McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few more pics after pulling it off the saw. Some of the silicon was loose anyway so I peeled a bit more off (pic 214323). Seems like there is some white paste or something underneath the fabric wrap.

If you find it interesting and want to see it in person, I'm happy to ship it to you. The saw itself is kind of a hot mess, bought as a parts saw (yah, I know, parts saw = another rebuild). Otherwise, I'm probably going to start peeling away layers to see what's underneath out of curiosity.

Attachments

• 20220701_214223.jpg
    20220701_214223.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220701_214323.jpg
    20220701_214323.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220701_214413.jpg
    20220701_214413.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220701_140156.jpg
    20220701_140156.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Wrapped this guy up today, I had previously torn down and resealed this saw only to find there was a crack in the oil tank that leaked rather profusely, guess I should have payed more attention lol. I tried cleaning an using JB weld on the crack but it literally just did not stick and peeled right off. On my second attempt I used Qbond with the reinforcing powder. She holds oil now!!! Lol. This saw is a screamer with literally hang from the rope compression!. I added the 24 inch power match bar and chain as well. 20220702_183319.jpg20220702_183328.jpg20220702_183339.jpg

Wrapped this guy up today, I had previously torn down and resealed this saw only to find there was a crack in the oil tank that leaked rather profusely, guess I should have payed more attention lol. I tried cleaning an using JB weld on the crack but it literally just did not stick and peeled right off. On my second attempt I used Qbond with the reinforcing powder. She holds oil now!!! Lol. This saw is a screamer with literally hang from the rope compression!. I added the 24 inch power match bar and chain as well. View attachment 1000434View attachment 1000435View attachment 1000436
That Qbond some good stuff

Mark,I suppose it depends on what you call expensive for the primers.I know Bob J.had some for around $40 & it was my intention to buy a couple,but that didn't happen.PM me with a price.

Wrapped this guy up today, I had previously torn down and resealed this saw only to find there was a crack in the oil tank that leaked rather profusely, guess I should have payed more attention lol. I tried cleaning an using JB weld on the crack but it literally just did not stick and peeled right off. On my second attempt I used Qbond with the reinforcing powder. She holds oil now!!! Lol. This saw is a screamer with literally hang from the rope compression!. I added the 24 inch power match bar and chain as well. View attachment 1000434

A four beer job is what I'm seeing here... 😄

Talk about a four beer job.....today i tackled a mini mac 1

I came out on top also. It was given to me in a 3 saw allotment by a guy i work with. Along with a poulan xx something that was scorched. And that little cox chainsaw. So it had great compression and i told the guy...this will run. Today was the day. Total tear down and cleaning. No spark so after the points. They were burnt. Filed them up gapped them and now great spark. Really great spark. So then was carburetor. Took it off and apart then soaked it for an hour or so in goof off. Put it back together and back on the engine. Then the task of putting that engine back in the case. It took a bit but its in there. Then the tests, still have spark so a shot of fuel and we have fire. Then filled the tank. Nothing leaking anywhere so i pulled it and after 10 or so it fired up and ran. Feathered the choke awhile till it finally pulled fuel good and that was that. Several hours of effort but no real issues. It runs idles stops and restarts. I wish people would stop giving those bassturds away...lol. great little runner though. Saved from the garbage. Thought id share the story. Happy 4th to all.

Got one of the two 805's done today. She's really got lots of guts and spunk. For some reason I don't see many of these in my neck of the woods. This one is close to original. its got a few screws broken off. I will tear her down and fix them sometime. I slapped a 28" older Oregon on her with a good full chisel chain, buried her in a 24" Poplar. After a tweak on the high side she hunkered down REAL well. I was actually surprised. Best cutting 805 I have now. in the top 5 82cc Macs also. Uncle always says his favorite saw is an 805 lol. This one won a spot in my heart today. Thats saying something at this point in my saw journey.

HAPPY 4th of July friends!Good 805 top.jpgGood 805 clutch side.jpgGood 805 recoil side.jpgGood 805 compression.JPG

Got one of the two 805's done today. She's really got lots of guts and spunk. For some reason I don't see many of these in my neck of the woods. This one is close to original. its got a few screws broken off. I will tear her down and fix them sometime. I slapped a 28" older Oregon on her with a good full chisel chain, buried her in a 24" Poplar. After a tweak on the high side she hunkered down REAL well. I was actually surprised. Best cutting 805 I have now. in the top 5 82cc Macs also. Uncle always says his favorite saw is an 805 lol. This one won a spot in my heart today. Thats saying something at this point in my saw journey.

HAPPY 4th of July friends!View attachment 1000650View attachment 1000651View attachment 1000652View attachment 1000653
Great looking saw !!

