McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, what's the deal with all these cuts from the 600-series saws. I've heard a number of reports here from people who have got cut by one, then got rid of it.
There's even one out on ebay that the seller calls "haunted". :laugh:

Hahaha, what's the deal with all these cuts from the 600-series saws. I've heard a number of reports here from people who have got cut by one, then got rid of it.
There's even one out on ebay that the seller calls "haunted". :laugh:

I'll take it! :bringit:

My first cut was from my Pioneer 1073 doing a full trigger drop start...

second was setting my 362XP down while its was still winding down. It was so clean I didn't feel it until my boot felt wet...:looser:

Two McCulloch's

Well if any of you have been to the Pioneer thread you know that's where I usually hang out.But two Mac's recently sneaked into my garage a Mac15, which I think is an awesome looking older saw and a big old yellow monster.I will takes some pics and post them in this thread.i will need help identifying the one for sure.
Thanks
Lawrence

Have you had any luck, Brian? Let us know how it's going.

I haven't been able to get back at it. But I now have a trivia question. Last night we watched Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. He cuts a tree down in his yard in a rage then cuts the wobbly newel post off at the top of his stair way with a chainsaw that looks almost identical to my PM 650 except the chain brake lever looks different...

What model is it?

I haven't been able to get back at it. But I now have a trivia question. Last night we watched Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. He cuts a tree down in his yard in a rage then cuts the wobbly newel post off at the top of his stair way with a chainsaw that looks almost identical to my PM 650 except the chain brake lever looks different...

What model is it?

Not being able to see it, but I would guess it would be the flag chain brake of the Super PM610, or the PM605, or the Eager Beaver, or the Timber Bear. That's if it really is a Mac.

Have you had any luck, Brian? Let us know how it's going.

NO!:chainsaw:

When I asemble it without the spring everything lines up good and I know now the pin goes under the black lever for sure. I "was" nearly positive the spring is in the correct place. The problem is that as soon as I try to force the straight arm on the spring back to get the pin through the brake band the other end of the spring jumps out and down. It seems like maybe the spring is NOT in the correct place. Can anyone snap a pic or two of an assembled brake so I can see where the spring is supposed to be? Below is where I "think" the spring should be.

I am soooo close. :cry:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's the way I show it, according to my saw pictures that i've zoomed in on, exactly the same way. I'm not too apt to take one apart and post the pics, for fear of not being able to get it back together again, plus I i'm pretty sure that's the way it goes. I'll check some of them when I get out to the shop today.

That's the way I show it, according to my saw pictures that i've zoomed in on, exactly the same way. I'm not too apt to take one apart and post the pics, for fear of not being able to get it back together again, plus I i'm pretty sure that's the way it goes. I'll check some of them when I get out to the shop today.

I AGREE! DO NOT TAKE YOURS APART.

I should have slowed down and realized I could have cleaned it up without taking it apart. :newbie:

I have now tried several times to get the chain brake reassembled. I am at a loss. The hooked end of the spring just jumps out of the lever no matter what I do. Something has to be wrong. :bang:

Yeah, i've had a bad week to sum it up. Three saws down now.....one I haven't got to yet, one needed a carb clean and upon doing that I see it also needs about 6 new fuel/oil hoses replaced, and one needs a vent valve and now it's putting a groove in and burning up the chain brake band when I run it. I don't know what to think.....

I did take a look at that spring placement like you were talking about. The hooked part goes against the cam lever like we had talked about (like you have in the picture). The straight end goes against the back side of the pin on the lever, that the brake band gets hooked to. So there has to be a lot of tension there.

Yeah, i've had a bad week to sum it up. Three saws down now.....one I haven't got to yet, one needed a carb clean and upon doing that I see it also needs about 6 new fuel/oil hoses replaced, and one needs a vent valve and now it's putting a groove in and burning up the chain brake band when I run it. I don't know what to think.....

