McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct 8 tooth if you needed more chain speed ie shorter bar and possibly 3/8" chain

I have a 42 inch bar with 063 404 chain driven by a 7 pin rim. I have a 24 inch bar setup for 3/8 chain and would like to find a 9 pin rim for it if there is such a thing.

Worked on the mystery mac today. She has hot fire and nice compression. And popped off with gas in the carb. I had the parts needed to fix some stuff on there. Tuna can muffler, b&c misc small stuff. The wrap handle is bent alittle and needs bent back into shape. Should make a nice runner! Need to find an air filter cover, the one on there is a homemade air filter cover lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Problem

I have a Mac 10-10 and I was wondering is there a special wrench to get the two bolts off that hold the carburater on I cant seem to get any of my wrenches on the bolt?

The bolts are tucked back under the carb and I cant get to them with that.

The bolts to remove the carb from the saw are on top of the carb, securing the plate that you screw the air filter cover to.

The bolts are tucked back under the carb and I cant get to them with that.

The bolts to remove the carb from the saw are on top of the carb, securing the plate that you screw the air filter cover to.

That's correct. The bolts that hold down the carb pass through the AF stud bracket/'spitback' shield assembly and carb body. Those bolts under the carb hold the fuel tank/carb box/handle casting to the cylinder. DON'T remove those if all you want to do is take the carburetor off...

Ok thank you.
Ill try that.

Not too many years ago, I thought the same thing so I took my PM700 to an old MAC dealer. They acted like I was crazy when I told them I couldn't get a wrench to fit. They never did tell me that I was going after the wrong thing - I had to figure that out later on my own. Best advice I can give you is get an IPL for your saw. The illustrations can save you a lot of work and heartache. :) Ron

McCulloch 5-49--Neighbor Needs Carb Help

My neighbor has talked about an old saw he has in his shop for a while now. After work today I walked over and I got to view a real saw. He pulled out this old two man monster I had never seen before. He has owned it for MANY years and hasn't used it for ages. He believes that the main problem with getting it going again is the carb. Can you guys give me any help with where to get what is needed for these. I will post all the pics I have.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got some more.
Thanks,
Shea

My neighbor has talked about an old saw he has in his shop for a while now. After work today I walked over and I got to view a real saw. He pulled out this old two man monster I had never seen before. He has owned it for MANY years and hasn't used it for ages. He believes that the main problem with getting it going again is the carb. Can you guys give me any help with where to get what is needed for these. I will post all the pics I have.
Got some more.
Thanks,
Shea

If it turns over smoothly and has spark, I would put some pre-mix in the tank, a little down the plug hole, put the plug in it and see if it fires. I also have a 5-49, did the same thing I just mentioned, and it started in a few pulls and ran pretty damn nice. Actually cut a couple pieces of wood with it after letting run for about 15 minutes and. More more it ran, the better it ran. Oh, and for the record, I used 40:1 fuel mix.

Shea, send a pm to Mweba (Mitch). He and wendell went through a 5-49 or two this year, and I beleive found a source for a repro carb kit for those saws, the originals are NLA of course.

Keep us posted. I have a locked up 5-49 down in the shed that's a "someday" project myself.

Back