McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get ready to double your investment if you are looking for any bar over 28". Long bars have really gone up in price the last year or so. 28" is a nice fit and NOS ones can still be had for a fairly reasonable price. Ron

I know how it is, just like when a woman buys a new shirt then she needs to have the matching shoes. And pants. And hat. I could just cut everything with a 20" bar, but... What it I am cutting a piece of 21" wood?

Don't baby step up your bar, I have 24 inch bars on both my 82cc 10 series saws and while it is a nice size bar length for the cutting I do the saws seem to want a lot more. I thought I had a nice 28 inch bar but it ended up being the large Mac mount, which is ok I will see if it will mount up properly on my 8500.

Don't baby step up your bar, I have 24 inch bars on both my 82cc 10 series saws and while it is a nice size bar length for the cutting I do the saws seem to want a lot more. I thought I had a nice 28 inch bar but it ended up being the large Mac mount, which is ok I will see if it will mount up properly on my 8500.

I run a 8 tooth sprocket with my 82cc Mac that has a 28" bar. Its no problem, but that is the max size for the 8 tooth In my opinion.

The 82cc Mac, 8 tooth, and 24" bar is a real fun combo! I can't wait to get my 404, 8 tooth, 20" bar combo set up for my SP81. That should be fun.

Jim your 8500 Poulan takes the D096/D196/UXL/TXL mount bars (like a Homelite XL-12 or SXL-925) bars (unlike some earlier saws of the series which take the D176 bars). I have an NOS Oregon 28" .404-.063G sprocket nose bar (old style Oregon replaceable sprocket nose) that I might to trade for your 28" large Mac mount bar (or something else McCulloch related........excluding mini macs). Also have an NOS Tsumura 30" 3/8-.050G sprocket nose D096/D196 mount bar that I may just be persuaded to trade........for something really nice. PM me about 'em ifya want.

I run a 8 tooth sprocket with my 82cc Mac that has a 28" bar. Its no problem, but that is the max size for the 8 tooth In my opinion.

I agree. My SP-81 does fine with a 3/8-7 rim and a 32" bar in hardwood, but I wouldn't want to run a 3/8-8 rim with the same bar and wood.

Last edited:
I don't actually know the limit of an 82cc. I don't know what MAC thought either. The IPLs list the 32/33" with 3/8" pitch as the longest. But I have a few of those in .404 pitch. I also had a 37" (40.5" OAL) in .404 pitch. I had the slots milled to the large MAC mount on one of the 32/33" and the 37" .404. The 28" bar is actually closer to 27". The 28" balances pretty well. Over that and it gets nose heavy. I have a 37" with a 3/8" square chisel skip chain (past life for both - an ice cutter) mounted on one of my PM800s. I was not overly impressed with it the one time I used it cutting a large maple. Not sure if it was the chain or the saw as both were new to me and I lack the means/skills to sharpen square chisel. 28" seems to be longest without being cumbersome to fit in my suv. 24" works better for me when I'm bucking stacked hardwood logs (mostly 15" to 24" diameters). A 20" .404 would be the ticket for me in dirty stacks. Ron

drug out these for a pose. need to spin up some loops for a couple. have a few more of them that are runners but need clutch covers.
attachment.php

I have one 800 that wears a 37" mac roller nose with a 7 pin and full comp 3/8's all the time. Like Ron says it is nose heavy. It's mainly a gtg saw,I have cut and blocked a lot of different wood 28" to 36". The secret is a sharp chain,find the sweet spot and let her eat. A 24" bar and a 8 pin is a joy to run on one of these 82cc macs,but I am biased.

'"

So I posted a "wanted" ad on my local craigslist for older McCulloch chainsaws. I got a call from the clown who was selling a 10-10 auto for $200( same saw I asked you guys about a few weeks ago). I told him the reason I didn't call him in the first place is cause that saw isn't worth $200 to me.....or anyone for that matter. Tells me make an offer......I say...$40, $50 tops. He didn't appreciate the low ball price I gave...in his head anyways. I sent him on his way. Then he wonders why his ad has been on craigslist for 3 months. People kill me with some of the prices they want.

Heres his ad CHAIN SAW

So I posted a "wanted" ad on my local craigslist for older McCulloch chainsaws. I got a call from the clown who was selling a 10-10 auto for $200( same saw I asked you guys about a few weeks ago). I told him the reason I didn't call him in the first place is cause that saw isn't worth $200 to me.....or anyone for that matter. Tells me make an offer......I say...$40, $50 tops. He didn't appreciate the low ball price I gave...in his head anyways. I sent him on his way. Then he wonders why his ad has been on craigslist for 3 months. People kill me with some of the prices they want.

Heres his ad CHAIN SAW

That's a really nice looking 10-10A, but not worth $175. More like $50-$60 even in that shape............tops.

Last edited:

Heres his ad CHAIN SAW

There is a guy here who thinks very highly of the 10-10 and started out at $200 a month or so ago, and now I see he has it for $60, which is still a little high as I just sold one for $50.

That's a really nice looking 10-10A, but not worth $175. More like $50-$60 even in that shape............tops.

I agree, started at $200 and literally its been on CL for months!

There is a guy here who thinks very highly of the 10-10 and started out at $200 a month or so ago, and now I see he has it for $60, which is still a little high as I just sold one for $50.

This guy may come down to $60 after 3 years:bang:

I agree, started at $200 and literally its been on CL for months!

This guy may come down to $60 after 3 years:bang:

I kinda like the 10-10 saws better than the 610s. How is it that on ebay the 610 is selling for almost $200? I agree that $200 is a little steep for that 10-10 or the 610 but I really think that a good one should be more than $50...

I kinda like the 10-10 saws better than the 610s. How is it that on ebay the 610 is selling for almost $200? I agree that $200 is a little steep for that 10-10 or the 610 but I really think that a good one should be more than $50...

It's a mystery. PM610 saws almost always go for more money than 10-10's on CL and ebay. Since we've been flapping our gums about 'em here on AS over the last year or so, the 10-series saws have all bee going way up in price on feebay however......:bang:

Is that how the handle bar is supposed to be bent? I was looking to replace it on one but it looks just like it.

photobucket-448-1326687851991.jpg

Here's the 10-10A I fixed up. Now belongs to Unclemustache (he won it in the Stumpbroke Raffle). Handlebar looks about the same. My PM700 and 7-10A are close too.

It's a mystery. PM610 saws almost always go for more money than 10-10's on CL and ebay. Since we've been flapping our gums about 'em here on AS over the last year or so, the 10-series saws have all bee going way up in price on feebay however......:bang:

photobucket-448-1326687851991.jpg

Here's the 10-10A I fixed up. Now belongs to Unclemustache (he won it in the Stumpbroke Raffle). Handlebar looks about the same. My PM700 and 7-10A are close too.
sometimes things that feel right don't look right.:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back