McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John - If you saw a good 250 you might change your mind. At Baraboo each August Scott (McC) normally takes the 5 In³ and under class with a 250, my SP81 was lagging way behind. I will blame it partially on the poor bar and chain, but that 250 will flat out run, his son Pete has a 1-51 that is just barely behind it.

I think the reason we all expect the large frame front tanks saws to be slow is we only encounter worn out saws, in good shape they have some real capabilities.

Joey - please stop by when you are in the area and I will listen to your story, if it's good enough I may just send one home with you.

And for those of you that were waiting on the edge of your seat, the Mini Mac is done...

11:00 this morning
View attachment 324534

3:00 this after noon, I spent about an hour and a half on the carburetor to insure it was alright before I put it together.
View attachment 324535

View attachment 324536

View attachment 324537

View attachment 324538

New rings, replace the crank shaft seals, carburetor rebuild, replace the rope, new AF & choke knob plus the top handle and clutch off a parts saw. Now that this one is done I can move on to something more interesting so stay tuned.

Mark

If the 250 was a standard and not a "super" model, I also find it hard to believe that it would beat a sp81. If the 250 was ported with a square grind chain, then maybe. That's just my experience though, I've had the super 250 and regular 250's and 300's, 380's. They wouldn't hang with any of my 82cc macs. Now that doesn't mean that I could hang in the 5cube class in baraboo. I'm just stating my experience.

Mark,
I just got a mini Mac 140 running & working on a 110. It's in excellent shape and probably frustrated several
other people before they gave up on it. I don't have spark so I replaced the coil,condenser,flywheel & checked the
points. The on & off switch is good and so is the spark plug. The coil air setting is exact. Where else should I look?
I enjoy your postings!

Thanks in advance

Rich

Do you have the three insulated washers on coil screws? Also, do you have the three insulating sleeves for those same three coil screws?

Mark,
I just got a mini Mac 140 running & working on a 110. It's in excellent shape and probably frustrated several
other people before they gave up on it. I don't have spark so I replaced the coil,condenser,flywheel & checked the
points. The on & off switch is good and so is the spark plug. The coil air setting is exact. Where else should I look?
I enjoy your postings!

Thanks in advance

Rich

If all of those did check out (make sure the points are nice and clean), is the flywheel key sheared? Or, is a piece of bare wire grounding the circuit out somewhere? Those coils are pretty good, I've been through hundreds of those saws and only seen one bad points coil, and can probably count the amount of bad condensers on one hand.

Looking back through the photos, I see he also beat Bill G in 2011 running a PM800. Let me assure you that Scott's 250 is a strong, fast saw.

DSC03291.JPG

DSC03104%20(1).jpg

DSCN5089.JPG

Square ground chain is only allowed in the hot saw class. Scott does know how to sharpen a chain, as well as how to run a saw. I would suggest you schedule something to take you near Wisconsin the third week in August and experience it for yourself.

I figured with an SP81 in good shape I should have been competitive, but the last two years in a row my 82 cc 10 Series were badly beaten like Bill's 800 in '11. I will make sure I have a good bar and good sharp chain for 2014 to try and improve on past poor performances.

Mark

Looking back through the photos, I see he also beat Bill G in 2011 running a PM800. Let me assure you that Scott's 250 is a strong, fast saw.

I figured with an SP81 in good shape I should have been competitive, but the last two years in a row my 82 cc 10 Series were badly beaten like Bill's 800 in '11. I will make sure I have a good bar and good sharp chain for 2014 to try and improve on past poor performances.

Mark

That is me wearing the packer hat in the 2012 picture, and I can assure you that if you heard the 250 in question run, it would not surprise you that it finishes well. I have heard that the porting on the 250 is a lot hotter than a 1-4x series or 200 series 80cc mac. Also, there is nothing restrictive (or quiet) about the stock 250 mufflers.

I have not had any ignition issues with any Mini Macs, but I did have one 10 Series that I could not get to work without changing out the points.

I don't understand the purpose of the insulators that mount the coil, but I don't think electrical insulation is the point since the coil is grounded with a wire like all others. Check the points for continuity when they are closed, and make sure the circuit is broken when they open. Search other threads for diagnosis of point ignition problems, perhaps something will become obvious.

Joey - You will have to come up with something better than a snowmobile, I happen to know you don't have much snow in your area.

Mark

Mark, I meant, send that snowmobile engine up here. I'll find a good use for it.

Seriously, I couldn't afford that bp399 and the cost of making a kart. I'm not brave enough to make a hot saw. And I'm not creative enough to come up with other ideas for a 17k RPM balanced piston twin cylinder beast.

You have way more patience than me mark. The mini Macs are one of those saws you dread having on your bench. I have a motor from one bad fuel line decided it wasn't worth my aggravation.

The Mini's with a removable starter are no trouble to work on. The originals require you align the fins on the flywheel with the starter clutch and snake it all together. It is possible, but that task does test your patience.

If you put the engine in without the fuel/oil tank, connect the throttle, then work the fuel line together they are not so bad. McCulloch intended the fitting to pull out of the tank when the saw was disassembled, then you were to hook the fitting through the slot in the bottom of the housing to hold it in place when the tank is pressed on to the oil and fuel lines. It works, but I am always suspect when putting them together.

Mark

Back