McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcculloch pro mac 610

I picked up a mcculloch pro mac 610 today and when I was messing with it trying to get it started I busted the pullstart. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that had one for sale? The post that the spring wraps around snapped off. I will need that part at least but would prefer a complete recoil unit. As I hate getting the springs reinstalled. If you have one please PM me and let me know how much .

Thanks

Dan

I picked up a mcculloch pro mac 610 today and when I was messing with it trying to get it started I busted the pullstart. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that had one for sale? The post that the spring wraps around snapped off. I will need that part at least but would prefer a complete recoil unit. As I hate getting the springs reinstalled. If you have one please PM me and let me know how much .

Thanks

Dan

http://store.chainsawr.com/products...omplete-starte-recoil-cover-and-pulley-assy-2

http://store.chainsawr.com/products...hainsaw-black-starter-recoil-cover-and-pulley

Gary

I picked up a mcculloch pro mac 610 today and when I was messing with it trying to get it started I busted the pullstart. I was wondering if there was anyone on here that had one for sale? The post that the spring wraps around snapped off. I will need that part at least but would prefer a complete recoil unit. As I hate getting the springs reinstalled. If you have one please PM me and let me know how much.

PM sent.

Gasoline71

Thanks for the reply ,The first link is sold out and I was hoping to find one a little cheaper than that since the saw is only worth 50-75 complete and running. I was hoping someone on here would have one . If not Ill probibbly just scrap it.

dan

There are many 600 Series McCulloch saws out there so just look around a bit and you will undoubtably come up with something. If you stop in various shops they will even give away some odd old saws, I have picked up a 1-43 and a 610 that way. The 610 was locked up but a simple tap on the flywheel freed it up, a little clean up and that saw is now in the fleet of my older son.

Mark

Guido Salvage is taking care of me on the pullstart

Thanks for all the help you guys rock

Dan

Geez, Brian. I pulled up the 797 you bought... you STOLE that thing. Good for you. While there, I ran my usual checks... Picked off a 32" roller nose for $35 on a BIN. My 4th roller nose. This one gets a permanent home on the 1-72. My 28" is dedicated to the Super 250 (still waiting on parts), the General 36 is wedded to the 1-82, and the custom 36 is with the Super 797 until I nail down a 42 for it.

count the drive links in a 12" span. 1/2 has 12 dl and 9/16 has 11

1/2 uses 1/4 files and new 9/16 takes 9/32. worn down 9/16 can use 1/4 file

Well............................I counted the drivers in a 12" span of the chain on my Mac77 today. Less than 11. About 10 and 1/2 drivers. Measured the distance between three rivets........and came up with 1.25" dividing that by two gives .625". 9/16" chain should be .563" pitch. Guess I have some sloppy, stretched out 9/16" chain on that old Mac. Nobody ever used 5/8" pitch chain did they???:confused:

Last edited:
Well............................I counted the drivers in a 12" span of the chain on my Mac77 today. Less than 11. About 10 and 1/2 drivers. Measured the distance between three rivets........and came up with 1.25" dividing that by two gives .625". 9/16" chain should be .563" pitch. Guess I have some sloppy, stretched out 9/16" chain on that old Mac. Nobody ever used 5/8" pitch chain did they???:confused:

Yep, There is 5/8 chain out there.
I have a loop of 5/8 full chisel for
a 84 inch bar.

Lee

Thanks Lee

Yep, There is 5/8 chain out there.
I have a loop of 5/8 full chisel for
a 84 inch bar.

Lee

Interesting...

I measured it several times and got the same numbers. There's a bit of slop in the links.......but not enough to give that much of a discrepancy. Acres site lists 9/16" and 1/2" pitch chain as being used on that saw. No mention of 5/8". Doesn't mean Mac didn't use it. The sprocket seemed to be the right pitch for the chain. I'll take a closer look at the chain and the sprocket to see if I can find any numbers...

I got a big loop of 7/8's here...Still in the cosmoline :cheers:

Wow Rick....:cheers:

And I thought 1/2", 9/16", 3/4", (and now 5/8") chain was big. 7/8" pitch is .825". That's just 1/8" shy of an INCH between rivets. That's some big honkin' chain. Put up a closeup pic or two.................with some smaller chain for scale. 1/4" pitch would be funny............but every other chain pitch will look small next to that monster chain!:givebeer:

Ok I am dead ass broke, and can no longer afford to fix any of my projects. A 797 just came up on ebay with a buy it now and it is mine!!!! I feel bad that I just spent every spare penny to my name, but boy am I happy to be getting a 797!:clap::cheers:

Good deal Brian,:cheers:
I have gotten some of the best deals on Ebay with buy it now.

You must have gotten the same chain i got. i just wanted it cause it was cool. How did you clean your up

I hung it up at first sprayed some Degreaser to soften up the cosmoline a bit.
Then wiped it off with a rag. Mine had some rusting spots so I layed it out on my bench, C-clapmed it tight and went at it with a wire wheel in a drill and got the rest of the cosmoline off too.

I hung it up at first sprayed some Degreaser to soften up the cosmoline a bit.
Then wiped it off with a rag. Mine had some rusting spots so I layed it out on my bench, C-clapmed it tight and went at it with a wire wheel in a drill and got the rest of the cosmoline off too.

I've been spraying mine with carb cleaner. I now just put it in my ultra sonic and will see ho what works

Sweet score Brian, Those 797's are
one of my favorites. They have lots
of power and a great sound.

Lee

I look forward to hearing it in person. I have one tree my dad wants cut down that will be big enough for a 797. Cant wait to see how much power it has.

Geez, Brian. I pulled up the 797 you bought... you STOLE that thing. Good for you. While there, I ran my usual checks... Picked off a 32" roller nose for $35 on a BIN. My 4th roller nose. This one gets a permanent home on the 1-72. My 28" is dedicated to the Super 250 (still waiting on parts), the General 36 is wedded to the 1-82, and the custom 36 is with the Super 797 until I nail down a 42 for it.

Yes I did steal that. I jump out of my seat when I found it and ran to my wife and started pleading my case. And told her if I wait around it will be gone. Great buy on the 32" roller nose. What do you type to search for them. I just type in Mcculloch bar and dont usually find much. The last one I saw went for about 180 on ebay. I would love to find something in the range of 40"-60" range. Dont need anything that big except for one tree maybe. But I dont need 123cc's either.

Good deal Brian,:cheers:
I have gotten some of the best deals on Ebay with buy it now.

Thanks, that one was luck. I have had most of my luck on the auction style and not the buy it now.

Are the decomp valves hard to find? I know for sure thats missing.

Anybody have pictures of the wrench that may have came with the ol Macs.

I think my Great Uncle may have came up with the original the other day, and mentioned the paper work and book may be around for the 44A
:clap:

A bit off topic I admit, but how do you pull up a sale that has ended without a link to it? Just curious, and if you have a link I'd be interested. You guys are BAD, now I'm thinking I might need a 797 to compare my SP125 to. And I told Susan I was done buying saws. JR

Latest posts

Back