McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a thread in the main area but wondering here if anyone will fess up to getting the NOS 101B that just went on the bay:msp_ohmy:

Wow Andy. That's gotta be one of the all time greatest single barn scores I've seen. TWO sweet 82cc Macs, what looks to be a Super 44, A cherry lookin' 2-man Mac complete with the oiler can, and a VERY nice looking BP-1? Chu gotta be kidding me. You must be reaping the rewards for living right.
:clap:

Envelope came in today. Thanks a bunch for the PM-850 project parts.:cheers:

Jerry - It is very possibly just the high tension lead. You can remove the old lead by "unscrewing" it from the stud in the coil and install a new lead. Often the wire will twist off flush, but with a little effort you can clean it out and get a meter on the stud to see when the problem actually is. I actually made a hollow bit from a spring pin to allow me to drill out the broken off wire.

Mark

Thanks mark, I'll give that a shot

Hey all,

Figured I save us before we made page 2:hmm3grin2orange:

Some nice barn stuff this week...don't mind the occasional off-color saws that made it into the pics...

288585d1365213280-805-850-jpg

View attachment 288585

288586d1365213284-barns-saws-1-jpg

View attachment 288586

Do you see it? Yeah baby!!!!

-Andy
I don't care what it cost you, stumbling on a cache like that earns you some major suckage! So much so, I was having a hard time breathing way over here on the left coast from the massive negative pressure effect coming from your way!:rock: well done, indeed!

Hey all,

Figured I save us before we made page 2:hmm3grin2orange:

Some nice barn stuff this week...don't mind the occasional off-color saws that made it into the pics...

288585d1365213280-805-850-jpg

View attachment 288585

288586d1365213284-barns-saws-1-jpg

View attachment 288586

Do you see it? Yeah baby!!!!

-Andy

I seen that funny lookin saw in the bunch. Man you suck! :)
I can't say much tho the Mac gods have been nice to me lately too.

Help with my 2-10

I just got to this one today and I have a few questions. First of all how do I get this god forsaken carb off? I took off the two bolts holding it on but can't seem to figure out how to get that primer assembly to slid out. After that comes out I assume that I can wiggle the carb around enough to get the throttle linkage out. Next how to I get to the exhaust port? I need to get to the piston so I can blow out all of the rust and carbon that is stuck to the piston. I know there is a bunch since when I popped of the muffler it dumped out about a cup of rust shavings. So I figured I better clean it off the piston before I fire her up. Thanks. View attachment 288634
I have never seen a saw like this. Guess I need to stay away from the Homies and Poulans...:laugh:

Andy - Must be one of the greatest finds ever, heartfelt congratulations to you.

I got the rear handle from my BP-1 back from Old Dead Wood today (he needed to copy some parts for his project saw) and got it put back together so I'll be ready for the GTG on the 27th. He made duplicates of all the parts he needed so I have a few spare bit now in case I would develop a problem down the road.

Current project is a PM570, anti-vibe version of the PM55/555/10-10s type saw. Very unique execution compared to the other anti-vibe saws. About 90% is the same as say, a PM850, but a different concept on the shroud and fastening the boot. With the differences in the shroud, the flywheel cover is somewhat different as well. I will get some photos up in a few days. Currently waiting for a piston, cylinder looks good but one of the ring locating pins worked loose and wallowed out the hole and pinched the top ring.

Spent most of the day working on moving the wood pile, sort of a spring ritual for me and I only got about 1/3 of the way through. I did take advantage of some odd pieces in the wood pile to test the Poulan "Super Clean" I worked on this week, seems to start and run O.K., but pretty weak compared to other saws I've run.

Mark

Andy - Must be one of the greatest finds ever, heartfelt congratulations to you.

I got the rear handle from my BP-1 back from Old Dead Wood today (he needed to copy some parts for his project saw) and got it put back together so I'll be ready for the GTG on the 27th. He made duplicates of all the parts he needed so I have a few spare bit now in case I would develop a problem down the road.

Current project is a PM570, anti-vibe version of the PM55/555/10-10s type saw. Very unique execution compared to the other anti-vibe saws. About 90% is the same as say, a PM850, but a different concept on the shroud and fastening the boot. With the differences in the shroud, the flywheel cover is somewhat different as well. I will get some photos up in a few days. Currently waiting for a piston, cylinder looks good but one of the ring locating pins worked loose and wallowed out the hole and pinched the top ring.

Spent most of the day working on moving the wood pile, sort of a spring ritual for me and I only got about 1/3 of the way through. I did take advantage of some odd pieces in the wood pile to test the Poulan "Super Clean" I worked on this week, seems to start and run O.K., but pretty weak compared to other saws I've run.

Mark

Take good care of that rear handle i have a spare rear handle here but its not for sale there too hard to find and that bit is too easy to get damaged in shipping

McBob

Big thanks out to MoJim for a package he sent owe you big time. Very nice indeed:msp_thumbup:

Also to joeymt33 for the muffler for the PM60 huge help to have that now as that makes this saw runnable once do some more investigating. This will be restored to running condition for a guy who's dad bought and used it and he recalls his dad running it when he was a little kid. I look forward to this project.

Also last but not least minosi you suck big time. No reason to add anymore than that to it. First time around I didn't see the BP-1 nice work on the photo of just having sitting there in the back:msp_sneaky:

Jerry - It is very possibly just the high tension lead. You can remove the old lead by "unscrewing" it from the stud in the coil and install a new lead. Often the wire will twist off flush, but with a little effort you can clean it out and get a meter on the stud to see when the problem actually is. I actually made a hollow bit from a spring pin to allow me to drill out the broken off wire.

Mark

Took the hv lead off and tested - no continuity. I thought ah ha.
Tested both the primary and secondary windings - both open. Dam
Those results match the physical appearance. The coil coating has many cracks all over. Given the Ultra dirty condition when I got it I'd bet that saw ran real hot and cooked the coil.
Hence, still looking for a coil.

Lest you think I goofed off yesterday. I cut up the three "oak" trees I felled a weeek ago. They were actually sassafras. Easy cutting and not 5 cube MAC worthy. I took my PM700 after an almost two year rest but alas it wouldn't start.

Along with some of the other trees I felled last week I also helped cut up the large hard maple. The trunk was MAC worthy. I also ran a Husky 395 in the same trunk and can't honestly say that there was much difference, if any, in the power between it and the PM800.

Later in the day, I bucked two hickories; one of which gave the PM800 a little workout. Ron

Hickory:

attachment.php

View attachment 288863View attachment 288864View attachment 288865

Ok I started on my mac 250 the other day. It will run if primed but won't fire on its own. Obviously a carb issue. Thanks to mark's carb thread I discovered I have a flatback that has been butchered. Someone has removed the primer and put screws in the holes. And the linkage has been hacked up. So what would be the best option? Another flatback or should I swap a tilly in?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Mark H.

A big thanks for letting me barrow some of your BP-1 parts. I have been concerned about the parts being in my hands all this time and I'm glad they made it back to you.

Have a great time at the GTG and take lots of pictures.

ODW

Back