McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is, I took it apart and looked at it, the gears in the pump and the worm gear are really messed up, the pump worse than the worm gear. If I had to I think I could use the old plastic worm gear but the pump gear is shot. I have a smaller Mac plastic saw but I don't think the oil pumps are alike.

Ahh crap, eBay is your friend now

Photo0415.jpg

forgot to mention $8 out the door.

Im going back a few pages, but Jim here's your saw at work, I shot this clip a few years ago.

[video=youtube_share;cBhC8AG6v2s]http://youtu.be/cBhC8AG6v2s[/video]

I finally got the photo's on to my computer...as promised the 1-51 from Mr. Bowsaw (Cliff).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After taking the photo's I did find the spike Cliff sent along so that is now mounted as well.

Enjoy!

Mark

Mark, here's the bro to your One -51, A clip I took a few years ago. this saw ALWAYS starts and runs all day. Well maybe half a day, when I'm ready to put it back in the truck. anyways a nice old example of 87cc front tank vintage mcculloch.

[video=youtube_share;LIEzuiEbnRc]http://youtu.be/LIEzuiEbnRc[/video]

Any luck with the number?

That was their number, unfortunately they didn't have the parts. They gave me the spare parts number and they were NLA also. I called MTD, the manufacturer and they couldn't help and I also called Sears which came up empty. The saw is a re-badged McCulloch, built by MTD for Sears. Nobody would help with parts for this $250 saw that is less than 5 years old. You, meaning all chainsaw buyers, should learn from my experience when buying a new saw. I'll probably just parts this thing out since parts are scarce for this saw and parts seem to get chewed up easily on this thing. I have an old Homelite 150 that would out cut this thing! I've liked McCulloch saws for many years but I'm no fan of these "Made in Taiwan" monstrosities!

That was their number, unfortunately they didn't have the parts. They gave me the spare parts number and they were NLA also. I called MTD, the manufacturer and they couldn't help and I also called Sears which came up empty. The saw is a re-badged McCulloch, built by MTD for Sears. Nobody would help with parts for this $250 saw that is less than 5 years old. You, meaning all chainsaw buyers, should learn from my experience when buying a new saw. I'll probably just parts this thing out since parts are scarce for this saw and parts seem to get chewed up easily on this thing. I have an old Homelite 150 that would out cut this thing! I've liked McCulloch saws for many years but I'm no fan of these "Made in Taiwan" monstrosities!

Thanks for the learning experience at your expense......Now Straight gas it and put it out of its misery.

Some help identifying an old mac

I was given an old mac yesterday and It looks like and 1-85, 1-86 but I am not sure. It has these number on the case bottom L66 on one side of the case and 2567 on the the other. Can't find either of these on acres vintage collectors site. It is clutch drive, has the plastic grid air intake over the oiler and choke. Full wrap alloy bar. If it is at, or Under 100 CC I will make sure it get to a good mac lovers home. If it is over 100 cc then I might think of running it on a mill. It spins freely but the recoil needs a spring so I can't start it. Plus I understand you need to remove the muffler and clean the cylinder before you attempt to start it.

I was given an old mac yesterday and It looks like and 1-85, 1-86 but I am not sure. It has these number on the case bottom L66 on one side of the case and 2567 on the the other. Can't find either of these on acres vintage collectors site. It is clutch drive, has the plastic grid air intake over the oiler and choke. Full wrap alloy bar. If it is at, or Under 100 CC I will make sure it get to a good mac lovers home. If it is over 100 cc then I might think of running it on a mill. It spins freely but the recoil needs a spring so I can't start it. Plus I understand you need to remove the muffler and clean the cylinder before you attempt to start it.

Those numbers don't tell me anything. Can you post a pic.
I'm assuming it's a geardrive.

Lee

I suspect the first set of numbers are, in fact, 1-86 but can be hard to read. That would indeed make it a 1-86 which is 99cc. The 1-86 is a gear drive saw and might not be the best choice out there for milling.

The same engine was used in the 1-76, direct drive saw and it is possible that someone converted it from gear to direct drive. I have one or two of the 55/S55/S55A saws at home that have been converted from gear to direct drive.

Photo's please, let's see what you have there.

As regards to milling, the 1-76/1-86 may not be the best choice as neither model has an automatic oiler in the stock form.

Mark

Latest posts

Back