McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you check the box that says Host pictures with Tapatalk (or something like that) they will show up.

Thanks, I'll try it. Here is the new 38" for the PM850

44715d0c-b35d-ef00.jpg

Aaron I have a 3-10 somewhere in my ever growing pile, but I think it is in rough shape, though it should have some good parts on it. I will dig it out and try to post some pics.

Aaron I have a 3-10 somewhere in my ever growing pile, but I think it is in rough shape, though it should have some good parts on it. I will dig it out and try to post some pics.

See Joey. You're not my only enabler......:D

Jim I'm off to go pull your RH start Mac parts (for your "YOU SUCK" $8 McCulloch 740......LOL) in a few minutes. It's cooling off enough to go out to the shop and tinker.:cheers:

How does the 850 like the bigger bar? Mine only has a 20" on it and it seems to need something bigger. I dont really need a 38" but a 28-30 would probably be nice. Where did you get the McCulloch bar?

28" and shorter sprocket nose D176 bars are still being made by Oregon. You can get them from any Oregon dealer (including site sponsors such as Baileys). Beyond that, you'll need to get used or NOS bars. They're around. My SP-81 does well with a 32" Windsor Sprocket nose.

100_3755.jpg

How does the 850 like the bigger bar? Mine only has a 20" on it and it seems to need something bigger. I dont really need a 38" but a 28-30 would probably be nice. Where did you get the McCulloch bar?

i was hoping someone would ask. this is the 38" bar with 3/8 .063ga chain. 7 tooth sprocket, standard sequence, chisel bit, 15 month old hickory. it satisifies that little YELLOW midget on my shoulder telling me to keep buying more Mac stuff.

[video=youtube;LBL0w2ib-nU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBL0w2ib-nU[/video]

I do not remember seeing a carb. without an idle adjustment screw. Some of them have a screw in the body of the carb. that is set at an angle. It goes through the body of the carb. and holes the throttle flap open. Tom

Yep. There were saws didn't have an integral idle speed adjustment screw on the carb. Those saws instead had the long, external adjustment screw that bears on the throttle arm. Joey posted a few pics of that setup a page or so ago.

Some of those saws have carbs with an integral an idle speed screw that goes through the carb body and bears on the throttle plate inside the venturi. The 10-10A I posted a pic of on the last page is one of those saws. Others had an external adjustment screw that threads through the carb box and bears against the throttle arm. Your carb was from a saw which used an external adjustment screw. Your carb box casting was from/for a saw that had a carb with an integral idle spreed screw. You can see the un-machined boss for the external adjustment screw on the left wall of the carb box (just to the left of the throttle arm). You can see that it's angled towards a flat on the throttle arm. You can either carefully drill/tap your carb box for that screw, swap an external adjustment screw tank/carb box on, or swap on a carb with an integral adjustment screw....

Here is the idle screw you need

View attachment 240241

View attachment 240242

View attachment 240243

Dennis, I'll send you the tank, air box lid, and idle screw. You can heat the lids and peel off the labels so you can keep your 2-10 label if you like.

here is my 3-10, it is a bit rough around the edges but turns over smooth, does it matter if it is a electric start? it seems to be missing the electric start equipment.
Photo0423.jpg

Photo0422.jpg

Photo0421.jpg

it has one of those funky carbs in it.

here is my 3-10, it is a bit rough around the edges but turns over smooth, does it matter if it is a electric start? it seems to be missing the electric start equipment.

it has one of those funky carbs in it.

That is indeed a 3-10E. It's missing the rear handle brace/battery box, as well as the RH start clutch cover. If you pull the flywheel cover you'll see a second coil for the alternator/charging/starting system. The flywheel is different too. That taller than usual red thumb button on the rear handle is something you only see on the 'E' model 10-series saws such as the 3-10E, 5-10E, and 10-10E. Bullfrog carb eh? Dangit...CAD's a mean mother. Shouldn't be at all interested in that saw (or Joey's). Shouldn't be anyways.....:bang:

i was hoping someone would ask. this is the 38" bar with 3/8 .063ga chain. 7 tooth sprocket, standard sequence, chisel bit, 15 month old hickory. it satisifies that little YELLOW midget on my shoulder telling me to keep buying more Mac stuff.

[video=youtube;LBL0w2ib-nU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBL0w2ib-nU[/video]

I would say it likes that bar. It is sounding good, not even a little bit bogged down in the double big wood. Very nice, I need to buy me a bigger bar.

I would say it likes that bar. It is sounding good, not even a little bit bogged down in the double big wood. Very nice, I need to buy me a bigger bar.

Get ready to double your investment if you are looking for any bar over 28". Long bars have really gone up in price the last year or so. 28" is a nice fit and NOS ones can still be had for a fairly reasonable price. Ron

Get ready to double your investment if you are looking for any bar over 28". Long bars have really gone up in price the last year or so. 28" is a nice fit and NOS ones can still be had for a fairly reasonable price. Ron

Yep. There are always a few NOS 28" McCulloch branded sprocket noses (usually MXL mount Windsor Speed Tips) for reasonable money on feebay. Also, the current production Oregon D176 mount bars don't cost any more than the same bars made for the 'mainstream' saws. Who knows how much longer they'll be produced however....

Back