McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was the 105, but just wanted to be sure. I guess I should have made myself more clear about it being a real Mac :laugh:

I am anxious to get to the VA gtg to hopefully finally get to run some of these big Macs. Just from the talk, I almost want a Super 797 more than I want the Dolmar 166 I already have.

I would pay more money for the big cube American anything than I would for the big cube foreign any day.

Last edited:
A quick check of the rings will tell if it is a Super, the "regular" 797 has more beans.

Here they are...

281760d1361940277-797-rings-jpg

View attachment 281760

-Andy

Found this little hot rod today, just couldn't pass it up.

Photo0747_zps58f35f38.jpg

Photo0749_zpsb24fc927.jpg

Photo0748_zps6d451282.jpg

Opened it up and it looks way better on the inside than it does on the outside, filled the tank with gas, twisted the knobs on the carb and a few pulls later I get this. I will not know for sure until I get it in the wood but it feels a bit stronger than a standard 10-10.

[video=youtube;YX8oMZ3jcsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8oMZ3jcsA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Best dadgum $4 I have spent in a while.
those 70+cc's of vintage 10 series awesomeness can sport a 28" bar with authority! 20" will be like nothing for that saw! Nice score! Oh and BTW-you SUCK!:rock:

I was cruising back home along the N Ore coast and happened by a saw shop, the owner and I swapped stories for a good bit, come to find out his dad knew Bob McC in the 40's and became one of the first Mac shops in the PNW in the 51' I believe is what he said. He has a running BP-1 sporting a very interesting B/C- a Borg/Warner Sprocket nose bar with a prototype Oregon chain, that rides completely in the bar groove except for the cutter teeth! Next time I am by there I will have the sense to snap a pic or two and post them on here! He has a decent stash of Mac parts, didn't see all he has, he wont be gifting is stuff away, as the shop is his bread n butter, I think he will be fair to deal with tho. He knows Macs very well. Nice guy, too.

minosi - looks like thin rings to me, should be a regular 797 I believe, but let's have one of the real experts confirm the number on the bottom of the saw. If you just happened to stumble on that saw, what a great find.

You can also try to measure the bore by carefully inserting a wire or something through the exhaust port. I have used the depth gauge on my dial caliper a time or two as well, get one reading with the piston covering the exhaust ports, and another to the opposite edge of the cylinder then subtract. 797 will be 2.28" bore, 795 is 2.22" bore.

Mark

Last edited:
Gents,

Picked this out of a barn today...

This particular saw had the wrong clutch cover, I'll steal one from a 1-71 parts saw I have.

Missing rear shield.

Compression is OK, the "arm" gauge thinks 120ish.

DSP works.

Had the wrong muffler, threw on the one you see.

Very strong spark, though the wiring needs some clean up work...some exposed wire.

No bar and chain.

I'm used to seeing "1-70" or similar stamped on the bottom but this doesn't have that.

What is it?

281714d1361927993-barn-find-0-jpg

View attachment 281714

281715d1361927998-barn-find-1-jpg

View attachment 281715

281716d1361928002-barn-find-2-jpg

View attachment 281716

281717d1361928007-barn-find-3-jpg

View attachment 281717

281718d1361928012-barn-find-4-jpg

View attachment 281718

As always, thanks for the help!

-Andy

You got your self a regular 797 brotha. 123cc's of fire breathin Mcculloch.
Very nice saw. Parts from other models will interchange as well. Get her
up and runnin and lets see a video. I've restored many, If you need any
advise shoot away.

Lee

minosi - looks like thin rings to me, should be a regular 797 I believe, but let's have one of the real experts confirm the number on the bottom of the saw. If you just happened to stumble on that saw, what a great find.

You can also try to measure the bore by carefully inserting a wire or something through the exhaust port. I have used the depth gauge on my dial caliper a time or two as well, get one reading with the piston covering the exhaust ports, and another to the opposite edge of the cylinder then subtract. 797 will be 2.29" bore, 795 is 2.22" bore.

Mark

The 797 has a standard bore of 2.280 unless it's been overbored.

Lee

You got your self a regular 797 brotha. 123cc's of fire breathin Mcculloch. Lee

Thanks Lee:rock:

I spent some time last night finding some parts...have a rear shroud, spikes, some random bolts/nuts and the chip deflector assembly coming.

