McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found in a attic, is it now a parts saw?

Sell/trade it to Mark. I don't think he has an SP-80 yet................and he most likely has the parts to fix it. I already have an SP-81 to rebuild (and most of the needed parts, except a fresh intake boot, gaskets, seals, and AV mounts). I had to (strongly) remind myself of that fact to avoid trying to make a trade deal with you for your saw. Mark is our official "Keeper of the Yellow and Black" and needs to have a running example of each McCulloch in his collection..:D

how would new piston/rings interact with the grooves at the top of the cylinder?

I assume not well!

Cylinder marked "A"

That's very interesting. Maybe it was already rebuilt sometime in the last 40 years. An 'A' cylinder takes a #92518 piston/rings/bearings assembly. If you rebuild the saw, be sure to replace the crank seals, intake boot, and impulse line. Don't want to ruin new parts with an air leak....

how would new piston/rings interact with the grooves at the top of the cylinder?

I assume not well!

Yikes. I hadn't seen those in the pic earlier. You're talking about the two 'rings' going arount the circumference of the cylinder wall near the combustion chamber? That almost looks like the piston rings had rusted to the chrome bore. They look to be roughly the width of the piston rings (which are thick here, unlike the thin rings we usually see in this saw series). Hard to tell from the pics......are those actually grooves or are they stains/deposits? If they're stains/deposits then they may clean off with the acid...

Those would be grooves!

Is the plating missing there? If so, then the jug is shot (except for an expensive replate). Those grooves sure look like they match the rings. In one pic I can see what looks to be the ring gap. I wonder if the rings rusted to the bore (condensation can do that when engines sit for a long time), then were torn free (taking some plating with them) when somebody pulled on the rope....

I would bet that's what happened, saw sat in a barn attic for at least 20 years...didn't even think about the rings taking chrome with them.

Amazing the thing had compression, though low.

Another project:rock:

Thanks for the help guys!

McCulloch Bars

Hey Tom, Hey Joey! Caught you looking.

There were a fewhard nose bars made to fit big old McCulloch saws in 0.050 gauge but they were few and far between. I think I have one on my 650 up on the shelf (keeping everything in theme here).

There were many more bars made in 0.058 and 0.063.

I have a good supply of .404/.050 chain if anyone needs some. It is Oregon brand and has humps like a safety chain.

My 660 has the McCulloch flat back with choke, starts and runs very well for a tired old saw.

Mark

I have several new Oregon Bars from years 60 to 80's mainly hard nose to fit old McCullochs.
Contact chainsawlady for sizes and price.

Haven't posted here in while, so...last week I stopped over at Officer Mike's (a patrolman for the sheriff's dept. I know who heats with a OWB) to help him get a start on the cull logs from his FIL's property being logged. Apperntaly a WOT Super 250 can wake someone up a 1/4 mile away. (Mike works the night shift) Only having a ms290, so Mike wanted try the out the Mac in this 14' long red oak which was 28" at this end down to 20" at the other end.

attachment.php

2 cuts was enough fun for him so I finshed it off for him.

attachment.php

Got 11 rounds (2 were already spilt when I took this pic) and plenty of sawdust/mulch.

attachment.php

Met my first SP81

A good friend of mine brought me an SP81 last night(family heirloom....dang!) to go through and see what it needs to get operational. These things are Impressive!! I know that y'all had warned me about the upper end of the 10 series Macs, you were all correct! This specimen has not had a lot of use. It has the full wrap handle, and the A/V mounts are solid, not even any micro cracks in the surface. P/C look good, just needed a spark plug and after 10 pulls on old gas, it roared to life. After that it starts on 1-2 pulls. I will take all the covers off and give it a thorough cleaning and sharpen the chain for him. With the 20" B/C even with the safety link chain that is on it, I bet it will cut like crazy! The problem I have now is finding one for me! To my earlier musing of building some sort of "kit" saw, my idea would definately be the 10 series, and zero in on the 10-10, a PM700 option and an SP81/850 option. I think that it can be done. :rock:

Last edited:
A good friend of mine brought me an SP81 last night(family heirloom....dang!) to go through and see what it needs to get operational. These things are Impressive!! I know that y'all had warned me about the upper end of the 10 series Macs, you were all correct! This specimen has not had a lot of use. It has the full wrap handle, and the A/V mounts are solid, not even any micro cracks in the surface. P/C look good, just needed a spark plug and after 10 pulls on old gas, it roared to life. After that it starts on 1-2 pulls. I will take all the covers off and give it a thorough cleaning and sharpen the chain for him. With the 20" B/C even with the safety link chain that is on it, I bet it will cut like crazy! The problem I have now is finding one for me! To my earlier musing of building some sort of "kit" saw, my idea would definately be the 10 series, and zero in on the 10-10, a PM700 option and an SP81/850 option. I think that it can be done. :rock:

You are indeed a lucky guy ... If I were you, I'd clean it out real well and hang onto it for an extra day or two to 'fine tune it in the wood' for your friend. :D I run mine with a 24" and it is a little beast ..

I was running my sp81 last weekend. Only a 20" b/c in some red and white oak, but that saw is pretty impressive.

I cut up a few logs and shut the saw down. My friend, who was not wearing hearing protection, says "Hey man, you know I'm all about loud, cool stuff. But, that mother####er is LOUD!."

He didn't find the pm1000 to be to bad. Especially after the sp81. :D

RH start Mac finally came into my possession. I haven't pulled it apart but, the last four digits stamped on the block are 6250. Is it possible to ID from that or do I need to pull the bottom shroud off?

Just a quick wipe down and what you see is what you get. Notice the fuel and oil caps, fire damage? The paint doesn't look to be burned up.

9dc71bb09249769989d5fb7e863abdac.jpg

38238e17c4d4543d87fc7c083f0e1d99.jpg

6f1ca4c4f55312d6e5e74bf16f020b0f.jpg

6c374ffeb10e2a3c5e3c16585b697e9b.jpg

a83f556c0ee6b934fba2c640caab8edf.jpg

05b2b1ee265a5a4f787769964f22ab6a.jpg

7d0e4b4df696f48aa762278289b5a623.jpg

9f2625cca9a56e0284e56cad41192126.jpg

Back