McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a free 1-70 this weekend. I think that a full rebuild will be needed. Low to no compression, but it looks good overall, just dirty. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Started the 3514 today and cut a full cord of elm and cottonwood with it. Lots of smaller, dry logs, 12" dia. or less. Perfect saw for that and ran to perfection. Light, powerful, and fun to use. Idled beautifully and cut straight across. :cheers:
mac-4.jpg

Started the 3514 today and cut a full cord of elm and cottonwood with it. Lots of smaller, dry logs, 12" dia. or less. Perfect saw for that and ran to perfection. Light, powerful, and fun to use. Idled beautifully and cut straight across. :cheers:

Good! :bowdown:

I'm lucky if I can get a cord cut in a month, the way it's going it seems. :laugh:

Nice pics Ed! ;)

PM 650 parts ?

Does anyone know the outer and inner diameters of washer 111027 in the attached IPL page 2? I am putting mine back together and I am nearly positive that one of the washers is missing and the other is wrong. It appears from the IPL that the ID of the washer should be large enough for the spacer item 92071 to slide through it and the outer diameter should be the same as the handle/bracket end right? If anyone could verify that would be great.

From what I remember that would be right. Seems to be. Maybe the washer behind the screw is slightly smaller. ???

I've edited my words three times now, though. If I get out to the shop today I can check it out on the one that I have apart.

mac-4.jpg

Have you done anything to the muffler on that saw? I opend one up just a little on one of those, and it ran quite a bit stronger. I was able to leave the screen in there, and it was not very much louder. A very good friend of mine liked it so well that I told him to keep it.

From what I remember that would be right. Seems to be. Maybe the washer behind the screw is slightly smaller. ???

I've edited my words three times now, though. If I get out to the shop today I can check it out on the one that I have apart.

That would be great. I just want to get it back together correctly so the anti-vibe rubber parts don't get wrecked from incorrect or missing washers.

Thank You :cheers:

Have you done anything to the muffler on that saw? I opend one up just a little on one of those, and it ran quite a bit stronger. I was able to leave the screen in there, and it was not very much louder. A very good friend of mine liked it so well that I told him to keep it.
No. It's all stock, no muffler mod or removal. Running gas not laced with alcohol gives it a little more power. Like I said, I was lucky to find a pile of smaller stock, under 12" dia. That's perfect for this saw. Also, I always sharpen the chain every two or three cords and clean the air filter whenever I do that.

There has been very few things that have ever given me trouble over the years. I was a bit surprised at how long the starter rope is. Most saws carry one that's a foot shorter.

111027 Washer Dimension

Any luck getting to the shop? I found the washer P/N 111027 on ebay and asked for the dimensions but I don't know if he will give them to me...:chainsaw:

Sorry.....haven't so much as touched a saw today, actually for a few days now. Was watching kids, got my wood rack all built and positioned, and stacked a couple big pickup loads of wood on the rack. I will hope to do it in the morning. Weather permitting I plan to do some cutting, or at least cut up some kindling. So i'll at least be going into the shop. I thought I had a good amount of wood cut up, until I tossed out some bug-infested and rotted stuff I had stored, and got all of the newest stuff stacked on the rack. Now i'm like, man, i've got a lot of cutting to do yet. Time to fall a bunch of ash and some maple!! :)

I will plan to do it tomorrow. Hopefully! :laugh:

Got another saw coming, supposed to shipped tomorrow via UPS! :clap:

Last edited:
Sorry.....haven't so much as touched a saw today, actually for a few days now. Was watching kids, got my wood rack all built and positioned, and stacked a couple big pickup loads of wood on the rack. I will hope to do it in the morning. Weather permitting I plan to do some cutting, or at least cut up some kindling. So i'll at least be going into the shop. I thought I had a good amount of wood cut up, until I tossed out some bug-infested and rotted stuff I had stored, and got all of the newest stuff stacked on the rack. Now i'm like, man, i've got a lot of cutting to do yet. Time to fall a bunch of ash and some maple!! :)

I will plan to do it tomorrow. Hopefully! :laugh:

Got another saw coming, supposed to shipped tomorrow via UPS! :clap:

I know that feeling. I have zero stockpile and it takes about 12 cord to get me through the winter. Thank God I have 3 boys with lots of energy :)

Too bad you poor saps aren't a bit closer, I have almost no room left to stack wood and a bunch of trees slated to be cut down.

