McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have look for a short. One thing that bugs me is the coil sits in a recesse with a shroud over it. Do you think they over heat? i wonder if i cut a chunk out of the shroud if that would help them last...

Brian

Hey mark, what do you think about that carb mod a few posts up? Will that work well with those fitting you got?

That should eliminate some of the issues with the fuel line kinks in the standard set up. Certainly if you make up new fittings you can match the fuel line to whatever carburetor you have, including the one in the McCulloch kit with with the 1/8" line. Same goes for the line in the tank, just match a filter to the fitting in the tank and away you go.

Mark

Picked up this little gem today.

Photo0599.jpg

Photo0600.jpg

Photo0601.jpg

I wish, darn thing cost me $7.

are the specs on acres site correct, I see they do not have the proper picture?

what would be a good ass whippin' bar length, I have a 40 inch hard nose McCulloch bar sitting here.

The Acres listings for the 650 and 660 are all screwed up. They list the 650 as a direct drive when it's actually a gear drive like your 660. They're both 87cc front tank Mac gear drives (the picture on the Acres listing is of a top tank Mac) with 'compact' gearboxes within a large clutch cover. Built with 2/1 and 3/1 gearboxes. 19/32" diameter output shaft with a single key. 1/2"-7, 1/2"-8, and .404-8 sprockets are easy and cheap to find (compared to other gear drives). Here's the 'master' IPL for this saw series. Hopefully you have the mn/sn tag. My saw is missing the tag.

http://www.smallenginediscount.com/Mc_650_660__Oct_70.pdf

Many changes were made in the series. Fuel tank/auto oiler assemblies were changed, and the saws were equipped with Tillotson HL carbs, primer-type McCulloch/Walbro 'flatbacks', and choke-type 'flatbacks'. My saw had a primer-'flatback' that I swapped out for a Tillotson HL-63. Dave's 660 has a primer-'flatback' that he'll soon replace with the HL63 that I hooked him up with.

The 650 has the same 87cc engine as the 300 direct drive (my saw has both '300' and '650' stamped on the block), while the 660 has an 87cc engine similar to a Super 250. The main difference between the 650/660 engines and the 300/S-250 engines is the crankshaft. For some reason, McCulloch used a straight (non-tapered) PTO crank end and threaded clutch spider (same part # as the spider used on a 200 or 'standard' 250) with these saws instead of the tapered PTO end and clutch hub (as used on all other 87cc McCulloch saws that I know of). That makes the 650/660 crankshaft unique, as the only 1.5" stroke large frame Mac crank with a non-tapered end.

Your 40" bar will go fine with the saw. You can easily figure out the gear ratio of your saw by turning the clutch drum (which is exposed, unlike on most gear drives) and counting to see how many revolutions it takes to turn the sprocket one turn. My saw is 3/1, while Dave's is 2/1. Some of these saws also have the ratio stamped on the gearcase. Mine doesn't. My saw han NOSs a 31" hardnose and a loop of 1/2" chipper. I'd like to put a 40-48" bar and a loop of .404 chisel on it. I already have the .404 sprocket.

photobucket-14827-1347849751429.jpg

photobucket-15374-1347849752497.jpg

photobucket-21033-1347849745872.jpg

From what I could see before it got put away it has a HL carb and a rim drive, I did not take off the rim to see what it was but I assume it is .404. I have a few part saws here for the few things that are broken but the bottom hole that holds on the dawg is broken and I will have to have it welded up and re drill and tap. I will did deeper tomorrow for the other info that you posted, thank you BTW.

From what I could see before it got put away it has a HL carb and a rim drive, I did not take off the rim to see what it was but I assume it is .404. I have a few part saws here for the few things that are broken but the bottom hole that holds on the dawg is broken and I will have to have it welded up and re drill and tap. I will did deeper tomorrow for the other info that you posted, thank you BTW.

Post some pics of that rim drive setup. That'd be cool to see. The spikes mount to the special 650/660 specific fuel tank front (the tank is specific to the 650/660 saws too). Bryce had a used tank front listed on feebay a while ago. Even if it's not listed anymore, he may still have it available to sell. Those holes aren't tapped. The spike is held on with screws and nylock nuts. The nuts are held captive in the flange cast into the tank front.

Post some pics of that rim drive setup. That'd be cool to see. The spikes mount to the special 650/660 specific fuel tank front (the tank is specific to the 650/660 saws too). Bryce had a used tank front listed on feebay a while ago. Even if it's not listed anymore, he may still have it available to sell. Those holes aren't tapped. The spike is held on with screws and nylock nuts. The nuts are held captive in the flange cast into the tank front.

Will get pics tomorrow as it is too dark for my phone. There is a 3.0 stamped on my gear case, the carb is a HL63B, and there is a auto oilier in the gas tank. Also the rim is .404 7 pin, and it has the metal tag with the serial #. So I may be able to clean up the mount and use some JB weld to form up around it for a red neck fix.

Back