McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys always do this and make me feel guilty for my 610 sins :) I just find it so hard to like them. My old mate down the road who I get most of my ancient relics from always tries to send me home with 600 series saws. I gave up last time as he loaded up my suzuki full of "stuff"

The 600 Series saws are some of the easiest selling saws I have. I clean them up, replace parts as needed, and put the on a shelf with a price from $90 to $150 depending on the model and compression. If I ever get any time again I need to restock as the last one went out on Saturday.

Mark
I strip them for the coils, flywheels and cranks. If someone one wanted to trade those parts for some 610's lol.

You guys always do this and make me feel guilty for my 610 sins :) I just find it so hard to like them. My old mate down the road who I get most of my ancient relics from always tries to send me home with 600 series saws. I gave up last time as he loaded up my suzuki full of "stuff"
I dont care much for them either. until I found out some parts worked on the 82cc saws lol!

If you look at the porting in the Super 250 you will understand why they perform so well. Very much like the porting in a kart engine.

View attachment 981301

I wish I had some good photos of a typical saw cylinder but they don't look like that.

Mark
What are you seeing that is distinctly different? Many of the front saw series share that same layout. The 450, 550, 380 for example have that same configuration with the same 6 transfer ports, 3 exhaust and 3 third port holes drilled?

The 600 Series saws are some of the easiest selling saws I have. I clean them up, replace parts as needed, and put the on a shelf with a price from $90 to $150 depending on the model and compression. If I ever get any time again I need to restock as the last one went out on Saturday.

Mark
Well if you need to restock you can just have the one I got. It's actually a good looking saw. Just needs the carb worked on or replaced. That and the oil pump most likely.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Mark
Poor McBricks are taking a beating aren’t they!
View attachment 982003
I know right!
I gave the fellow 10.00 for it just to keep it out of thr scrap bin. I always think ,well I can find a needy person who can use a good saw!
I've about run out of needy people! Lol
I’m needy I’m needy!!!! Lol. Just kidding. I have several and a few on “permanent loan “ to good people.
Anyone else wonder how many saws you would actually have if everyone that has one of yours brought em back at the same time!?!?!? Not complaining at all. I have been blessed with so many still in my shed that I can’t keep them all ran often enough!!

I personally find the 600 Series saws easier to work on and more reliable than any of my 10 Series saws. And their reputation and large numbers made keeps them cheap (or free!) to find. No shortage of parts for sure. If you have any parts to get rid of, send them my way instead of tossing them in the garbage.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Making progress on the PM800- just need a few screws for the starter cover (on order) and see if I can find or make a handle insert. (3d print possibly ) thanks for the help.View attachment 982267

If that handle isn't a actual Stihl elasto start you may be disappointed. Ive tried the aftermarket ones before and they all promptly broke within 3 pulls.
They are nice handles for old saws without a decomp though and the original one lasts forever.

If that handle isn't a actual Stihl elasto start you may be disappointed. Ive tried the aftermarket ones before and they all promptly broke within 3 pulls.
They are nice handles for old saws without a decomp though and the original one lasts forever.
They are the knock offs. I will see if they hold up better than your experience. If it works then I will spring for a real one.

Matt - There were a number of the front tank saws that did not have the "3rd port" feature. This replacement block would be for a 1-41 or 1-51.

20220419_080846.jpg

20220419_080852.jpg

20220419_080900.jpg

In addition, many of the early models did not have all three exhaust ports open. The D-30/36 and 1-40 were examples, as was the MAC15. This 1-41/51 does have all three exhaust ports open.

20220419_080911.jpg

The Super Series engines did normally have the 3rd ports open and all three exhaust ports open. This replacement block is for a 1-71/81.

20220419_080947.jpg

20220419_080959.jpg

20220419_081005.jpg

I'm sure that if you also studied the port timing, certain models like the Super 250, 1-75/85, and 797 have more aggressive timing numbers than many of the standard models.

Mark

until I found out some parts worked on the 82cc saws lol!
The 600 series flywheel side bearing and seal (67905 and 67906) are also common to many 10 series saws -- primarily the 10-10 -- but is also an interchangeable solution for the harder to find 63429B / 61618 combination in other 10 series saws.

( Photo courtesy of Mark )
10 Series Bearings.jpg

Not sure if I'm in the right section here (Newby), but is anyone able to tell me where to source a McCulloch Super 250 bar from? I have checked with the local retailers and non-OEM area rep in Australia with no success. I'm hoping there may be a 20 or 24 inch bar I can easily adapt from another make and model.
Cheers

Back