McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody ever do any port work on a 10-10? Have any tips or a certain tested setup that works? Please share. I would like to get one of my 10-10s to lay a hurtin on my buddies husky 450 since my old saws are "junk" and why don't I buy a new one lol. I'm pretty sure she would hang with him anyway but I would rather whoop him good. Lol.

Anybody ever do any port work on a 10-10? Have any tips or a certain tested setup that works? Please share. I would like to get one of my 10-10s to lay a hurtin on my buddies husky 450 since my old saws are "junk" and why don't I buy a new one lol. I'm pretty sure she would hang with him anyway but I would rather whoop him good. Lol.

Not sure about porting, but RandyMac has posted in the past about advanced timing.

Ron

Thanks Chy. I looked a while later and it was working. Cool pipe on that 740.
Are there many old MAC's in Japan or are they rare?
I know they assembled the 10 series there. I have an early 10-10 with " Made in Japan" on some parts
Glad you can see it Tim.
Big Mac;s are rare, but 10-10 series and some small Mac;s like Mac 310, 320 are very popular here, the Mac;s we see on a local auction here are mostly one of these.
The first Mac I got five years ago was 10-10 A, now she is my lovely(, lol) experimental saw;
Detecting System.gif
Yes, mine has a Zama carb if I remember correctly.

Maybe try a larger sprocket to get chain speed up since you will most certainly have a serious torque advantage. Also try taki g a bit more off your rakers since you should be able to pull it with maybe .005 down. His Husky is likely wearing .325 and you are running prolly running 3/8 putting you at that disadvantage. My 700 didn't have the speed of my 044 but it also couldn't be stopped, where the 044 could fairly easily be with any kind of push. You should be able to enjoy the same advantage. By the way. The 700 put a smile on everyone's face that ran it where the 044 was just lighter and easier on the ears. Though the 700 had a very wicked note.

2 broke - just get a 7-10 and put a 10-10 AF cover on it. Your friend will not know what to say.

Mark

Would love a 7-10 but can't seem to find one locally, every time I do see one it is either way too much money or the seller doesn't respond.
Plus I would like to keep it in the 50cc class so we are comparing apples to apples.

It's been my understanding that there isn't much to gain by porting these saws..., as in their timing numbers and such are already pretty optimized for achieving the performance they put out 'stock'. Not sure you'd be able to change the torque design to a speed design anyway. 8 tooth sprocket (and .325 setup if possible) as mentioned is where you'll probably see some gains (given a well filed chain, of course).

Here's another idea...

Slap a 24" bar on your 10-10 and make him put one his little 450 p-revver and see how that goes for him. lol

I'm actually running a 28" with full comp 3/8" on it right now lol. He has a 18" with .325 full comp.......... I am pulling a full 10" more bar than him lol.

I do wanna switch out to skip on the 28" bar though. I like the long bar because I don't have to bend over lol.

Gonna have to go back to the drawing board with the "dual port" muffler outlet I built for this saw. I tried to angle it so it would blow out away from the saw but it's still too vertical and will practically make your right ear bleed!!!!! I'll either figure out something different or put the stock louvered outlet back on. Not sure it did much anyway other than maybe make it louder.

Hey Pete - can you put up the photos of the 7-10 with the full wrap again? I took mine to a local shop to see if they could duplicate it and I wanted to see if yours has the same basic shape as this one to confirm I am on the right track to get some reproductions made.

Thanks!

Mark

Back