McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever wanted to have a Pro Mac 1000 Hot saw? Well chance will be coming soon. The money will get donated to a local education fund associated with my Church.

Anyway this same saw, cant get it to pop, probably something very little wrong with it. Just can not get it to start. It has a tuned expansion pipe and two piece head. Loads of compression and it has a compression release add to it as well. Just will not start. Does the kill switch go foward or back when trying to start it?

And if anyone locally wants to help get it going for me, let me know. NE Ohio

Try flicking the switch both ways and pulling it over and you should have an answer

McBob

Anyone ever wanted to have a Pro Mac 1000 Hot saw? Well chance will be coming soon. The money will get donated to a local education fund associated with my Church.

Anyway this same saw, cant get it to pop, probably something very little wrong with it. Just can not get it to start. It has a tuned expansion pipe and two piece head. Loads of compression and it has a compression release add to it as well. Just will not start. Does the kill switch go foward or back when trying to start it?

And if anyone locally wants to help get it going for me, let me know. NE Ohio

Let me see a pic of the carb and intake and do a compression test as since you can't get it started it will be a cold compression test those numbers and a pic of the carb and remove the muffler and take a pic of the piston/cylinder walls to see if it's been leaned to death..since your stating Hot Saw we'll have answer in a couple posts for you.

-Cascade Saw

Oh no not another Toaster on its way

The twin port muffler is off the early P100's and allowed you to select which side you preferred to blow the exhaust out of.
McBob.

Last edited:
I found this Mac 49 today and brought it home. It runs and is in fairly nice shape considering it was retired from firewood duty only a couple years ago. It is one of the hardest to find mccullochs, maybe around 1000 made in three months or so. View attachment 310271

Only been a little over a year since I started this project so now it's time for some new pics. Chassis is a 1-76 and the engine is a 101 M/C.

Sunday I'm going to find out if it runs or if I'll have to tear it apart. Hope like hell it runs.

Also hoping someone could tell me what size sprocket would be a good starting point. Probably be running 3/8 on a short bar and .404 on 30"+.

View attachment 306353View attachment 306354View attachment 306355View attachment 306357View attachment 306368

Today I got to find out if my saw would run, and it did. The excitement was short lived though. First tried it with some gas down the carb and it fired off pretty quick. Next step was filling the fuel tank and seeing if it was going to leak and surprisingly it didn't. The tank was seriously hacked on and modified to clear the carb and intake. Choke plate was removed so a little gas down the carb was needed again and after a second or two it was running on it's own and pulling gas from the tank. This is one loud mo fo.

Now for the first of the problems and this one is minor compared to the second issue. First issue is after running a while it didn't want to restart after shutting it down and could only get one good pop each time turning it over. Inside of the carb throat looked very wet so after leaning the mixture screws didn't help any, it was time to take the carb apart and look for problems. Going to try lowering the inlet lever a little first. Got it on the bench, removed the plug which was very wet and while pulling the saw over slowly, i saw gas shooting from the brass tube in the carb throat. Would the metering lever too high cause this? It was set flush with the carb body.

Now comes the big problem. After i pulled the plug and turned it over to dry the cylinder out some, the engine would turn over hard in the same spot every time. I'm first thinking the crank is rubbing on the stuffer, but why would it if it didn't before. A lot of bad scenarios are going through my head right now so first thing to do is remove the oil tank and stuffer. With the stuffer removed and looking inside, i found no big chunks laying in the bottom and no rub marks on the stuffer. I feel a little better for now but I did find what was binding and it's the big end of the connecting rod. It will turn over a bunch of times and then the rod works it's way over to the flywheel side and binds up. Lay it on it's side flywheel down and it binds every time. Clutch side down, it doesn't bind. I thought another member had the same issue after rebuilding a 250 but i couldn't find that thread.View attachment 306423

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Think I found the problem with the crank binding issue I'm have with my kart saw. I pulled the saw apart planning to rotate the rod 180 on the piston to see if it made a difference. No visible wear on any parts so before pushing the wrist pin back in, I placed a straight edge across the flats on the rod with the bearing cap tightened back on and could see that the rod is bent. Don't think I did it but who knows. Kind of happy to at least find the likely cause of the problem.

Anybody have an extra usable 101 rod laying around that you wouldn't mind parting with?

Thanks for all the suggestions and info so far.

Talked to Terry Ives this afternoon and it looks like I'll be sending the connecting rod to California to get straightened out. Kind of shocked how little he's going to charge too. He did mention some one is going to have new 101 rods made and they're supposed to be available this fall.

I'm a little happier right now.

A little recap and a happy ending to this story.

The connecting rod arrived back from Terry Ives a week ago and as a bonus, an expansion pipe rode along in the box just to help make this project a little more fun. First cut and initial tuning was this past Friday and on Saturday I got to break it in on a 10" x 10" cant. All the headaches and stress involved with this project turned into excitement, FEAR, and a big adrenalin rush after getting to race it for the first time.

[video=youtube_share;IoOlacefaj4]http://youtu.be/IoOlacefaj4[/video]View attachment 310274View attachment 310275
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
I found this Mac 49 today and brought it home. It runs and is in fairly nice shape considering it was retired from firewood duty only a couple years ago. It is one of the hardest to find mccullochs, maybe around 1000 made in three months or so. View attachment 310271

310271d1376882898-image-jpg

Nice score Sheldon. The CL seller of the 77 I picked up (and eventually traded to Mark H) had almost the same deck as yours. These are the seller's pics that they sent me before I picked up the saw a couple years ago.