I am hoping to arrange a GTG in this area in October just to cut and split a pile of wood for the benefit of others, and an excuse to run some saws.

I have a couple of boys available to help as well, the following photo's were taken at the Antique Acres event this past weekend, I wasn't able to attend.

This is a McCulloch thread after all...

Mark

Josh with the SP125

attachment.php

Jeff and my beloved 1-85

attachment.php

I know that feeling. I have zero stockpile and it takes about 12 cord to get me through the winter. Thank God I have 3 boys with lots of energy :)

This wood rack is sort of a trial and error. There's no roof or canopy over this one. It would seem to work well from seeing the pictures and ideas on here. Heck, some people even stack there wood on bare ground, and it gets the job done for them. I just know that storing indoors in this climate doesn't seem to be the right thing to do. Too much moisture, mold, bug damage, and rot. I haven't exactly been hunting for and acclaiming the best wood in these past few years of this venture, but i'm getting pickier on what I keep. Acclaimed a bunch of ash from trimming the tree line, got some cherry from the church parsonage lot, cut out some volunteer mulberry from in the spruce rows of the folks' grove, and scavenged some maple, ash, and mulberry from cleaning up in the grove here. The idea of full-time wood burning for the first year is also trial and error. I'm concerned about leaving the fire unattended during the day and leaving the fan running constant, since there isn't a switch. If nothing else, it's just an excuse for getting the grove healthy and cleaned up, as well as being enthused with saws. Also it provides healthy exercise! :cool:

Last edited:
Does anyone know the outer and inner diameters of washer 111027 in the attached IPL page 2? I am putting mine back together and I am nearly positive that one of the washers is missing and the other is wrong. It appears from the IPL that the ID of the washer should be large enough for the spacer item 92071 to slide through it and the outer diameter should be the same as the handle/bracket end right? If anyone could verify that would be great.

Alrighty, as promised. The first thing on my list today. That washer measures 6mm internal and 21mm on the outside. I didn't measure that spacer, but it doesn't fit through the washer. The outside of the washer is about the same size as the boss of the handle, and is the same size as the washer on the other side of the handle. That end of the handle connects to the forward handle. Hopefully this helps.

Alrighty, as promised. The first thing on my list today. That washer measures 6mm internal and 21mm on the outside. I didn't measure that spacer, but it doesn't fit through the washer. The outside of the washer is about the same size as the boss of the handle, and is the same size as the washer on the other side of the handle. That end of the handle connects to the forward handle. Hopefully this helps.

Absolutely Perfect. Mine was definately not put back together correctly by someone. Thank you again :cheers:

Your welcome, hopefully the information I gave you was valid and helpful. :cheers:

What does your washer look like in that area?

The one that goes up agains the handle is missing and the one on the chain side of the rubber spacer is only slightly larger than the head of the bolt!

PM 650 Spark Plug

My PM 650 has a DJ8J spark plug in it. The IPL I have says RDJ6H. Does anyone know what the correct one is? Do I need more specifics of the model number tag?

My PM 650 has a DJ8J spark plug in it. The IPL I have says RDJ6H. Does anyone know what the correct one is? Do I need more specifics of the model number tag?

I believe the "R" indicates a resistor built in, something to do with Canadians flying small aircraft and radio interference or something like that. There should be little or no difference between that and the standard DJ6 plug. Only a slight difference between the DJ8J and DJ6J plugs, one heat range but I don't remember which is hotter/colder.

Wasn't that helpful?

Mark

Edit: the IPL calls for AC CS45T or Champion RDJ6, that might be helpful but my spark plug interchage chart says the CS45T changes with the DJ7J, now that just about clears it up, or not

Last edited:
I believe the "R" indicates a resistor built in, something to do with Canadians flying small aircraft and radio interference or something like that. There should be little or no difference between that and the standard DJ6 plug. Only a slight difference between the DJ8J and DJ6J plugs, one heat range but I don't remember which is hotter/colder.

Wasn't that helpful?

Mark

Mark

Oh yeah, went to parts store on lunch and one brand "e3" has a goofy plug that replaces,DJ6J and DJ8J with the same plug claiming easy starting...otherwise champion had normal DJ6J and "easy start" DJ6J that was advertised as "the one pull plug".

I didn't buy anything...

Back