McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RH start Mac finally came into my possession. I haven't pulled it apart but, the last four digits stamped on the block are 6250. Is it possible to ID from that or do I need to pull the bottom shroud off?

Just a quick wipe down and what you see is what you get. Notice the fuel and oil caps, fire damage? The paint doesn't look to be burned up.

I'm thinking it's a 10-10 variant by the look and the AF cover, but the muffler has me puzzled. Could find no direct match for the '6250' in my list .. :confused:

I'm also thinking the plastic damage is from some sort of chemical ..

I'm thinking it's a 10-10 variant by the look and the AF cover, but the muffler has me puzzled. Could find no direct match for the '6250' in my list .. :confused:

I'm also thinking the plastic damage is from some sort of chemical ..

There is at least one more digit at the beginning of the number, I need to pull the shroud to see it.

I think you're right with the chemical, the inside of the cap is fine just the outside is pock marked.

RH start Mac finally came into my possession. I haven't pulled it apart but, the last four digits stamped on the block are 6250. Is it possible to ID from that or do I need to pull the bottom shroud off?

Just a quick wipe down and what you see is what you get. Notice the fuel and oil caps, fire damage? The paint doesn't look to be burned up.

9dc71bb09249769989d5fb7e863abdac.jpg

38238e17c4d4543d87fc7c083f0e1d99.jpg

6f1ca4c4f55312d6e5e74bf16f020b0f.jpg

6c374ffeb10e2a3c5e3c16585b697e9b.jpg

a83f556c0ee6b934fba2c640caab8edf.jpg

05b2b1ee265a5a4f787769964f22ab6a.jpg

7d0e4b4df696f48aa762278289b5a623.jpg

9f2625cca9a56e0284e56cad41192126.jpg

That Mac like many others may be a combination of parts from several saws. The previous owner may have put that fuel cap on the saw from another saw that burned. The oil cap looks like it just has dirt on it. McCulloch made those saws so much alike that many parts could be interchanged, I consider that to be a good thing.

Dang, I thought you were going to tell me it was a sp125 based on the block number. :cry:

Maybe next time. :D

Hey now there's a thought-take a few 10-10's ad an SP81 and pretty soon that will equal a 125:D:laugh: I should have thought of that sooner!

Here are the pics of the rim set up on the 660. pulled the plug and got spark so next will be the fuel system.

Photo0602.jpg

Photo0604.jpg

Photo0605.jpg

Jim, Those rim drive adaptors are a scarce item.
I have one on my 101 geardrive and have been
on the hunt for a few more with no luck. As far
as i can tell Oregon made them but can't find a
part number yet.

Lee

Nice adapter Jim, I have to find some of those. I do have a few rim type sprockets that fit directly to the shaft, pretty cool items to have a well.

Tom, I would say you have some sort of Frankensaw, I can't think of any RH start saw that would have include the operator presence lever on the handle. None the less, SDC carb will make that one very easy to work on. I have all kinds of starter parts if you find you have a need in that area.

I will try to post some photos tomorrow of my NOS red McCulloch that just arrived today.

Mark

You are indeed a lucky guy ... If I were you, I'd clean it out real well and hang onto it for an extra day or two to 'fine tune it in the wood' for your friend. :D I run mine with a 24" and it is a little beast ..

An SP-81 would run the hell out of a 20" b/c with a 3/8-8 rim. Mine runs a 32" b/c with a 3/8-7 very well. I'm going to 'play' with 20" and 24" b/c's on my SP-81 at some point. Once I do, I probably will no longer think as highly of my PM700 and 7-10A when they're running 24" b/c's.....:D

Nice adapter Jim, I have to find some of those. I do have a few rim type sprockets that fit directly to the shaft, pretty cool items to have a well.

Tom, I would say you have some sort of Frankensaw, I can't think of any RH start saw that would have include the operator presence lever on the handle. None the less, SDC carb will make that one very easy to work on. I have all kinds of starter parts if you find you have a need in that area.

I will try to post some photos tomorrow of my NOS red McCulloch that just arrived today.

