McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... damn EPA and chromates... There USED to be a cheap work-around.

(there is some sarcasm in that comment - don't get excited)

I remember something about Leeha getting covers plated, that had it's own problems.

I went to 2 local chroming shops and they were both animate about cast aluminum not being able to be plated. Macs seemed to use a bit more tin and base metals for components making the chroming a good alternative.

Well, I ordered the fuel line and the rubber handle insert on ebay, so hopefully they will both be here sometime next week.

Does anybody know where to buy decent replacement fuel lines for 10-series Macs?

The ones I got in the mail today off ebay are GARBAGE. One of them split in half as I was handling it!

Ok here is what I have been thinking. I like the look of the polished metal, but the instant oxidation bothers me. The only thing I can think that would cause it is moisture being trapped under the clear coat. So here is the solution I came up with. I want to take the flywheel cover from the S44a polish it, and then take it clean it real well, put it in the oven for a bit to heat it up, and then paint it while its still hot, and then maybe put it back in the oven. Not sure if it will do anything but create more work, but in my mind it sounds like it should work. Any input?

Ok here is what I have been thinking. I like the look of the polished metal, but the instant oxidation bothers me. The only thing I can think that would cause it is moisture being trapped under the clear coat. So here is the solution I came up with. I want to take the flywheel cover from the S44a polish it, and then take it clean it real well, put it in the oven for a bit to heat it up, and then paint it while its still hot, and then maybe put it back in the oven. Not sure if it will do anything but create more work, but in my mind it sounds like it should work. Any input?

That might work. However, you would want to make sure you use a paint/clearcoat that can go through a process like this... also, I don't think going over ~100 degrees would be a good idea, as it may be possible to ignite the fumes or maybe burn the paint. I would do more research on it, if you haven't already.

Does anybody know where to buy decent replacement fuel lines for 10-series Macs?

The ones I got in the mail today off ebay are GARBAGE. One of them split in half as I was handling it!

I was wondering if those ebay aftermarket McCulloch X-10, 1-40/250, and Homelite Super XL fuel lines were any good. Doesn't sound like they are...:msp_sad:

I would wager that its a crap shoot no matte where you get them from. After all unless you can find reproduction fuel lines, they are all about 30 or so years old.

I was looking at the photo and thought it was a new manufacture line, as it does not have that bell on the end. I guess I may have just bought a 10 buck pos. :msp_angry: Hopefully it is a good line.

rwoods, did you get my pm?

I have brought two fuel lines from two different eBay vendors. One set was like new, nice and flexible. The other set was dull and hard. Kicking myself for not checking them early so I could identify who sold the good ones and who sold the bad ones. The good ones had the smaller diameter tank end. I don't know if they were reproductions or just fresher. Ron

I have brought two fuel lines from two different eBay vendors. One set was like new, nice and flexible. The other set was dull and hard. Kicking myself for not checking them early so I could identify who sold the good ones and who sold the bad ones. The good ones had the smaller diameter tank end. I don't know if they were reproductions or just fresher. Ron

I just ordered the one from the guy with the best ratings and ebay ribbons, hopefully the lines are as good as I need them to be. (probably should've ordered two, bet I'll break this one too. :bang:)

I know a source for the reproductions, and they will stand behind the quality of them. As far as how long they last, that has more to do with what you put in, or leave in the tank.

Latest posts

Back