She does seem tired though, have not done a compression test yet but for 123cc's she is a little easy to pull over. As you can see from the pics there is no scoring so I assume she could use a new set of rings.

The DSP valve is seating properly, and the plug is snug so those are not the culprit.

Looks like I can get rings from Perry, I just need to determine bore...if there is another source please let me know.

Earlier, RandyMac stated the "regular" 797 has "more beans", I thought the Super was more desirable?

Obviously I'm thrilled at what it is, just curious on what makes one "better" than the other.

Seems like the Super has thicker rings, which is better for longer bars in softwood (right?) however I don't see how that's necessarily "better".

Another question I have relates to the fuel line, it does seem small...should I be concerned?

Would a Tilly HL bolt on, without an adapter?

-Andy

Last edited:
Thanks Lee:rock:

I spent some time last night finding some parts...have a rear shroud, spikes, some random bolts/nuts and the chip deflector assembly coming.

She does seem tired though, have not done a compression test yet but for 123cc's she is a little easy to pull over. As you can see from the pics there is no scoring so I assume she could use a new set of rings.

The DSP valve is seating properly, and the plug is snug so those are not the culprit.

Looks like I can get rings from Perry, I just need to determine bore...if there is another source please let me know.

Earlier, RandyMac stated the "regular" 797 has "more beans", I thought the Super was more desirable?

Obviously I'm thrilled at what it is, just curious on what makes one "better" than the other.

Seems like the Super has thicker rings, which is better for longer bars in softwood (right?) however I don't see how that's necessarily "better".

Another question I have relates to the fuel line, it does seem small...should I be concerned?

Would a Tilly HL bolt on, without an adapter?

-Andy

I think the 'Super' is more desirable to some simply because it has "Super" in the name. It has a few 'improvements' over the 'regular' 797, but has less aggressive porting and less 'beans'. The 'regular' 797 is more desirable to most of us. Are you positive that the DSP valve isn't leaking? That could still be the source of your saw's lackluster compression. The rings could be tired too.

A Tillotson HL19 or HL103 variant (found on top-tank Macs) is a direct bolt on to your saw without an adapter. All top-tank Macs have the impulse passage in the 'HL location' regardless of which carb they were equipped with. You can run an HL63 variant (found on front-tank Macs such as 250's with an adapter) if you cut the AF stud flush with the head (front-tank saws use the stud, and top-tank saws don't) to clear the AF nut bracket and don't use the adapter plate (save the adapter for use on a front-tank saw or send it to someone who needs it).

All these HL's (19, 63, 103) have the correct throttle shaft and choke setups for your saw. If you get an HL19 that has the 'hook' type throttle arm intended for use on a governed saw, you'll need to either drill a hole in that arm for the throttle link, or swap on an arm from some other HL. You will need to fabricate a choke link for your saw to work with the HL, and will need to modify your throttle link to work as well.

Last edited:
Aaron, thanks for the explaination.

Is there a definitive way to check the function of the DSP?

It certainly moves in and out freely, would (could) I use soapy water like one would test for a gas leak? (propane etc.)

As far as the carb issue is concerned, I thought it'd be easier on the wallet to get rebuild kits for the Tilly. If that's not a good move, if this carb performs "better", let me know and I'll keep it on there.

How about the size of the current fuel line? Too small? I have pics a few posts back. It's 10-10 size.

Thanks to all for the help, sorry for the newb questions!

-Andy

If you just happened to stumble on that saw, what a great find. Mark

Got hungry while on the road, stopped for some food...

Well, next door is a Husky dealer. Figured I'd stop in to see if he had any old trade-in Mac's laying around. The usual scouting/picking thing.

He didn't, and following the standard "I feel bad for you, collecting those Macs" comment...he suggested I take a ride south, knew a guy who might have some.

2 months later....

I call him yesterday (not the Husky guy, the Mac guy), I'm in the area again...He agrees to me bring me into his attic. His Old Man was a collector, of all brands, but mostly Macs. Worked on them for years at a distributor somewhere.

All I can say is, what an amazing sight, turning the corner from the staircase. Probably like walking into Mark or Lee's garage:hmm3grin2orange:

BP-1(s), Super 250's, 850's, 805's, SP everything, 1-everything, D-everything, 105's, 125's, Gear Drives, 2-Mans, E V E R Y T H I N G!!!

