McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's your prize!

Not the trap, just the mouse!

mousetrapwithdeadmouse16638.jpg

BP399-T

McCulloch was planning to get into the snowmobile/ATV/ATC market and were going to build the balanced piston engines as they significantly reduce the vibrations induced into the machines. According to the Popular Science article noted earlier, they had plans for 10 models from 147cc single cylinders all the way up to 1200cc's but no specifics were included on the number of cylinders for the ones over 399cc. HP range was indicated from 10 to 100 HP.

There was an SAE paper written as well (The McCulloch BP-399-T Snowmobile Engine and Its Installation, 720260) by Harry I. Hazzard of McCulloch Company.

Mark

that looks awsome.:msp_thumbup: I like that bar that's hanging up behind your'e saw too.

Thanks!

That bar is awaiting a saw...

I had hoped it would work on the 5-10E but no dice.

Which saws have the 3/8's bar mount?

Can I use spacers (or similar) to fit it to the 5-10?

-Andy

I may just do that.

Aaron will be along in a bit and see this. Those originally were links to posts he made here.

Thanks, searching for "3/8 Bar Mount" returns a novel that would rival War & Peace

-Andy

There were two typical adapters to fit the 3/8" bar stud slot bars to saws with the 5/16" studs.

One was a small "spring" the fit over the 5/16" studs with a 3/8" O.D., you could likely make the same kind of adapters by cutting short sections off a piece of tubing with a 5/16" I.D. and 3/8" O.D. Some of the bars being sold on e-bay today (GM in OH?) note that they will work with either large or small frame saws and come with the adapters.

The second was an "S" shaped sheet metal that fits over the 5/16" bar studs to space it out to 3/8". Again you could make your own from a thin strip of 22 gauge material.

I have both types at home but don't remember the part numbers off the top of my head.

Bars with the 3/8" slot will fit everything from the D-44 all the way up through the SP125 including D's, 55's, 1-4X, 1-5X, 1-6X, 1-7X, 1-8X, 200, 300, 400, 500, the old gear drive 600, 700, 800, CP125 and SP125. Include the 33/35/39 saws as well as the BP-1.

The only possible catch is some of the D-44 and 1-40 saws used a bar adjust scre withi an oversize head that fit a milled notch in the bar rather than the more conventional adjuster dog and screw arrangement.

Mark

Back