McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my 250 didn't have a spit guard... must've been not installed in the beginning or it was discarded if/when the carb was rebuilt.

Did this originally come on every 250 or did they not install them for certain years or was it completely random, like some of the other stuff McCulloch did?

None of the HL equipped front tank Macs that I've handled had those spitback shields. Either they were removed, or they were just left out. My 200/250/300/etc IPL's don't show them. I don't have many of the earlier 1-40 series and 1-50 series IPL's.

PM8200 as well. Same basic saw as the DE-80. I've never seen one in persion. Haven't even seen a pic of a PM8200. I have seen the IPL however...

Aaron, the 8200 is closer to the 800/805 than the DE80. It shares the same tank/handle, carb, intake, etc with the PM series. The one I own and all I have seen have a half wrap handle bar. Also unique to them is a three piece crankshaft. It doesn't have a DSP althought it can be retrofitted - just need to find the almost NLA valve, remove the muffler bracket bolt, drill a small hole into the cylinder at the bottom of the bolt hole and replace the bracket bolt with the DSP valve. Ron

Aaron, the 8200 is closer to the 800/805 than the DE80. It shares the same tank/handle, carb, intake, etc with the PM series. The one I own and all I have seen have a half wrap handle bar. Also unique to them is a three piece crankshaft. It doesn't have a DSP althought it can be retrofitted - just need to find the almost NLA valve, remove the muffler bracket bolt, drill a small hole into the cylinder at the bottom of the bolt hole and replace the bracket bolt with the DSP valve. Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I just ASSumed that the PM8200 was at the end of the run (like the PM4300) and never looked close enough at the IPL to see the intake boot (instead of the DE style setup. You have one eh? Did you post pics of it? You have examples of every stage of this series correct? A few pics of them lined up from SP-80 through DE-80 would be neat to see. An AS member in Sacramento has a PM800 that he'd like to retrofit with the coarse thread DSP valve if we ever find one for him. I may have a line on a local PM805 (friend sez he knows where one with a half-wrap handlebar is) and would like to retrofit it with a DSP valve if it doesn't have one too. Not certain that this 'lead' is going to pan out though...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Ron. I just ASSumed that the PM8200 was at the end of the run (like the PM4300) and never looked close enough at the IPL to see the intake boot (instead of the DE style setup. You have one eh? Did you post pics of it? You have examples of every stage of this series correct? A few pics of them lined up from SP-80 through DE-80 would be neat to see. An AS member in Sacramento has a PM800 that he'd like to retrofit with the coarse thread DSP valve if we ever find one for him. I may have a line on a local PM805 (friend sez he knows where one with a half-wrap handlebar is) and would like to retrofit it with a DSP valve if it doesn't have one too. Not certain that this 'lead' is going to pan out though...

Sorry, Aaron, but I sold or gave away all of my older series (SP81E and PM850s) and I sold my DE80 (although I have a parts saw). Ron

Here are my 5 cubers that run, less another SP-81 I gave to my brother. All with newly acquired Windosr/Mac bars. Also not in the picture is an e-bay bought PM805 that some idiot tried to rebuild and left a screw inside the muffler. The piston now has a chunk taken out, right to the ring....

The two saws without bars both run, I just have no desire to keep bars on them.....

View attachment 242970View attachment 242971View attachment 242972View attachment 242973

The order is: SP80, SP81, PM800 (28" bar), DE80 (24" bar), PM8200 (20"). I do not have a PM850.....sorry. Pic 007 is the DE80 airbox and 009 is the PM8200

bob

I like the color combination of the DE80 although the grey of the PM8200 is pretty neat as well. The full wrap is nice to use but it is in the way when removing the clutch cover - really easy to scrape the paint off the saw saw while removing it. Ron

As I was going through the 10 Series saws getting them cleaned up and organized to put up on the new shelving, I came across this one I'd nearly forgotten.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good compression, strong spark, carburetor and fuel system in good shape. I cleaned it up a bit, added fuel & oil and the saw was running. I'll keep it with the rest of the "10's" but it will also go to the woods with me next time I head out.

