McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed four types of cranks for the 82cc models. The first is the early sp80 crank with a different taper on the clutch side. This crank is the only one that takes the three shoe clutch.

Second is the sp80/81/850 crank with the lobe for the points ignition.

Third is the crank for the late 850/de80/800/805 with out the lobe.

The forth is the PM8200 crank which is a three piece crank.

As far I know, they are all interchangeable. Some one may correct me if I'm wrong.

Joey

'Preciate the info. Exactly what I needed..., especially the tip for the three shoe clutch consideration. Not sure what I'm getting into yet, but I'm sure as hell gonna try. (Sorta like when ya get to a fork in the road, take it.):hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Well I figured it our me self this morning. Got bored and took the tank off which was very easy and then turned it over to spilt the halves apart. Line goes on the bottom of the tank so it has to come off to get to the hose regardless. Anyway I took out the wick and washed it I fresh gasoline and blew out the lines along with cleaning the vent on the bottom of the tank also. Cut out a new gasket from material for the tank and put her back together. She fired up and runs great. I must say one of the smoothest lowest idles in a saw yet. Revs up real nice to. So I. guess I'll put that McCulloch roller mac bar back on with 1/2 inch chain and see how she cuts...should be a nice saw to cut with...

I got this 1-60 several months back and just got it out to tinker with it. Has a Tillotson HL on it and my question is how in the heck do you get to the fuel line at the tank? The carb end is easy as usual but I can't get to the other end or even see it. Do you have to take the tank off to do this or what? Appears to be a nice saw with lots of compression. Doesn't have original carb on it but oh well. The gearcase is nice and clean inside and rolls smooth. I think this will make a nice saw. Had the 32" Roller Mac Solid Welded Tip bar on it with a nice loop of 1/2" chain hardly used. I just need to get this fuel line issue solved and I can go cutting... This is my first gear drive saw so I am curious to see how she cuts in some Oak. I only started collecting recently so don't have too many saws yet or a lot of knowledge about these but it will grow in time... I haven't been in here in awhile as I tore my rotatr cuff working on a lawn mower and now 4 months after surgey I can get back to tinkering with some of these saws...

Nick

View attachment 299540 View attachment 299541

View attachment 299544 View attachment 299545

It was actually quite easy to do. Now if I ever have to do this again for any reason I know what to do. I do have a 1-62 I am going to use as a parts saw so it probably is the same deal. This saw never ran. I got it several months back from an older fella that said he rebuilt the carb but it still wouldn't run. I said no biggie I'll get it going sooner or later. So I just got to it and though the had to be a clog somewhere. The vent on the bottom of the tank was plugged up and the tank was pretty nasty but the carb was fine. A good cleaning of the wick and the vent and now she runs.

I don't have a 1-71 or 1-85 (yet) so not familiar with those either. Saws in genreral are easy to work on and fix just some are a little harder than others. I am still looking for a few saws but a few could easily turn into quite a few. When I started collecting jars and bottles when I was around 10 or so from finding them in the woods hunting I never though one day I would have nearly a thousand. I seriously doubt I will get that many saws though. The jars came in handy when I lost my job back 08. EBay was paying the bills for three years and jars thanks to that jar collection I made out like a bandit.

Now I am into these McCulloch chainsaws and its a fun hobby. Thing is here in Via you don't see these for sale that much. I am not in a good area for those but we have other ways to get them. I wish I could hit yard sales and flea markets and find a 73 or 77 or super 550 within on the table for sale but not much luck. Lots of Home lites around he though. I can dig a home lite but my favorite is a McCulloch any day. My first saw was a 250 and it was OK to cut with and got the job done. I don't have too many saws yet but my favorite at the moment is the 440. That is a nice cutting saw and feels good in the hands.

So to wrap up here the 1-60 is a runner now. Just some fine tuning and it should be a good saw. Its pretty clean and doesn't need anything else. I have a 740 I am going to rebuild shortly. I got all the gaskets rounded up and rings so this will be fun to do. I am used to doing car engines and boat motors and now we have chain saw motors to play with. I guess once a gear head always a gear head. Just wish I had a big garage to work in but I'll manage.

