McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that video Bob. I'm very happy to see that you've put that saw to work, and that it's doing well for you. I haven't had much luck capturing the real sound of a saw with video recordings either. Makes my day to see an old Mac being put to work again like that.

From what I was able to hear, you can probably lean it a scosh for a bit more power. Those rings are probably broken in by now. As long is it's 4-stroking at WOT unloaded, cleans up under load, and drops back to 4-stroking when you lift cutting load it's fine. I don't like to run 'em on the ragged edge (and I know you don't either).

CAM00209_zps6dda217e.jpg

CAM00210_zps5b3b76ea.jpg

CAM00212_zps84db2863.jpg

CAM00222_zpsc9d5d264.jpg

CAM00227_zps8506f4ce.jpg

IMG_20140514_175354192_zpsyvar8kw3.jpg

IMG_20140515_202436475_zpsg2mrqney.jpg

IMG_20140515_224136111_zpswqtimrif.jpg

IMG_20140516_142235036_zpsriednlak.jpg

IMG_20140516_160426676_zpsip9eeg5y.jpg

DSC02709_zps25fcb949.jpg

DSC02708_zps42f83aa1.jpg

I think you're right, it's running a little fat but I didn't want to take a chance on frying it after all the work you guys went to to put it together.
LOL...plus being deaf as a post makes it hard to tune to a fine edge. Old guy stuff. I let the guy running the self loader do some bucking with it, he's about my age and experience level and spent a lot of time on old Macs. He wanted to know if I'd sell it to him.
Thanks again for your efforts and all the guys who helped out.. I'm still kind of overwhelmed. But I'm keeping the saw. :laugh:

Sorry for re-posting the pictures. Couldn't figure out how to delete them and save the text. Here's a new one to make up for it:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/gologit/PB010179_zpsc3172c01.jpg

Aaron, I am sure we all would love to see Mark and any saws he brings. I will bring that 800 and my 850, and Big Mike has an 800 that runs great but smokes I will try to get him to bring it. We repaced the seal/gasket and it still smoked, pulled the piston and it still had machine marks in the cylinder. So maybe we can get it straightened out.

That 'one screw' oil pump mounting arrangement on the newer 10-series saws is so stupid. The spring/clip 'fix' that Mac came up with is usually a cure..........but is still hokey. That reminds me...........................................Mark any more word on your collaboration with Homelite410 Mike? I could sure use one of those drill jigs for retrofitting the newer tanks for the older (and superior) three screw oil pump mounting.

I think you're right, it's running a little fat but I didn't want to take a chance on frying it after all the work you guys went to to put it together.
LOL...plus being deaf as a post makes it hard to tune to a fine edge. Old guy stuff. I let the guy running the self loader do some bucking with it, he's about my age and experience level and spent a lot of time on old Macs. He wanted to know if I'd sell it to him.
Thanks again for your eefforts and all the guys who helped out.. I'm still kind of overwhelmed. But I'm keeping the saw. :laugh:

Sorry for re-posting the pictures. Couldn't figure out how to delete them and save the text. Here's a new one to make up for it:

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv277/gologit/PB010179_zpsc3172c01.jpg

I'm with ya on leaving it a bit fat. Many of these saws were roached by guys that tuned them within a hair of the ragged edge. Better safe than sorry. You're using good gas and good oil, so that's some extra insurance as well. Glad to hear you're keeping the saw too. :D

ODW - Indeed it did. I couldn't remember any conversation about it, wondered it I'd completely lost my bearings. There are a couple of photos in my paint booth thread at S H.

Aaron - Steve Anderson in NW WI made a bunch of the clips so I've been using them for now. I need to send Mike one of the gaskets to use as a pattern. I have found the clips to be a good solution but since I don't have the brass eyelets I don't know how long before the clips cut into the plastic poker body.

I currently have five 82 cc projects underway. SP 80, PM800 x 2, DE 80, and PM 8200. All of them should make very good runners.

I need to get them finished and out of the way so I can put my 101 saw together again and come up with a saw for the second 101 I got last year.

Mark

Mark - We didn't have any conversation.:D
I read your post on painting and the cardboard booth and that you would like to find a small paint gun to try the mixed paints as others have.:(
I have a half dozen small paint guns for chainsaw work and now you have one too.:rolleyes:

ODW

Thanks again ODW. I will try to find some paint this week and give it a try.

Yesterday I had a bunch of parts on the bench.

DSC06998.JPG

I went out this afternoon to mic the bore and make sure it was good after cleaning up some aluminum transfer and giving it a buff with the ball hone. Well, one thing lead to another and...

DSC07003.JPG

DSC07005.JPG

I need to find another clutch cover designed to be used with the PM800 style compression release. The example below goes with the DE80 project in a box.

DSC07008.JPG

Mark

Have a look under the hood, I believe you will find a McCulloch "bullfrog" carburetor.

There may be a model number/serial number tag as well.

The rear handle has some extra holes that would have been used to hold the starter switch in the 3-10, 5-10, and 10-10 "E" saw with electric start.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I'll do some more research tonight when I'm off work and report back.

John

that most likely has the SDC conversion done to it. That would explain the extra holes and the choke/prime button stuck in. Also the older cover not fitting properly

that most likely has the SDC conversion done to it. That would explain the extra holes and the choke/prime button stuck in. Also the older cover not fitting properly
The cover seals up ok, I just didn't have it cinched down in the pic. I can't find a serial number, or model number anywhere. This thing is about as dirty as it gets.

image.jpg Carb has a mcculloch logo on the top but no other identifying marks as far as I can tell.

Runs and oils, needs a muffler though. Any other ideas ?

Thanks for the help

John

Could have been most anything, 1-10, 2-10, 3-10; it does have the carburetor/tank conversion. Chances are it was not a 70 cc saw but you really need to measure the bore to know for certain, you can do that through the exhaust port. 54 cc are 1.75", 70 cc are 2.00".

Most likely it is/was a 2-10, not a bad little saw.

Almost any 54 cc 10 Series muffler will work, pancake or upright unless it turns out to be a 70cc saw in which case you need one from a 4-10, 5-10, 6-10, 7-10, PM700.

John, that is a 54cc engine. I can tell by the short cooling fins on the bottom of the cylinder. Once you get the muffler off you can know for sure. The 54cc engine has two exhaust ports and the 70cc have one big port. I have a muffler for you. Send me a PM. That is the Walbro SDC carb. You can get a carb kit for that anyware. If you need any other tid bits let us know.

Steve.

This one arrived a few weeks ago looking like this.

DSC06852.JPG

DSC06854.JPG

I tore it apart to give it a good cleaning, a lot of the custom paint job came off in the parts washer. I wanted to keep this one old school and original so I went for the McCulloch bastard .354 chain. The drum is a fixed rim "Speed Mac" and actually only fits the SP80 three shoe clutch, not a 10-10 at all.

DSC07042.JPG

DSC07044.JPG

Staying with the old school theme, I had a NOS 24" roller nose bar that had gotten wet and rusty, makes a nice complement to this saw.

DSC07045.JPG

DSC07051.JPG

DSC07052.JPG

DSC07048.JPG

Mark

cant get my super pro 70 to idle down. runs way to fast and when you back the idle screw out it does nothing. any ideas. other than that seems to run great cuts well when i sink it into a log.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back