McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which macs does this fit ? my 1-71 uses a broader tailed bar. the chain rubs on the side plates with this one.

attachment.php

the slot is 3/8" wide

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just a guess but I would say PM800 series since it is narrow at the end?

If that bar has a 3/8" slot, it's either a 10-series bar (such as for a PM800 like Shane suggested) that has had the slot opened up from 5/16" to 3/8", or it's a "slim line" bar intended for the large frame McCullochs (such as your 1-71) when used with a set of special bar plates once sold by McCulloch (and maybe others) to allow it's use without rubbing. Guys have made their own bar plates for the same purpose (to use 'slim line' and 10-series bars on the big saws). Slim Line bars were an attempt at putting "lightweight" bars on the large, old saws. They are also what many of the the SP/PM105 and CP/SP125 saws were sold with....

Last edited:
What saw's the best candidate for a MC91 engine?

CP/SP125, just like with the 101's. If you use the non-AV top tank saws (such as a 790), you will run into serious intake restriction unless you cut out the intake manifold and carb box floor sections of the lower tank half. I have a 790 tank with a busted intake manifold flange that may someday get butchered that way for a 'kart saw' project, since it's useless in the stock configuration.

eccentric- i like the "slim line" version, makes sense. at 24" the bar is heavy built. it has a 3"+ beam and weighs 3+ lbs. it would seem light on the 1-71.
i was eyeballing it for the cp-55 'cause of the tip but it would really make it nose heavy. the 55's hardnose bar is narrower yet.
what material should i use for bar plates ? i noticed the large ones were spring steel when i tried to tweek them !

Since these plates aren't any wider than the bar and don't take abuse from the chain, I'd think that mild steel would work fine. I have a 24" bar on my PM700 (about the size of your CP-55), but it's a much slimmer 'modern style' D176 Poulan/Echo/McCulloch sprocket nose Windsor Speed Tip.

i'll look to the modern bars for the cp-55, don't know much about bar types, but do have some poulan echo spares around. the windsor speed tip sounds good.
found a pair of plates for a sp-125 on the bay, will have to check spacings.

What saw's the best candidate for a MC91 engine?

CP/SP125, just like with the 101's. If you use the non-AV top tank saws (such as a 790), you will run into serious intake restriction unless you cut out the intake manifold and carb box floor sections of the lower tank half. I have a 790 tank with a busted intake manifold flange that may someday get butchered that way for a 'kart saw' project, since it's useless in the stock configuration.

I put one in a 790 chassis. It's easier than the 125, and not any more restrictive than a 125 through stock reeds. Plus you can fit the much larger 48890b flatback without hacking up the airbox. Actually, a 250 would be easiest. The small saws were designed for the 90 series engines, the big ones for the Super series.

Last edited:
I put one in a 790 chassis. It's easier than the 125, and not any more restrictive than a 125 through stock reeds. Plus you can fit the much larger 48890b flatback without hacking up the airbox. Actually, a 250 would be easiest. The small saws were designed for the 90 series engines, the big ones for the Super series.

Yep, Thats what i was gonna say.
Stuff the 91 in a 250 and have a real sleeper.

Lee

eccentric- i like the "slim line" version, makes sense. at 24" the bar is heavy built. it has a 3"+ beam and weighs 3+ lbs. it would seem light on the 1-71.
i was eyeballing it for the cp-55 'cause of the tip but it would really make it nose heavy. the 55's hardnose bar is narrower yet.
what material should i use for bar plates ? i noticed the large ones were spring steel when i tried to tweek them !

This is what you need: MCCULLOCH BAR SPACER GUIDE PLATES 125 105 STBX292 | eBay Ron

Help with a 300

Hellow, while checking different places for old saws i have found a 300 that is complete but has no spark. Since i don't have any yellow saws in my collection i am undecided on wheather to keep it and get it running or trade for something i know, are these saws sought after by the McColloch collectors?

Latest posts

Back