Anyway, not to long ago his Old Man passed...he wasn't ready to part with anything, which I totally respect. 2nd time this year that's happened to me.

However, here is this pitched, unloved, dusty old girl on the shelf...no numbers (that I can ID) stamped on the bottom. He said "Lets bring it down and take a look"

Well, neither of us could figure it out...I was thinking maybe a 740. Even surrounded by treasure I wasn't thinking a 797 (well, maybe just a little). Didn't even notice the auto oiler at the time, not that it mattered, still wouldn't have known for sure.

Well, we get talking, hit it off you could say...he says those golden words, "you want it?"

"UH YES!!!, how much?"

"Forty bucks!"

"UH, my wife didn't give me my allowance this week"

"Pay me the next time you see me"

Deal done!

-Andy

Got hungry while on the road, stopped for some food...

Well, next door is a Husky dealer. Figured I'd stop in to see if he had any old trade-in Mac's laying around. The usual scouting/picking thing.

He didn't, and following the standard "I feel bad for you, collecting those Macs" comment...he suggested I take a ride south, knew a guy who might have some.

2 months later....

I call him yesterday (not the Husky guy, the Mac guy), I'm in the area again...He agrees to me bring me into his attic. His Old Man was a collector, of all brands, but mostly Macs. Worked on them for years at a distributor somewhere.

All I can say is, what an amazing sight, turning the corner from the staircase. Probably like walking into Mark or Lee's garage:hmm3grin2orange:

BP-1(s), Super 250's, 850's, 805's, SP everything, 1-everything, D-everything, 105's, 125's, Gear Drives, 2-Mans, E V E R Y T H I N G!!!

Anyway, not to long ago his Old Man passed...he wasn't ready to part with anything, which I totally respect. 2nd time this year that's happened to me.

However, here is this pitched, unloved, dusty old girl on the shelf...no numbers (that I can ID) stamped on the bottom. He said "Lets bring it down and take a look"

Well, neither of us could figure it out...I was thinking maybe a 740. Even surrounded by treasure I wasn't thinking a 797 (well, maybe just a little). Didn't even notice the auto oiler at the time, not that it mattered, still wouldn't have known for sure.

Well, we get talking, hit it off you could say...he says those golden words, "you want it?"

"UH YES!!!, how much?"

"Forty bucks!"

"UH, my wife didn't give me my allowance this week"

"Pay me the next time you see me"

Deal done!

-Andy

suweet. funny thing is i had that dream last night.

minosi, Aaron pretty much covered it. I think the only
advantage to the thick rings is they would last longer.
The thin rings should make more power. I have swaped
several 797's to the Tilly HL63. The 103 would be better
as it doen't have the air filter stud like the 63. I just cut
the stud and all is well. 63's are much easier to find.
Alot of 250's have the 63. I would try to find a correct
fuel line. Try Bobs Lawnmower in NY. I can get his # when
i go back to the shop.

Lee

I would try to find a correct
fuel line. Lee

The saw has what looks like a 10-10 bushing kit installed, are those easy to remove?

Were they "approved" as a retrofit for the 797?

-Andy

The saw has what looks like a 10-10 bushing kit installed, are those easy to remove?

Were they "approved" as a retrofit for the 797?

-Andy

Just went a viewed the pic's again. I'm not sure what
the thing is in the feul line hole. I have limited experience
with the 10 series saws. As long as the hole in the tank is
not messed up and is it's original size a new stock line will
be fine. They can be found just have to do some digging.

Lee

Looking again at the photo in the air box, that does indeed look like the 10 Series bushing. Your biggest problem will be adapting the small diameter fuel line to the fitting on the carburetor. I am with Lee on this one, try to find the original fuel line if possible. I know I have 3 or 4 at home but they will all go into upcoming projects. The point is, they are out there you just have to keep searching. Google in this case may not prove very helpful.

Looking again at the piston through the exhaust port, it appears to me like there is a huge end gap on the rings. No matter what else you do, start looking for rings right away as those will need to be replaced. Should be 47865 for the standard bore. Same as the CP125 and MC101, buy two sets as I need some for my 101AA...

Mark

Back