I also added a little bling for the shop...

attachment.php

Mark

I have a nice running McCulloch 250 and have a question about the carb... Is there a piece missing that covers the end of the carb within the airbox? There's a couple holes and I did not know if there was a part that attaches over the end? My grandpa hadn't started the saw in fifteen years and it started up in no time. Totally awesome saw!! View attachment 242937View attachment 242938

Do you have the air filter for the saw?

I agree. My SP-81 spools up much faster and revs higher than my PM700, despite having many many more hours on it than the smaller saw.

So you found some NOS engine parts eh? Good deal. Can't wait to see that saw up and running.:cheers:

I just picked up a 'junker' SP-81 for a 'junker' price. Dirty and a bit corroded (no pitting though), with a locked up engine and soft AV mounts. It's complete however, and will get torn down completely, repainted, and reassembled with NOS parts. Randy had been trying to get my NOS P/C for his project (and I don't blame him), but I'd been saving them 'just in case' I found a 'rebuilder' saw. A buddy found this SP-81 in a local shop boneyard and grabbed it for me. I really like running the 82cc 10-series saws, and am glad I'll have a 'pretty' one as well as a seasoned, former logging saw (my runner came from a local logging family). The 'pretty' rebuilt saw will still get ran however. It's not going to be a shelf queen.

My 'new' saw has a 33" McCulloch branded Windsor sprocket tip bar. My current runner SP-81 has a 32" unbranded Windsor sprocket tip. It's funny that those two lengths were both made for these saws. The 32" bar carries better on these saws IMHO. I'd seen the 33" bar listed in a few IPL's before (#91284, and uses 106DL of 3/8), but this is the first one I've seen in person. Haven't seen the 32" bar listed in the 10-series IPL's, yet I've handled a few. I'll shoot a couple pics of the dirty bugger and put them up. Funny thing is that I thought my runner looked dog-eared...................well now it looks 'new' in comparison to the second saw.:D

Yep. The big 10-series saws are the only 82cc Macs. Homelite made 82cc XL700/800/900 series saws as well as several 82cc EZ/EZ-6/7-19/600D/etc large frame saws. The large frame McCullochs jumped from 80cc to 87cc, skiping the 5ci/82cc number.....

PM8200 as well. Same basic saw as the DE-80. I've never seen one in persion. Haven't even seen a pic of a PM8200. I have seen the IPL however...

As Randy said, the spitback guard/collector was sometimes bolted to these carbs. Also, the basic HL body casting was used in several configurations. On some saws, the air filter assembly bolted to the back end of the carb. Those holes serve no use on a saw that doesn't have a spitback collector or an attached air filter, but it'd make no sense to have a second set of dies to cast a carb body without them. The mixture needles were also sometimes placed at the back of the carb instead of the side (often on saws that had the attached air filter assembly). An HL will have blank, unmachined hole sections (with 'H' and 'L' cast over/next to them) for whichever needle location wasn't used on that particular carb (be it on the side or at the back).

I have seen a few junkers on ebay here lately. Seems like about 100$ is bottom dollar for a junker on ebay. Seems like they are all getting a good price right now. I have plenty of time to look though, as I havnt had time to spend in the garage anyway. I have a couple to finish still, and still waiting on a box o 125 to come to my door.

Shoot him an offer at $55 .... it's free.

very true words right there, not a bad idea

It's a shame that some of these good saws just don't attract much money. That 10-10 in good, clean condition is easily worth over $100. On ebay those big old 610s bring almost $200, I believe the 10-10 is a much more usable saw.

He may have some luck on ebay getting some good money for it but a lot of people dont want to deal with shipping and paypal etc. A local cash buy is always easiest IMO

Ive been following this guys ad for a bit and ive even spoken to him and offered $60 or so a month ago and he wouldnt take it. Not trying to rip the guy off but if its not selling its obv not worth what he is looking to get around here. Its not worth a $100 to me either. We will see.

