McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all of those did check out (make sure the points are nice and clean), is the flywheel key sheared? Or, is a piece of bare wire grounding the circuit out somewhere? Those coils are pretty good, I've been through hundreds of those saws and only seen one bad points coil, and can probably count the amount of bad condensers on one hand.

joe

The air gap for the coil was close enough to touch the flywheel and distorted both and the reason I replaced them.
The flywheel key is okay and so are the points. I have the motor out of the case & bolted to a plate in a vise and
pulled the starter to observe for a spark leak in a dark room. Nothing shows. Can a new condenser be purchased off the shelf instead of using used ones?

Rich

If you know the value of the condenser most auto stores still sell them or you could delete the points and go with a chip.

I have not had any ignition issues with any Mini Macs, but I did have one 10 Series that I could not get to work without changing out the points.

I don't understand the purpose of the insulators that mount the coil, but I don't think electrical insulation is the point since the coil is grounded with a wire like all others. Check the points for continuity when they are closed, and make sure the circuit is broken when they open. Search other threads for diagnosis of point ignition problems, perhaps something will become obvious.

Joey - You will have to come up with something better than a snowmobile, I happen to know you don't have much snow in your area.

Mark

My guess is that those insulators between the coil and the engine are there for heat insulation, since the coil is grounded with a wire. Maybe they had coils that were failing from heat saturation and added the insulators to prevent that...

I'll post this in the Mini Mac/small Mac thread as well but I find myself in need of at least a couple of Mini Mac parts saws, in particular ones with the yellow top handle in good condition.

Thanks,

Mark

I wish I could help. I got rid of all the MM parts and saws except the one runner I got

I'll post this in the Mini Mac/small Mac thread as well but I find myself in need of at least a couple of Mini Mac parts saws, in particular ones with the yellow top handle in good condition.

Thanks,

Mark
I've got a running Mac 110 and a partial parts saw. Maybe an extra bar and some chains. Maybe a carrying case too. If they are the same, let me know what you need.

Thanks,

Mark

I've sent a conversation Buzz, thanks. I do have several cases tucked away in the attic so no need in that regard.

Mark

Mark,
Per your suggestion, I checked the continuity of the points on my mini mac 10. There is continuity regardless if they are open or closed. Does that mean the coil or condenser is bad?

Rich

It would seem to indicate the condenser is shorted out. Make sure you have the primary lead (to the coil) disconnected when checking the points.

From memory, the condenser should be .22 µf (.22 micro farads in electronic speak). My guess is you can use most any good condenser and it will work, but in the long run the condenser and coil need to be matched to prevent arcing at the points. I am 99% certain that the condensers from all McCulloch chain saws from the D-30 and up the are the same ratings though some are physically larger or smaller.

My one 10-10 that gave me fits actually had a short somewhere in the points themselves, so don't rule them out just yet. With the condenser disconnected, check the points again to make sure they are O.K. Most of the time you can find a tune up kit for the Mini Mac for sale on e-bay that includes the points and condenser if you want to go that route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCulloch-E...141603457?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item20dcb1f481

Mark

Mark,
I disconnected the coil and condenser and the points checked out okay. I will replace the condenser and see
what happens.
Thanks for the guidance.

Rich

I fixed up this newly arrived geardrive this week. It's a typical Left hand starter version of the 1-63 model sold by Mc Culloch of Belgium.
It sports a 25" bar with 1/2" chain and runs sweet.

Reportedly, this version was released in August 1962, the same month a modest belgian chainsaw collector saw the light of the world. This saw must be a goody then.....hint, hint. :clap:

There is a sealant used when installing those bushings. You may have to punch it out and reseal it with some fuel tank sealer.

It leaks around the hose going through the hole actually. Guess Ill figure something out and put some sealer around it.

Mark, I have a couple Mini Macs you can have...they are disassembled already....1 good cylinder, no good pistons FYI...everything else is there.

-Andy

sorry if this is a question that has been asked before but i didn't get anything doing a search. i have a promac 610 that has been getting dusty on the shelf and the only thing i need is an air filter for it. i did run it when i got it but with the crappy air filter on it i just put it on the shelf.don't know if it still available or not but i know you MAC nuts will point me in the right direction. thanks FS.

Latest posts

Back