Mark

Mark did you get the twin cylinder Mac engine that Mr "Welcome to Shop Talk" was selling?:popcorn:

An SP-81 would run the hell out of a 20" b/c with a 3/8-8 rim. Mine runs a 32" b/c with a 3/8-7 very well. I'm going to 'play' with 20" and 24" b/c's on my SP-81 at some point. Once I do, I probably will no longer think as highly of my PM700 and 7-10A when they're running 24" b/c's.....:D

My favorite saw to run is a SP81 with. 20" .404. It's a light saw with decent AV (especially when the AV is worn) an excellent power.

My favorite saw to run is a SP81 with. 20" .404. It's a light saw with decent AV (especially when the AV is worn) an excellent power.

Interesting. I have an SP-80 .404 spur sprocket that I may try if I ever luck out on an SP-80. I have a 28" NOS Oregon .404 sprocket nose that I may try on one of my XL-900 series Homelites as well. I do like the BIG chips thrown by .404, and its ability to stay sharp longer in dirty wood....

Regarding the 82cc Mac AV mounts.............I was planning on using the 'most solid' mounts both front and rear on my second SP-81 when I rebuild it. I like 'firm' AV mounts on my saws. Heck, most of my saws are non-AV anyways.....:D

The SP 80 and 81 share a common muffler mount though the actual mufflers on the two were different.

Most PM850's also have a similar mount and will interchange. The PM805 and 800's have the big mufflers with the upright screens and utilize a different mount system. As with all thing McCulloch, you may find early versions of the 800 and 805 with the older style mufflers that would swap back.

Aaron, watch for the photos but I think you already know...

Mark

Mark

The SP 80 and 81 share a common muffler mount though the actual mufflers on the two were different.

Most PM850's also have a similar mount and will interchange. The PM805 and 800's have the big mufflers with the upright screens and utilize a different mount system. As with all thing McCulloch, you may find early versions of the 800 and 805 with the older style mufflers that would swap back.

Aaron, watch for the photos but I think you already know...

Mark

Mark

yes very nice on the NOS engine, one of 4.:clap:

100_3753.jpg

My SP-81's both have the same muffler as what's pictured on your SP-81. This is an older picture of my SP-81 when it was wearing the (much better looking) non-CB clutch cover that it came to me with. I still have that cover safely put aside, but am running an SP-81/SP-70 short CB type clutch cover on the saw because CB's are required on "work saws" at the state park I cut in. I can run non-CB saws there for "historical testing" purposes only...

My "rebuilder" SP-81 also has a non-CB cover, even though my IPL's only show the CB type cover on the SP-81's and the non-CB covers on the SP-80's. The grandson of the original owner of my runner SP-81 said "I see you put the chainbrake back on the saw" when I showed him the SP-81 recently. To me that means his grandpa must've swapped the non-CB cover on at some point.

IIRC, the SP-81 IPL shows a few different mufflers. I can't double check that right now, as my SP-81 IPL's are "trapped" in my dead computer's hard drive, along with hundreds of other IPL's and SM's. Gotta 'rebuild' my library. The discs sent to me by Ted and Mark will go a long way towards that end.:cheers:

100_3753.jpg

My SP-81's both have the same muffler as what's pictured on your SP-81. This is an older picture of my SP-81 when it was wearing the (much better looking) non-CB clutch cover that it came to me with. I still have that cover safely put aside, but am running an SP-81/SP-70 short CB type clutch cover on the saw because CB's are required on "work saws" at the state park I cut in. I can run non-CB saws there for "historical testing" purposes only...

My "rebuilder" SP-81 also has a non-CB cover, even though my IPL's only show the CB type cover on the SP-81's and the non-CB covers on the SP-80's. The grandson of the original owner of my runner SP-81 said "I see you put the chainbrake back on the saw" when I showed him the SP-81 recently. To me that means his grandpa must've swapped the non-CB cover on at some point.

IIRC, the SP-81 IPL shows a few different mufflers. I can't double check that right now, as my SP-81 IPL's are "trapped" in my dead computer's hard drive, along with hundreds of other IPL's and SM's. Gotta 'rebuild' my library. The discs sent to me by Ted and Mark will go a long way towards that end.:cheers:

My SP81 is sporting the same muffler as yours. The cover cracked straight across at the lowest louver.

Mark did you get the twin cylinder Mac engine that Mr "Welcome to Shop Talk" was selling?:popcorn:

Agreed!

Latest posts

Back