Here are my 5 cubers that run, less another SP-81 I gave to my brother. All with newly acquired Windosr/Mac bars. Also not in the picture is an e-bay bought PM805 that some idiot tried to rebuild and left a screw inside the muffler. The piston now has a chunk taken out, right to the ring....

The two saws without bars both run, I just have no desire to keep bars on them.....

View attachment 242970View attachment 242971View attachment 242972View attachment 242973

The order is: SP80, SP81, PM800 (28" bar), DE80 (24" bar), PM8200 (20"). I do not have a PM850.....sorry. Pic 007 is the DE80 airbox and 009 is the PM8200

bob

Very nice collection Bob. Thanks for posting those pictures.:cheers:

I've never seen an SP-81 with a yellow gas tank. To me it looks like somebody swapped a PM850 gas tank onto that SP-81. Could be OEM though. McCulloch changed colors a lot...

242970d1340577604-house-storm-005-jpg

242971d1340577661-house-storm-006-jpg

242972d1340577711-house-storm-007-jpg

242973d1340577765-house-storm-009-jpg

Last edited:
photobucket-31592-1339312683049.jpg

photobucket-8222-1339312683552.jpg

Here's my runner SP-81 next to my SXL-925. 32" Windsor Speed Tip. I swapped on a short CB type clutch cover from an SP-70 because the park I cut in requires chainbrakes.

photobucket-23318-1340611746711.jpg

photobucket-33184-1340611741889.jpg

photobucket-28954-1340611742951.jpg

photobucket-19177-1340611741353.jpg

Here's my 'new' rebuilder SP-81. Engine's locked up. Has some heavy corrosion inside the fuel tank. Also has heavy corrosion and pitting on the bottom plate/handle brace. May have to replace those. Took this pic after wiping down with my ATF/Kerosene mix. It was much more 'grey and fuzzy' with corrosion beforehand. Some yahoo sprayed white paint on much of the saw (to make it look like a creamsicle maybe). Also has a creamsicle plug wire/cap swapped on. That will get replaced for sure. Saw is FILTHY, and the AF had a 1" tear in it which allowed the saw to eat a pound of dust. No mystery as to why it locked up. Single needle SDC51A (like the SDC52A on my runner). 33" McCulloch branded Windsor Speed Tip. Got it for little $$$ (thank God, as this one's either a rebuilder or a parts saw).

Very nice collection Bob. Thanks for posting those pictures.:cheers:

I've never seen an SP-81 with a yellow gas tank. To me it looks like somebody swapped a PM850 gas tank onto that SP-81. Could be OEM though. McCulloch changed colors a lot...

Good eye. That gas tank isn't the original one. It's yellow, but it works fine. i bought that saw a few years ago on ebay from Sawking. The price was right for it. The SP81 my brother has is the "normal" all lack tank & cover.

I will also admit that the PM8200 is my least favorite of the bunch. I prefer the DSP on the other saws. I also know I could drill it out, and I have spare a DSP, but I'm afraid to drill into the cylinder bore. Especially when i have other saws that will handle the jobs....

If I had the money, I would have bought Joey's PM4300 and set that saw and the PM8200 on a shelf, showing off Mac's last gasp before bankruptcy.

very true words right there, not a bad idea

He may have some luck on ebay getting some good money for it but a lot of people dont want to deal with shipping and paypal etc. A local cash buy is always easiest IMO

Ive been following this guys ad for a bit and ive even spoken to him and offered $60 or so a month ago and he wouldnt take it. Not trying to rip the guy off but if its not selling its obv not worth what he is looking to get around here. Its not worth a $100 to me either. We will see.

You might be right dealing locally where you are but around here it's usually cheaper on ebay, even with the postage. Local guys around here do it for a business and try to get as much out of you as they can.

Dsp?

Is the DSP valve and the compression relief the same thing? I see a lot of talk about them and am curious.

Ray

Latest posts

Back