McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of mine do....

That's a fine example of an earlier model. :clap:

Looks in pretty good shape. Nice to see that original bar on there, as well.

Do you have a picture of the back of it? I'd like to see which decal yours has, if it still has it.

PM 650 oil tank repair

I bought a replacement oil tank to fix my ruined and rotating bar bolt. There was a crack in the replacement tank so I decided to tap out the good bolts. I washed it in the dishwasher, used a dremel to rough up the casting. I then cut a washer in half to support the heads against the casting better. Then used Kevlar reinforced, oil and temp resistant epoxy to hold the reiniforcing in place and help keep the bolts in place. Here are some pics.

Hope it works! :chainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My 610 is close to that a little newer though it has a chain brake on it but the rest looks real similar

It must be a newer model with a non-wrap chainbrake. Does it also have a yellow starter assembly?

Yeah it is all yellow with a black top and the chain brake is just a band that goes around the clutch drum. Seems to be a good saw but can be tempremental at times.

metals,
i've been to both places. Billings was a nice town, but nothing remarkable. Kalispell.................God's summer vacation home must be nearby.....if someone goes to Yellowstone and then to Glacier, they will realize what a tourist trap Jellystone really is. not that there is not great beauty there, but the majesty and remoteness of Glacier is awe inspiring.

:cheers::cheers:

I bought a replacement oil tank to fix my ruined and rotating bar bolt. There was a crack in the replacement tank so I decided to tap out the good bolts. I washed it in the dishwasher, used a dremel to rough up the casting. I then cut a washer in half to support the heads against the casting better. Then used Kevlar reinforced, oil and temp resistant epoxy to hold the reiniforcing in place and help keep the bolts in place. Here are some pics.

Hope it works! :chainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very nice job! I did something very similar on an 056mag.

797 showed up today... it's a tad on the rough side... but it has tons of compression, and needs a good cleaning. It sat in a barn for 25 years... So the bar oil and crud is almost like it crystalized on the outside of the saw.

So I use some stuff made by POR-15 called Marine Clean... works great, and is water soluable. Won't mess up paint either. I cleaned up the recoil with it... it was almost black with crud... now the yellow really comes through. It's a lot cleaner than the rest of the saw.

It will be a winter project... :clap::givebeer:

36" bar and .404 chain. Oiler needs some work, and the carb prolly needs to be gone through... I cut with it. I will post a vid in the "noodles" thread. It did okay considering I haven't touched the carb or adjusted the oiler. Chain got a little hot, so I had to stop cuttin'... not enough oil... but I can really feel the torque from the 123cc's. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Last edited:
797 showed up today... it's a tad on the rough side... but it has tons of compression, and needs a good cleaning. It sat in a barn for 25 years... So the bar oil and crud is almost like it crystalized on the outside of the saw.

So I use some stuff made by POR-15 called Marine Clean... works great, and is water soluable. Won't mess up paint either. I cleaned up the recoil with it... it was almost black with crud... now the yellow really comes through. It's a lot cleaner than the rest of the saw.

36" bar and .404 chain. Oiler needs some work, and the carb prolly needs to be gone through... I cut with it. I will post a vid in the "noodles" thread. It did okay considering I haven't touched the carb or adjusted the oiler. Chain got a little hot, so I had to stop cuttin'... not enough oil... but I can really feel the torque from the 123cc's. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Are you gonna do a complete restore on this one Gary?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Nice saw Gary, There one of my favorites.
I have a few and all were as dirty if not worse
than yours but they cleaned up nice. Is this
the one from S-K if so you did well.

Lee

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Great lookin saw Gary, it should clean up nice. A 36" roller nose bar and a loop of .404 chisel would have this beast flyin and lookin the part. Gotta love that big west coast dawg on there. The oiler is adjustable and a lot of times they were turned all the way down when they were stored. I got a couple of 125sp macs that were like that. Enjoy.

Nice saw Gary, There one of my favorites.
I have a few and all were as dirty if not worse
than yours but they cleaned up nice. Is this
the one from S-K if so you did well.

Lee

It is Lee... I missed the one that had the cool roller nose bar. I think that one was in a little better shape than this one. But I'm happy none the less...

Randy... I have never got to run an SP... would love to compare someday. Next years PNW get together I will have all my monsters there... :)

Gary

Gary, maybe you should plan a tour of the East coast next year...have all of the GTG's scheduled to match your timeframe....I'd personally like to have you autograph a bottle of HP for me...

Nice saw, BTW....

:cheers:

Thanks for the link.

I'd check it out if it was closer. I suppose I could email them..... I see it says that it was never used and only started. Then at the end it says that it was only used a few times.

I'm not sure what it would have over the Titan 50, or Titan 560. Anyone know? I've heard that they're real doggy, compared to a 560. Probably no more HP then a 610 or 650. Only advantage is a vertical cylinder (if that's an advantage), probably weighs a pound less than the PM605 or Timber Bear.

Latest posts

Back