McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took apart a 1-52 parts saw I have here. No dice on that crank stuffer, as I assumed, it isn't drilled for the auto oiler and even if I where to drill it there is no flat area around the hole location for a gasket.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
That's too bad it's not flat. I did think of one more piece of advice: Don't re-use the 6 crankcase screws that hold the flywheel side bearing housing. Get some grade 8 Allen head screws. I snapped one when I was torqueing them down in my 660 - to spec actually. That set off a horrible chain of events, the result being I have a broken tap and JB weld in my cylinder. It's holding, runs great, but it can't be re-built again.
I was also doing some research on high temp gaskets, and Mcmaster has some graphite gasket 1/8" thick that I'm interested in getting and would work good for the intake but it's fairly expensive.
https://www.mcmaster.com/gaskets/ga...ure-high-pressure-graphite-gasket-material-6/

I am not sure what screws you used Eric but regular socket head cap screws won't work, on the Super Series engines anyway, as the heads stick up too far and hit the inside of the flywheel.

Mark
I didn't get a chance to try it, that was my plan for next time. I re-used them and snapped one - it was so disheartening. I was showing Brock my little 1/4" drive torque wrench - one click too many. Maybe I'll get some button head screws, they're 120ksi tensile.

Have one
Brian
Still got a fairly large set - Some original Nprth Bros. Phila. Yankee 's in several sizes before Stanley bought them out in 1946 plus a few Millers Falls,Goodell-Pratt ones & a couple smaller Craftsman made by MF in the 50's.They remind me of a Buck Rogers theme & all those sci-fi space exploration/horror "B'' movies of the era.

Well guys,I finally got the carb back on the 10-10S today & I'm pleased to say it's a runner! I think I pulled the carb off the first time right after I got it back in Nov.I had to wait on a fuel line from Bob J.that took forever,he got behind on orders.Then I screwed up the rebuild by putting the fuel pump diaphragm in backwards (imagine that) & the fuel line leaked.I still haven't found the needle boot,so I'll find something to plug that hole with.Any suggestions?

Got the flywheel cover off of this 7-10. First off, there's decades of gunk in there I'm looking forward to clean out. 5-6 flywheel wings broke off, and even one of the pawls is missing (under the flywheel?) and the bolt securing the pawl to the flywheel is snapped. This saw needs some TLC. I hope I can find replacement parts...

Attachments

• 1612998409105.jpg
    1612998409105.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Got the flywheel cover off of this 7-10. First off, there's decades of gunk in there I'm looking forward to clean out. 5-6 flywheel wings broke off, and even one of the pawls is missing (under the flywheel?) and the bolt securing the pawl to the flywheel is snapped. This saw needs some TLC. I hope I can find replacement parts...

Need to find a cheap toasted 10-10 will keep it going for ages. Can buy the parts on ebay though

Need to find a cheap toasted 10-10 will keep it going for ages. Can buy the parts on ebay though
I'll be looking for that for sure. One question that reveals my lack of knowledge: When removing the flywheel I cannot unscrew because the wheel turns when I try. How do I get that done? I need to stop the piston from moving somehow or is there another way?

I'll be looking for that for sure. One question that reveals my lack of knowledge: When removing the flywheel I cannot unscrew because the wheel turns when I try. How do I get that done? I need to stop the piston from moving somehow or is there another way?
Piece of rope with a knot tied in it or a piece of fan belt thru the spark plug hole works as a piston stop.

G'day all
So i may have had another Mac follow me home... Promac 60 this time. It seems in good condition, but carby has been removed & dismantled but never reassembled & put back on for whatever reason... Saw has great compression & the piston & cylinder are clean, so hopefully with a carby rebuild, fuel line & filter, an air cleaner and a good clean she'll be a goer.
Now a question for you all, the fixed jet walbro on these, is it worth changing to a high speed adjustable SDC off a 10-10 or something, or just leave it alone?? I have the fixed jet carbs on Promac 55's & for the amount i actually use them i'm thinking i'll just leave it on this too.
Cheers guys!
20210206_181419.jpg20210206_181437.jpg

G'day all
So i may have had another Mac follow me home... Promac 60 this time. It seems in good condition, but carby has been removed & dismantled but never reassembled & put back on for whatever reason... Saw has great compression & the piston & cylinder are clean, so hopefully with a carby rebuild, fuel line & filter, an air cleaner and a good clean she'll be a goer.
Now a question for you all, the fixed jet walbro on these, is it worth changing to a high speed adjustable SDC off a 10-10 or something, or just leave it alone?? I have the fixed jet carbs on Promac 55's & for the amount i actually use them i'm thinking i'll just leave it on this too.
Cheers guys!
View attachment 888804View attachment 888805
As long as I rebuilt it I dont mind the fixed jet.

I have not had any problems with 10 Series saws equipped with the fixed jet carburetors. My SP125 has a fixed jet as well and you really have to load that one to get it to clean up in the cut.

I did have the Tillotson with the high speed governor on one saw (Super LG-6) and that one gave me all kinds of trouble so I swapped it out for a Walbro SDC. I honestly don't remember if I put an adjustable or fixed jet carburetor on that one.

Mark

I had my fill with a fixed hi jet on a Tilly HS151A that was on my Homie SXL925.After rebuilding it & seeing no difference I pulled it & put a Tilly HS96 on it.I had to change the needle grommet,but it actually ran great after that.
When I had Vinny rebuild my SP81 for me last month it had the fixed hi jet SDC on it.I had him replace it with an SDC37,now those carbs rock!

Back