Nick

Some of the McCulloch designs were not so "user friendly"; the short 90° fuel line between the tank and the carburetor on the 1-71 to 1-85 saws can be a treat as well.

Mark

Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker

I have been using Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker with good success for several years now to seal the case halves together on my Ten series builds. But it is driving me crazy on my latest rebuild as it is skinning up before I can even get the halves together. And it seems to be getting quicker and worse with each of my three last attempts. The result is you can't get the halves together much less seal. Any ideas of what is causing this? :confused: Time for a new tube? Thanks, Ron

I've noticed four types of cranks for the 82cc models. The first is the early sp80 crank with a different taper on the clutch side. This crank is the only one that takes the three shoe clutch.
Joey

Turns out the one I went to check out yesterday was one of those..., minus the end of the crank on the clutch side, which I knew about in advance. Rest of the saw was even worse and one of the filthiest I've ever seen. Toasted top end, (tho it actually ran), lean it over and fuel poured out the exhaust, beat as in banged and bruised and abused, air box full o' crap, rusty carb, no b/c..., and he wouldn't budge from his asking price of fifty bux. Had to walk away from that one.

Did I miss something wrong with this saw? I bought this saw from feepay, it went for much less than I thought it would. I never thought I would get an 82cc mac from there considering the price they normally go for. I'm looking forward to getting it. :chainsaw:
Jim

Vintage McCulloch SP Super Pro 81 Chainsaw | eBay

Unless "very strong compression" is really code for "locked up", I'd say you did pretty good!:msp_thumbsup:

Hopefully it's got some a that 510 compression :msp_wink:

That would be awesome. I have to get my gauge fixed so I can see what that 5-10E has. If it didn't have DSP valve I think I would need to put a car battery in it :hmm3grin2orange:

Did I miss something wrong with this saw? I bought this saw from feepay, it went for much less than I thought it would. I never thought I would get an 82cc mac from there considering the price they normally go for. I'm looking forward to getting it. :chainsaw:
Jim

So YOU were the one that got that saw at the dirt-cheap price!

Congrats on your new acquisition! :clap:

I know of at least three members here that were watching it.

I noticed that the wrap looked newer than the rest of the saw. Looked well-used .. it has a chain-brake clutch cover, missing the flag (who knows what else inside) ... the carb or the top tank has been changed out at some point .. doesn't look to have any serious breaks ... just looks ugly.

If the AV mounts are solid, that's a very good thing .. those little buggers are like $20+ online.

My SP81 is one of my very favorites to run.

Edit: Upon looking closer, it appears the brake 'guts' are not in there. :(

Last edited:
So YOU were the one that got that saw at the dirt-cheap price!

Congrats on your new acquisition! :clap:

I know of at least three members here that were watching it.

I noticed that the wrap looked newer than the rest of the saw. Looked well-used .. it has a chain-brake clutch cover, missing the flag (who knows what else inside) ... the carb or the top tank has been changed out at some point .. doesn't look to have any serious breaks ... just looks ugly.

If the AV mounts are solid, that's a very good thing .. those little buggers are like $20+ online.

My SP81 is one of my very favorites to run.

Edit: Upon looking closer, it appears the brake 'guts' are not in there. :(
Yes, I did see the missing brake components. Are they standard 10 series or unique to 82cc macs? Also noticed long carb screws with no opening in airbox. I don't know how you wear through the bottom of the handles. Leave them idling all day while sitting on concrete?:dizzy:

Yes, I did see the missing brake components. Are they standard 10 series or unique to 82cc macs?

I think with that style brake they are standard 10 series.

Later SP brakes have a different latch and spring, and perhaps band as well. The flag is common throughout, even on the 125.

-Andy

Nice saw BTW:rock:

Last edited:
If anyone comes up with 1 or 2 of the original type SP80 crank shafts I would like to set up a couple of SP80's with the three shoe clutch. I have clutches and drums, just need the crank shafts to make them complete.

Mark

Mark,

Give my some way to identify these cranks and I'll check my stock.

-Andy

Back