I did take a look at that spring placement like you were talking about. The hooked part goes against the cam lever like we had talked about (like you have in the picture). The straight end goes against the back side of the pin on the lever, that the brake band gets hooked to. So there has to be a lot of tension there.

No kidding there's a lot of tension, hence the cut! I can push the spring back and get every thing together and lined up except that hooked end of the spring I cannot make stay up under that lever. Maybe I should search for a NOS spring and see if that fixes it. For all I know maybe the chain brake hasn't been working for years. I never tried it when I received the saw.

Some weeks are like this. Hope yours goes better and have a safe Labor day weekend.:cheers:

No kidding there's a lot of tension, hence the cut! I can push the spring back and get every thing together and lined up except that hooked end of the spring I cannot make stay up under that lever. Maybe I should search for a NOS spring and see if that fixes it. For all I know maybe the chain brake hasn't been working for years. I never tried it when I received the saw.

Some weeks are like this. Hope yours goes better and have a safe Labor day weekend.:cheers:

You might inspect the rounded edge of the cam, maybe there is wear there and it's too far gone to hold the spring.

Have a good one......

PM 650 brake issues

Does anyone see any reason I couldn't machine a spacer to go between the washer and the spring to keep it pushed up against the clutch cover? I don't see any wear and I see a saw on ebay that says "chain brake doesn't work" which makes me suspicious that maybe the design is flawed in this respect.:chainsaw:

Do you mean it's binding crooked?

No, the spring is just floppy croppy between the clutch guard and the washer so as soon as I put tension on it with the brake lever it just moves out toward the washer and jumps out of the lever/latch.

No, the spring is just floppy croppy between the clutch guard and the washer so as soon as I put tension on it with the brake lever it just moves out toward the washer and jumps out of the lever/latch.

Hmmm......have you posted a pic without the spring in place on the cover? I've forgotten. That might give away an issue.

This is my small list of the yellow fever.
MCCULLOCH 33A
MCCULLOCH 3-25 OUTBOARD BAR
MC CULLOCH D30
MCCULLOCH MINI MAC 6(WORLD'S SMALLEST)
MCCULLOCHPOWER MAC 6(LIGHTEST)
MCCULLOCH EAGER BEAVER
MCCULLOCH 10-10 AUTOMATIC
MCCULLOCH 10-10 MANUAL
MCCULLOCH 2-10
MCCULLOCH 15
MCCULLOCH MAC35
MCCULLOCH 35(RUBBER PLUG CAP)
MCCULLOCH 35(STEEL PLUG CAP)
MCCULLOCH SUPER 33
MCCULLOCH 33B
MCCULLOCH 1-53
MCCULLOCH 47
MCCULLOCH 3-25
MCCULLOCH PRO MAC 700 (5)
MCCULLOCH 1225A
MCCULLOCH 33D LE SABRE
MCCULLOCH 33
MCCULLOCH MAC 15
MCCULLOCH 1-53
MC CULLOCH D44.
MCCULLOCH D45
MCCULLOCH 380
PROMAC 10-10
PROMAC 55
MAC SUPER PRO 60
MAC 1-10
MINI MAC 6
MINI MAC
MAC SUPER PRO 40
MAC 110
PRO MAC 510
PRO MAC 610
MCCULLOCH 250 (Canadian)
MCCULLOCH 250 (USA)
MCCULLOCH 797
MCCULLOCH BP1(RECALLED)...RARE
MCCULLOCH D30(RECALLED)...RARE
McCulloch 140
MCCULLOCH POWER MAC 325AV
MCCULLOCH S44 (SUPER)
MCCULLOCH D36 (LUBRI-MAC)
McCulloch model 47
McCulloch 99

Alain,

Hmmm......have you posted a pic without the spring in place on the cover? I've forgotten. That might give away an issue.

I posted a couple pics earlier showing where I think the spring goes. Here is one of the area without the spring there.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back