I picked up this guy today, gave $40 for it. It was stuck tight, guy said so in the add but the saw looked real clean and low hour so I figured for $40 it would pay for itself in parts. Anyway, pulled the muffler, spark plug, and recoil. Let it soak with some penetrating oil for a few hours, put a ratchet on the flywheel and cranked it backwards and it freed right up. Didn't even need to pull the carb apart or clean the points, had good spark, dumped the crap out of the fuel tank, added fresh, and away she went. A little tuning and it seems to run decent.
Also, it is the first one of these saws I've had that didnt have the handle brace from the factory. Interesting they used an blockoff plug.20220703_205640.jpg20220703_205648.jpg20220703_205657.jpg20220703_205705.jpg20220703_205724.jpgView attachment 20220703_205300.mp420220703_205729.jpg

I picked up this guy today, gave $40 for it. It was stuck tight, guy said so in the add but the saw looked real clean and low hour so I figured for $40 it would pay for itself in parts. Anyway, pulled the muffler, spark plug, and recoil. Let it soak with some penetrating oil for a few hours, put a ratchet on the flywheel and cranked it backwards and it freed right up. Didn't even need to pull the carb apart or clean the points, had good spark, dumped the crap out of the fuel tank, added fresh, and away she went. A little tuning and it seems to run decent.
Also, it is the first one of these saws I've had that didnt have the handle brace from the factory. Interesting they used an blockoff plug.View attachment 1000676

I have 40 and 42 parts of you ever need them. I striped the saws for the hardware. all the parts are still there except the recoil covers and flywheels. the parts are free to a good home..just cover cost of the ride.

I have 40 and 42 parts of you ever need them. I striped the saws for the hardware. all the parts are still there except the recoil covers and flywheels. the parts are free to a good home..just cover cost of the ride.
I actually could use the coil for the 1-40. I have one here running weird and I've covered all my bases, last thing to try is a coil. I was gonna use one from a parts carcass but all I have are the ones with the spark plug on the left so I'd have to swap a longer coil wire. Doable, but it would be way easier if I just had the right one lol.

I have been finding a few interesting items as I continue to work my way through the Discount Marine parts inventory.

I found a few more 84954 air filters for the SP60/80 models with the cold weather set up, these are a fine brass mess rather than the flocked filters. Certainly these are not widely available but were produced in some quantities for the cold weather models.

This one is pretty special, the cold weather / fine brass mesh type for the rigid PM style saws.

20220702_154138.jpg

This is also a fairly limited production part, the cold weather ducted muffler for the CP125 model saws.

20220702_155122.jpg

These parts are used on the 2-10PS models, the grinder set up used with the old .404 auto-sharp chain.

20220425_143929.jpg

I have also uncovered a few more tools McCulloch supplied for special tasks. This is part of the kit supplied for pressure/vacuum testing the PM6 model saws.

20220415_160631.jpg

This is the full kit less the rubber parts - gaskets and a green stopper with a hole through it.

20220415_154412.jpg

This one is used to support the piston bosses when pressing the wrist pin bearings out.

20220415_101202.jpg

These were used when pressing the wrist pin and bearings in and out of the piston on the PM6 saws, there is a very similar set up for the Mini Mac models.

20220415_153520.jpg

20220415_153540.jpg

1656982314707.png

I have several of the support blocks as well.

And finally for those of you that have been patient enough to read through the entire post...can anyone beside Vinny I.D. this:

20220704_171211.jpg

Mark

The exciter coil (Item 43) is located away from the ignition coil on the welder.

1656983316997.png

The ignition coil and laminations on the welder are the same as those used on many of the large frame Super Series engines.

1656983860624.png

As noted previously, the resistor on the electric start models occupies the space where Vinny's mystery coil is located.

20190711_123618_001.jpg

Mark

Did some cutting today, ran a few saws. The 7-10 and PM55 both performed flawlessly. The 5-10 still has an ignition issue. I made 2 cuts with it, it was too rich, I paused to tune it and while I was tuning it, it just shut off. I checked and had no spark. Have not looked into it any further. I replaced the coil and flywheel with known good and installed a new ignition module in place of the points. Thinking at this point it must be the kill switch...... unless the module died prematurely, but I've had good luck with them thus far.
Also ran the 1-43 I picked up yesterday. It ran strong but what a dog of a saw, definitely detuned from the other front tank saws I've run lol. I rocked the chain on that one🤬. It was a brand new, never filed, Oregon chipper chain. Anyone have tips on filing this round tooth chipper chain? I always struggle with it. I can file a full chisel razor sharp but just can't seem to get chipper chain for some reason.

Back