McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thick rings = 0.062" or there abouts, the ones I just checked with my dial indicator seemed to be 0.063+

Thin rings - 0.025".

While I was up there looking I found two sets of 48691, thin rings for the 2.125" bore saws like the 1-81, 1-45, 1-72, 1-75 and several of the kart engines.

Mark

I understand that the thin vs thick ring thing, especially with the 80/87cc macs. Are the thick or thin rings .062"? I don't have any Mac rings outside of the saws to measure at the moment. The 1-76/86 saws are listed with both types of rings in the 1962 McCulloch Pistons/Cylinders?Rings parts list.

Just ran out to the shop and checked the 1-76 rings with the micrometer, looks like about .025 with crappy light and no glasses - Sam

Mark, the rings in question are off of a saw with a scored piston and fairly pathetic compression - I am looking for new rings as well. They do seem to be out there though, just a matter of money as always - Sam

Mark, the rings in question are off of a saw with a scored piston and fairly pathetic compression - I am looking for new rings as well. They do seem to be out there though, just a matter of money as always - Sam

You guys don't need to spend big bucks on rings. You can get rings made on the cheap at Otto Engine Works- Home

Got a G-70 that has a 1/2 pitch chain and want to switch it to .404. Anybody have a spare sprocket or know where to get one?

Thanks,

I lucked out, have an adapter.

008-1.jpg

Sorry Randy, only the one, it will be transfered to a 2-10G to run a 28" bar with 3/8" sawchain. I got that one from Ric, who didn't quite catch me before I hauled the saw off.

it looks like a rim sprocket on an adapter, now that is quite different. I don't know how tough it would be either, for a lower cc saw probably wont be a problem.

Looking at the IPL it lists one for .404 as an option, somebody has to have one or know where to get one....they did make it....right?

What other saw does it swap parts with easily?

Thanks Randy,

Randy

I'm talking to myself' now, what's next...

So now we know where you got it, anything out there that will work...maybe from another saw? Or am I stuck with 1/2 chain.

Were you laughing as you were running?

1/2" Chain + 1/4" file= Sharp chain, now get to work!!!! :msp_wink:

But really, you don't have a monster HP saw, no speed demon. So unless the 1/2" chain is shot, why don't you just use it??

Latest posts

Back