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

I think it was in the Baraboo thread I noted that Kris's hot saw could move him around, and Kris is not exactly a little guy. It was a lot of fun to have several hot saws running on Saturday. I vow to have a 101 running for next year.

torinocobra - if you grow tired of the 49 let me know, I have most of the other original "top tank" saws on hand in one form or another, but certainly no 49. Congratulations on a great find.

Mark

That is an internal stinger type expansion chamber, isn't it? Have you tached that beast at WFO yet? Wondering how many rpm it's turning... in the cut and out of the cut.

No internal stinger and it's spun formed pipe. Mayko Bullet is the name.

Didn't have time for a tach check, just got the saw done in time for the hot saw race in Baraboo this past weekend. It'll definitely be interesting to see what it's turning and see how much the peak rpm moves by changing he length of the intermediate pipe.

No internal stinger and it's spun formed pipe. Mayko Bullet is the name.

Didn't have time for a tach check, just got the saw done in time for the hot saw race in Baraboo this past weekend. It'll definitely be interesting to see what it's turning and see how much the peak rpm moves by changing he length of the intermediate pipe.

No stinger? I could swear from what I've read that it's required, whether internal or external.

Must be the smooth spun formed radius of the collecting cone removing the necessity of a stinger. Never would've thought of that.

Oh, and I got the PM850 (the nice clean one that wears the PM800 a/f cover) back together and it oils once again. Given that it's going to be stupid hot this week, I'll be tinkering with more saws rather than cutting up more rounds to split. Unless I get up real early, cut, then tinker around noon, then cut sometime later at dusk. May or may not do that.

Oh, and I got the PM850 (the nice clean one that wears the PM800 a/f cover) back together and it oils once again. Given that it's going to be stupid hot this week, I'll be tinkering with more saws rather than cutting up more rounds to split. Unless I get up real early, cut, then tinker around noon, then cut sometime later at dusk. May or may not do that.

We can't have that, now can we? I may be able to help you out in a few weeks ..

We can't have that, now can we? I may be able to help you out in a few weeks ..

No worries, I've got a lot of PM850 covers laying around. Only reason one of them is not on there is because the other covers don't look as good as the rest of the parts on the saw... plus I do like the muscle car style air intake... looks sweet...

I am not sure I'll be selling the nicest of the two 82cc Macs that I've got... (DE80 and PM800 a/f covered 850) I think a couple of the retired logger rebuilds will be the ones to go. Some like the rustic look of a saw that's dropped, delimbed, and bucked more trees than they can imagine. Or they may not go anywhere... no idea as of yet... these are addicting ones... lots and lots of fun to run.

Might have to get my cousins and brother and all involved in cutting firewood, we could cut more than 3000 rounds of firewood in one day with a fleet of 82cc Macs...

That would be something to hear... nothing but 82cc Macs barking and growling all day long...

Farting around looking at the 82cc Mac carbs I've got out in the barn. Found three SDC's, and one Zama.

Are the SDC's really any better than the C2 like some around here say it is?

In any case, I'm ordering kits for those Walbro carbs tonight.

I think my PM800's with the Zama carburetors have a bit snappier throttle response than the SP81's with the Walbro carburetors. I have some pretty comparable condition saws otherwise so it seems to be a fair comparison other than the porting differences between the two.

Your mileage may vary...

Mark

I think my PM800's with the Zama carburetors have a bit snappier throttle response than the SP81's with the Walbro carburetors. I have some pretty comparable condition saws otherwise so it seems to be a fair comparison other than the porting differences between the two.

Your mileage may vary...

Mark

The porting differences and also the muffler differences. Ron pointed out that he thought the big muffler made his 800 run better than the when using the small muffler. I don't think I have a preference on carbs but I think there may be some truth to the muffler difference.

Hey All,

2 years ago I picked up a PM60 off CL. Per usual I ask the guy if he knows anyone else selling saws. He tells me about an old junkyard who's owner collected saws....he didn't know if any were for sale, but it's a start.

Last summer, about this time, I stopped by an old junk yard. Talked to a nice old lady...it had been her husbands, but he had passed on. Pretty sure it was "The Junkyard" so I left my card. She was a little coy about what the barn held, don't blame her.

Well, yesterday I get a random call. "Still interested in saws?" Hell Yeah!

It ended up being a Homelite honey hole, C5's up the ying yang, some Strunks, Power Products variations, etc...not too many Macs, but I did get a few:

I'll always buy a PM6, however this one was given to me as part of the deal...it was so filthy that when I cleaned it I discovered the previous owner had scralled his SS number into it! Of course ID theft was not the story of the day back then.

310703d1377121424-pm6-jpg

View attachment 310703

Was shocked to see the following, I didn't think many of these made it to the Northeast, let alone 20 minutes from my house.

310704d1377121432-pm1000-2-jpg

View attachment 310704

310705d1377121439-pm1000-jpg

View attachment 310705

She idles well, and has strong compression...better than my other Toaster. Not going up the rev range without a carb cleaning and kit but everything is positive so far. Obviously, no brake and someone cut the wrap handle, I assume for milling or stumping.

More...

Last edited:
Back