McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While that sounds effective, I’d like to veer away from proprietary parts if possible.
You can use larger fuel line as a grommet with tygon, I've done that on a couple saws. Cheap, effective, non-proprietary. I also like to change out the barb to fit the smaller fuel line size.

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-mac-10-10-thread.201506/page-65#post-7119702
The bushings are tempting for a "cleaner" look, I might do that in the future. That'll go on the "one of these days..." list :)

There are at least a couple of versions of the aluminum bushings out there, the original McCulloch kit came with some fuel resistant sealer that I think was Loctite 380. The aftermarket ones from 1twomachine on eBay have an o-ring and he recommends using super glue to fix them in place. He put one in one of my saws and it worked well.

Other options with rubber grommets also work and again there are many different solutions available but the grommets must be Buna N, not SBR. I think I got these from Imperial Supply that work with 5/16" O.D. Tygon. The nice thing about this option is the Tygon will fit over the nipple on the carburetor. The bad thing is you must be very careful with the bend as the larger tubing is prone to kink, alternatively you can put a spring inside to prevent the kinking.

20201209_112522.jpg

Another option is a smaller grommet and fuel line as such.

20201209_125022.jpg

With the smaller tubing you have to warm up the end and stretch it out. 1twomachine recommends using a #2 phillips screw driver followed by a 1/4" rod.

20201209_125538.jpg

This does make a nice bell end that fits very precisely. This happens to be a Tillotson HS carburetor off an SP125 but the Walbro SDC carburetors have the same size nipple.

20201209_125657.jpg

Grommet, fuel line, and fuel filter. I find it is usually easier to install the grommet in the tank then push the fuel line through for installation.

20201209_125936.jpg

There was another member, Sierra Mountains, that used some "Echo" fuel line and the same grommet.

20201209_112957.jpg

20201209_113005.jpg

20201209_113015.jpg

20201209_113115.jpg

I like this solution, but have not found a good source for the grommets and the Echo fuel line. It handles the turn from the fuel tank to the carburetor without kinks and fits the nipple on the SDC nicely.

Mark

New aftermarket lines suck. I've tried them and they get hard and shrink pretty much after first tank. That was running E10 though, maybe canned fuel would delay any issues. Next time I need a line I'm gonna try grommet and tygon set up.
Fine !
cc4d7d724c2d551ec98ff501766cfa1d.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

The guy who was selling the McCulloch lawnmower canceled the listing... Very sad.
Meanwhile, here's an oddball that has appeared closer to home. A G-70 with some sort of extra oiling contraption and 32" bar.
Originally $200 but now down to $100. Is this something worth considering?
View attachment 872564
View attachment 872565
Might have been using it for milling?

FWIW...,
That Stihl R3 hose is good line and used to be Stihl's bulk fuel line prior to the latest low permeation standards. It's still available in bulk (as pictured), but is not nitrile. It is now spec'd for non-wet applications such as vent and impulse lines. I'd still use it for fuel line without concern. The current low permeation bulk hose from Stihl is the R5 nitrile hose. There is also a corresponding grommet (0000 989 0526) for use in larger tank opening straight line (non-molded) applications that comes in handy for lots of saws, particularly Huskys. A bag of em isn't all that expensive as I recall. Just a little shy in length as a solution for the 10 series tanks, though..

1twomachine has decided to pull the plug on selling, eBay and PayPal finally got to him. In addition, he's sold all of his tools, machines, and remaining parts (I have some of the stuff...) and he is planning on full time Gospel work. I have a bit of material and will try to make some of the aluminum bushings at some point in the future but I have too many other things to work on at this time. I did find some grommets today that I hope will match up with the smaller ones I showed in the previous post. Now, if anyone knows where to get the "Echo" fuel line in bulk I could put together some after market 10 Series fuel line kits.

Mark

So, I'm currently set to pick up that G-70 friday morning for $90. Assuming everything actually turns out to be mechanically sound, I wonder if it will take right off with a little fuel?
Regardless of that, there's a much bigger question to be answered: Do I keep the external tank setup? Or do I revert it back to original? To be honest the external tank look has kind of grown on me. :laugh:

I looked at the LRB listing again and it is quite frustrating.

MADE IN USA UPGRADED FUEL LINE KIT THAT WON'T LEAK FROM GROMMETS THAT DON'T PROPERLY FIT THE FUEL TANK, IF FUEL LINE NEEDS TO BE REPLACED IT CAN BE STANDARD FUEL LINE FROM ANY CHAINSAW SHOP.
THIS KITS INCLUDES:
VITON FUEL TANK O-RING, REPLACES CORK GASKET
PRESS IN ALUMINUM BUSHING TO REPLACE RUBBER FUEL LINE MOLDED GROMMET THAT LEAKS ALL THE TIME. NO EPOX OR GLUE NEEDED. TESTED ON BOTH NEW AND OLD STYLE FUEL TANKS.
FUEL LINE ETHANOL COMPATIBLE TO E-30.
FUEL FILTER
SHIPS FREE IN THE USA WITH A TRACKING NUMBER

The fuel line appears to be very generic PVC.

They claim it works with old and new style fuel tanks, but the early 10 Series had a much smaller hole in the tank where the fuel line passes through. Either they are not really aware of the differences or they are just misleading in their statements.

The biggest concern is they don't tell you you have to replace the carburetor nipple in order to accommodate the smaller diameter fuel line. Again, either they are sorely ignorant of the differences in the 10 Series saws or just figure the user will either make it work, send it back, or just eat it.

I do like the Viton fuel tank gaskets, not sure about those from LRB but I have used the ones from Sawzilla (Proline) and like them a lot.

Mark

When I left for work this morning I found a nice surprise from the neighbor. A nice little Homelite and a Pro 10-10. He is getting more into estate clean outs and auctions and come across a few saws. He knows I like yellow so sends them my way. He says he's got a lead on another Mac. Half the fun is knowing they are coming but not knowing what it is til it shows up.

Attachments

• 20201210_073022.jpg
    20201210_073022.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Back