McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a little advice, I was gifted a 10-10S with a bow bar and manual oiler. I used it for the first time today and love it, bucking logs on the ground is way easier with this, but realized I am not sure how much and when I need to use the manual oiler. My 2 999f saws have auto plus manual oilers, but I need to make sure I don't burn up the bow or chain on this one.
It somewhat depends on the wood, dry dusty and dirty wood has abrasive material in it , so you want to methodically pump as your sawing.
Clean and green as they say wood is usually fine with an initial few pumps at the beginning then the automatic oiler will be primed and up for the task..
How big is the bow?

If it is a 10-10s it has auto oiler in addition to manual oiler.

The original owner told me there was no auto oiler, I believed him, but if you can tell me how to check, I will.

Short of removing the tank cover and physically looking to see if it has been taken out for whatever reason, do what was suggested above.

The auto-oiler adjustment is also on the oil pump itself inside the tank. I've frequently found 10 series auto-oilers already adjusted to provide more than adequate oil for most conditions even when using a 24" bar.

Your saw is a very nice specimen, btw.

Attachments

• 10 Series Oil Pump(s).pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I need a little advice, I was gifted a 10-10S with a bow bar and manual oiler. I used it for the first time today and love it, bucking logs on the ground is way easier with this, but realized I am not sure how much and when I need to use the manual oiler. My 2 999f saws have auto plus manual oilers, but I need to make sure I don't burn up the bow or chain on this one.
999's are pretty uncommon. Cool saws even if not yellow.

another question on my PM800 it has the boss for the compression release and the threads but no opening, it is into the side of the cylinder wall I assume that drilling it is a no-go due to the plating?

another question on my PM800 it has the boss for the compression release and the threads but no opening, it is into the side of the cylinder wall I assume that drilling it is a no-go due to the plating?
It's probably a Q-port exhaust, so no decomp necessary.

It's probably a Q-port exhaust, so no decomp necessary.

If it is an 800, DSP or not, it is a Q Port. You must have an early model before MAC started drilling them. You can drill it if you like, just need a tiny sharp bit and a slow steady hand.

Ron

North East Tennessee MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee. Temps in the 50s. Too windy for felling and too wet for even Plan C. Hoping for better conditions, I went to the range yesterday to check on conditions. This is how things looked last Sunday:
IMG_6816.JPG
No photo, but yesterday the truck's right front tire was flat. So I attempted to inflate it but the inside sidewall blew out at about 20 psi. I took the trailer load to the woodlot, only to discover that what appears above to be a straight trailer is actually a severely twisted trailer. It is now in a frame shop. All blame goes to the dozer operator who turned too sharp and caught the trailer with the cleats.

So last night and early this morning, I put to together an old half trailer / half wagon of mine. I unloaded the deuce and hauled its load to the woodlot at between 15 and 20 mph as they are completely out of logs. This is our new site. Once again the floor of an old factory building. All of the splitters, conveyors and other equipment were to my back. I will try to remember to take a picture of the new set up as it is quite impressive.
IMG_6819.JPG

With the afternoon to kill, I remembered that a friend has been patiently waiting for me to cut a stub out of her yard. She said it was big and was the remains from a tree service job that had gone so awry that her husband sent them packing. So I loaded the 125 for good measure. Ended up to be a 4'+ yard maple about 12' high next to three out buildings. Quickly found that it was hollow so it was barely a snack for the 125. The remains are in the background between the buildings. As always, despite months of sitting and old fuel, the 125 fired right up. I used it to sectioned the stem in lengths that his tractor could handle.
IMG_6820.JPG

One more quick story. While her husband was carting off the remains, we were chatting as we had not seen each other in several years. She looks at my truck and asks, "What happen to the front?" I reply, "I ran into a stump." She then looks at the door and asks what happen to it. I could only truthfully say, "I ran into another stump." I think that little exchange helped make her day.

Be safe.

Ron

Latest posts

Back