McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll supply the kill switch. I have to pull the trigger stuff for Ron's project, so while I'm at it, I'll pull the kill switch for you. Hit me with a pm of your address and I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow. :cheers:

(the kill switch is the same, right?)

Thanks for the offer. I think Randymac has me covered, if not I'll get a hold of you.
Jim

Thanks for the offer. I think Randymac has me covered, if not I'll get a hold of you.
Jim

No problem, holla if RandyMac doesn't have it. :)

Well, guys, I need a new fuel line... the old one broke when I was carefully working it off of the carb fitting. Yes, I was doing so carefully. :bang: Stupid ethanol... I bet that's why it broke. :bang:

So if anyone has a new one they'll sell me or know of someone that will, let me know, I need one ASAP, I want to get this saw going again, without leaks of course. (Pro Mac 850)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No problem, holla if RandyMac doesn't have it. :)

Well, guys, I need a new fuel line... the old one broke when I was carefully working it off of the carb fitting. Yes, I was doing so carefully. :bang: Stupid ethanol... I bet that's why it broke. :bang:

So if anyone has a new one they'll sell me or know of someone that will, let me know, I need one ASAP, I want to get this saw going again, without leaks of course. (Pro Mac 850)

Thanks in advance.

They're sold on eBay every day. Unfortunately, you can get some that may be NOS but should be listed using a different first consonant as they are dry and hard. Ron

Looks great, much more organized than I am. I think I'm going to start doing it that way.

Thanks. Small zip-lock bags and a sharpie marker are lifesavers for me....I lose a lot less hard to replace stuff.
- Sam

It looks good, but somehow the cover is starting to oxidize, even with the clearcoat. I don't understand how it can do that. It should be sealed with the clearcoat. I guess I will just have to paint it yellow after it gets worse.

IMG_20110311_071603.jpg

I don't know the answer to your problem, but the saw does look sharp. What lenght of bar do you have on it in the photo? Ron

It looks good, but somehow the cover is starting to oxidize, even with the clearcoat. I don't understand how it can do that. It should be sealed with the clearcoat. I guess I will just have to paint it yellow after it gets worse.
That looks sweet!! I wonder if by clear coating it you trapped some moisture from the air that would cause oxidation. Only thing I can think of.

Had the day off. Actually made some progress on the 1-76. Just need to find a few parts and back together it will go. - Sam

175811d1299877927-s5002889-jpg

Looks real nice and clean. I am with cpr, dont think I have ever had everything that organized LOL. I like to play Easter egg hunt with each build. Looks like you will be done in no time!!!:clap:

Thanks Brian, it's a good thing I didn't get any more of the bench and shop in the picture....you might not think I'm so organized, lol - Sam

Ha Ha, cant be any worse than mine. The perimeter of my bench is cluttered with various parts for various saws and a few tools hear and there and a bag or two of misc. nuts and bolts. Out of my whole bench I only have a small spot in the middle to work on LOL.

Was it the original fuel line?

If so, ethanol had nothing to do with it.

I dunno if it was the original. It was still flexible, and became more so when it was exposed to fresh premix. In other words, it was a perfectly serviceable fuel line.

I think I may have stumbled over the actual problem... when I was taking the trigger assembly stuff out of the old tank/handle, I noticed a gasket stuck on the fill hole lip. That was likely the problem all along. :bang:

They're sold on eBay every day. Unfortunately, you can get some that may be NOS but should be listed using a different first consonant as they are dry and hard. Ron

Is there a way to save a dry and hard fuel line? I'd think you could.

See above for what I think was the original problem... :bang:

I finally got a good bar and chain for my 10-10a. 16" bar with new Oregon skip tooth chain. Here is a video.

[video=youtube;IfDhGaPAQVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDhGaPAQVU[/video]

Spent a couple hours in the shop tonight. No radio, all business. Things were in quite a state of disarray following the conclusion of several projects and it needed my attention. Ordinarily, the wiping down of tools and placing them in their rightful places is quite calming and therapeutic. The restoration of order from chaos. I was done much more quickly than anticipated as cold chromium steel surrendered to their slumber in darkend capitvity.

So what to do with bonus time?

Ah yes, begin the dream I had sown so long ago...

With a heave and prod the ghastly 790, salvaged from the slow white-death of it's premature tomb was set upon the altar of salvation. In it's ugliness lies an effervescent story of life at full song so often ended hot and astride the uncaring gape of a beast of burden.

This is to be the chariot of the most astonishing, the housing for fossil-fueled fury, yet the bespoke MC-101b, paid in full out of New York 4 weeks ago come Tuesday is not here...

The carb to feed this brute, proudly flaunting it's wire-tied velocity stack obtained 4 days hence out of Fresno, CA is here abiding...

while I smolder...

attachment.php

This situation shall be dealt with.

IMG_20110311_071603.jpg

I tried doing that with my 650 two years ago.
I did not polish as much as you did. Used clear coat too.
It looked good for a while.

attachment.php

Now it looks like this. I'm just going to paint them wrinkle black.
attachment.php

I tried doing that with my 650 two years ago.
I did not polish as much as you did. Used clear coat too.
It looked good for a while.

attachment.php

Now it looks like this. I'm just going to paint them wrinkle black.
attachment.php

Well...

that ain't no good....

Looked smokin' at first. Gotta figure this out.

I'm checkin' out for tonight. Feelin' lonesome, o'n'ry, an' mean...

IMG_20110311_071603.jpg

Two possibilities come to mind..Since the metal is porous maybe it had oxidation in the pores and should have been dipped in something to stop what oxidation was already there and it's possible you clearcoated it on a humid day and some humidity got into the paint. I have filters on my compressor but on a bad day some of the water still gets through. Looks pretty good in the pic, however.

Well...

that ain't no good....

Looked smokin' at first. Gotta figure this out.

I'm checkin' out for tonight. Feelin' lonesome, o'n'ry, an' mean...
Let us know what you find. From what I googled, the cast magnesium is highly reactive and passivation (thin layer of corrosion that prevents further corrosion) occurs quite rapidly. I didn't find any great suggestions. One person made sealing properly sound expensive and a niche process:
Only application of expensive methods such as laser polish give you possibility to have high-mirror finishing on magnesium for several years.

Let us know what you find. From what I googled, the cast magnesium is highly reactive and passivation (thin layer of corrosion that prevents further corrosion) occurs quite rapidly. I didn't find any great suggestions. One person made sealing properly sound expensive and a niche process:
Only application of expensive methods such as laser polish give you possibility to have high-mirror finishing on magnesium for several years.

I know that on aluminum wheels on a car, it seems like you have to keep polishing them all the time if they're not clear coated or they start looking dull. If they are clear coated you still have to keep them clean.

Latest posts

Back