McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is part of the problem. The oiler was working yesterday but I don't think it's working now. Where are the oiler holes located? The other part of the problem is the chain tension; I set it properly and a few seconds later it tightens up so much that it can't roll on the bar. I can fix it by loosening the bar nut and playing with the adjuster screw but it keeps happening. The only thing causing this that I can think of is a bad sprocket but I looked at it without taking it off and it looked fine. You're right, it may not be aligned properly. Is the bar supposed to be in the up position at the tip or aiming more down?

Kind of sounds like you might have a damaged chain. Has the chain jumped off the bar while you were cutting? Check the drive links for burrs. What kind of condition is the drive rim or spur sprocket in? If that part looks worn, it is, and it will prematurely wear out the drivers and the tie straps.

well my mate and i got the old rubbish dump cp125 running, thanks to all the help from all you mcculloch men. now we just need a bit more info on the carby settings and was wondering if anyone here has any info on the old girl. ive got to take my camera next time to get some pics and video of it running it sounds very nice, my ears are still ringing.

Last edited:
attachment.php

That looks like fun to run!

Kind of sounds like you might have a damaged chain. Has the chain jumped off the bar while you were cutting? Check the drive links for burrs. What kind of condition is the drive rim or spur sprocket in? If that part looks worn, it is, and it will prematurely wear out the drivers and the tie straps.

The sprocket looks good. The chain has never jumped off while I was cutting. It's nice and sharp, I know that! Could my bar be worn and need replaced maybe?

I am having some problems with chain tension on my Super Pro 40 (SP-40). I'll get the chain adjusted properly then start the saw and try to cut and the chain gets so tight that it can't move freely. I don't know if I'm missing a bolt somewhere or what. I am torquing the bar down tightly, there is only one nut that holds it on, correct?

Are you lifting the tip of the bar up
when you tighten the chain and bar nut.
If not that might be your problem.

Lee

Heimannm thanks for the IPL offer and for also saying where the oil adjuster was located.

I'm not sure if all the Mac's are the same, mine are. If you adjust the oiler screw, don't move it a whole lot. In this case, a little goes a long way.

5700-20 IPL needed

i need to know the part # for the throttle cable from carb to handle trigger for this model they did give me a 600# of 600134-17 but milicalawn site does not show a 5700 or that 600 # on there parts lookup screen

does anyone have a parts list for this model all i need is the part # of the throttle cable

thanks
calvin

I might have a picture of one to share with you. I've dealt with it on one saw, but that was more than I wanted. I was lucky to be able to force the thing back together. Between that and working with rewind springs, they about do me in. I hate springs under tension! Starter pawl springs are about enough for me.

Is yours the regular wraparound brake handle or has it been changed to the newer flag handle? Some memory makes me think the actuation works a bit different between the two.

I think mine is the "wrap around" brake handle. Here are some pics of what I am trying to reassemble. I think maybe my main problem is spring location but not sure. Can anyone explain how to get the brake assy back together?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:chainsaw:Thank You :chainsaw:

I think mine is the "wrap around" brake handle. Here are some pics of what I am trying to reassemble. I think maybe my main problem is spring location but not sure. Can anyone explain how to get the brake assy back together?

I can't tell you exactly how to get it back together, but can guide you through somewhat where the parts go just offhand. The big hole on the bottom of the lever gets screwed onto the cover at the corner hole with a huge bolt with a flat screwdriver slot. The pin out of the lever goes into the hole on the end of the brake band. The fulcrum cam then sits down and operates off that pin, if I recall. I can't quite picture how the spring fits in, but with trial and error you should be able to get it. I only took mine apart enough to realize I need to put it back together right away. That goes for any chain brake. I've had the one on my PM1000 apart a bit. Huge tension springs bother me!

I can't tell you exactly how to get it back together, but can guide you through somewhat where the parts go just offhand. The big hole on the bottom of the lever gets screwed onto the cover at the corner hole with a huge bolt with a flat screwdriver slot. The pin out of the lever goes into the hole on the end of the brake band. The fulcrum cam then sits down and operates off that pin, if I recall. I can't quite picture how the spring fits in, but with trial and error you should be able to get it. I only took mine apart enough to realize I need to put it back together right away. That goes for any chain brake. I've had the one on my PM1000 apart a bit. Huge tension springs bother me!

I completely agree. If I put it together without the spring your description is exactly how I thought it should be. Now if I can get a pointer on spring orientation and assembly method I will be home free! :cheers:

I will see if I can zoom in on some pics I have here. See what I can do for you. I don't have any chain brake pics, just checked.

Any help is appreciated! I want to cut my next cord with this one. :bang:

OK, the hooked part of the spring (side towards the inside) rests against the fulcrum cam when the cam is resting on the lever pin.
The straight end of the spring rests against the lever, in some fashion. :laugh: The rest is up to you! :)

Good luck!

OK, the hooked part of the spring (side towards the inside) rests against the fulcrum cam when the cam is resting on the lever pin.
The straight end of the spring rests against the lever, in some fashion. :laugh: The rest is up to you! :)

Good luck!

That actually makes sense. This way the spring pulls the fulcrum lever down onto the pin. I will give it a whirl! :cheers:

Good deal! :givebeer: :cheers:

Okay, Now I am 99.9% positive you are right. I cut my finger trying to fight the spring but at least I know it's right! :chainsaw: I am sure after a few more trys I will get it together. And no worries, a little nick is nothing like the 2 chain cuts I have had :poke: My wife thinks I am crazy for fixing chainsaws due to my accident prone record!

But it's so fun!

Back