McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Jerry the SP 60 should have a brass bushing and no nylon bushings as were used on many other models. The nylon bushings are supposed to have that slit; either someone has changed the flywheel cover or (likely) McCulloch made changes while the SP60 models were in production. It may be enough to just clean it up and lubricate with a touch of oil or white lithium.

The parts you need are 86053 for the shield behind the spring and 57535 for the bushings. Should be easy to find those parts on e-bay or perhaps chainsawr or customchainsawparts would have them. If you strike out let me know as I am sure I can find some in the shop.

Mark

Thanks mark. This one is a pro Mac 60 rather than a super pro 60. Does that make any difference on the bushing?

i hadnt used berrymans in years and bought a fresh can at autozone to clean up a 028 cylinder..it just didnt work too well because i noticed it didnt have professional on the can like the old one and it sure didnt stink like the old stuff either.
probably be wise to keep the oven cleaner away from the aluminum pistons and cylinders.the oven cleaner is lye based and very very harsh on aluminum.might not be any visable damage at the time of cleaning but the effects of the lye,aluminum,steel rings and chrome plating may have some reactions on down the road if water is re introduced into the system.

Heres something you'd luv for your Mac Collection Mark

bp1ashtray2_zps31eb7f93.jpg

It fits in rather nicely with my BP-1's

It's the only one i have ever seen bought it a couple of years ago and i've not seen one since
As a mate told me it was either a cheap BP-1 or an expensive ash tray

McBob.

Last edited:
Not to many businesses advertise with ash trays any more now days:hmm3grin2orange:

Hard to imagine that was the norm back then compared to today.

Jerry, if you ever need an cylinder for your PM60 give me a shout. I have a NOS one. Ron

have a muffler for one by chance as I need one and the bolts as well to hold it on.

A guy brought over to me a ProMac 60 that was his dads and he would like it restored to running condition. It has no muffler on it:msp_unsure:

have a couple of dead presidents waiting for one

have a muffler for one by chance as I need one and the bolts as well to hold it on.

A guy brought over to me a ProMac 60 that was his dads and he would like it restored to running condition. It has no muffler on it:msp_unsure:

have a couple of dead presidents waiting for one

I'm sure I have a muffler that will fit but it may be for a 10-10 or similar. You can have it. I'll get some photos soon, you can choose which one you want.

picked up a super pro 70 saturday.guy i bought it from said he could only get it to pop.i added gas and it runs. :) a little rough anyway.ordered a carb kit for it.it dont need too much.mostly points,sparkplug boot and anti vibe mounts.something isnt right with the chain seems like.the motor didnt want to spin the chain.could be the homelite bar.lol

I've often wondered if your raised the compression ratio and ran model diesel fuel (for your r/c airplane or car) it should run fine. its just that compression ratio thing that's holding me back! I know you could get a glow plug adaptor at the hobby shop to run R/C nitro-methane fuel but your talkin 22 dollars a gallon! and most saws hate E-10. what about a fuel that's are 40% alcohol? oh can you tell I have the saws in the basement next to my airplanes! At least if you run nitro you can remove the ignition system and save all that weight!

There is a bit more to it than just raising the compression, fuel must be injected into the combustion chamber at just the right instant, and you still have to find a way to lubricate everything below the piston.

Looking through a Northern Tool catalog over the weekend I noticed the diesel engines they were selling noted compression ratios in the neighborhood of 22:1.

I do like the smell of the methanol/castor oil exhaust...lately I am using Amsoil Saber and find it has a pretty pleasant order as well, sort of reminiscent of castor.

Mark

Your right on a "true" diesel engine. but model airplane "diesels" are still carbureted and work just like any other 2 stroke engine with the exception being a variable displacement combustion chamber. the cc can be raised or lowered closer to the piston to change ignition timing. also the fuel make-up is not pump diesel. its a mix of several fuels for the application. it would be extremely difficult to convert any cast in head cylinder but any cylinder with a removable head could have a diesel head one made eaiser. still not an easy avenue to go though. that's how the r/c engines are done. swap the head to a diesel head. convert from silicone lines/seals to gasoline/diesel compatible, mix up some fuel and go at it!

Here is a link for a little more information on model diesel engines.Carbureted compression ignition model engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The glow variant is the easiest conversion to alternative fuels. just get the 14x1.25 to 1/4-28 thread bushing and a glow plug. some nitro fuel and have at it! The reason this is not done often even in r/c application is simple. 4.00 a gallon for pump gas or over 20 for nitro for around the same power. and fuel consumption is still higher due to nitro being an alcohol/methanol based fuel.

So even though the coolness factor sets in the praticallity factor smothers all ambition for me to even attempt any alternative fuels in my saws.

Any of you boys interested in a Pro Mac 1000 Piped Hotsaw? Going to unload it, and donate the money to charity.

This and that.

Aaron, I spun two 106DL .063 3/8s tonight. There was a NOS shroud on eBay if you are still looking for one.

Chainsaw carnage is like most things in life, we usually contribute to it. I measured a sampling of the depth gauges on the chain my 800 was wearing when it destroyed the last two bar adjusters; most were significantly lower than .040" (which is the lowest guide I have). So much for the eye ball it, hit em with the grinder and go approach.

Chainsaw troubles aren't the only challenges in my life. Nonetheless, life would be awful boring if we had no challenges. Last Friday I spent the day with my SIL and his dad replacing a water line at my SIL's house. As my SIL was on his knees chopping roots out of the trench with an axe, I overheard his dad ask, "Son, did you take my axe?" and the reply, "Yes, I got it the other day when I dropped by." I thought to myself, boy I'm glad its not my axe he whacking away with in the dirt and rocks. Later while just trying to make conversation with his dad, I stated that the axe looks like one of those nice Husqvarna axes. To which my overhearing SIL replies, "Yalp, Ron, its your axe." Dad's axe was only a few feet away in his garage and yet he had walked to the street and gotten mine out of my Toyota. I couldn't bring myself to choke him in front of his dad but the thought did cross my mind. One more example: I earlier posted some pictures where I was cutting Saturday. What I didn't show were all the nice trees that had been marked to be cut. In an attempt to set a good example and re-pay the landowner for his generousity, I spend the morning cutting several large but firewood useless trash trees first before starting on the "good" wood. With barely a dent in the good wood, the landowner's wife comes out in the field with a cellphone. Her husband is on the line and has changed his mind about cutting the "good" stuff as they had just sold the property.

Ron

Latest posts

Back