McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave Bob Johnson a call today to see how he's doing.He was like the old Bob I knew in the past,still had his sense of humor & was quite lucid.We must've chatted for about 20 min.I told him how Max is calling his building "McHalla" & he got a kick out of it.I was under the impression that he still had quite a few Homelite parts,but I was mistaken.He said that I got the majority of them when I bought a pick up truck load back in Aug.He said he's enjoying his retirement & said he's glad he got out of the parts business when he did.I'll keep everyone informed of how he's doing in the future.

It's pretty sad when someone comes into my living room & steals 2 Tilly HL carbs for my Mac saws.I had both rebuilt & ready to go on my D44 & 1-70.I've had a bunch more parts saws stolen too along with 6 brand new Oregon D096 bars.The parts saws were little Homies - XLs & Super2s.

I gave Bob Johnson a call today to see how he's doing.He was like the old Bob I knew in the past,still had his sense of humor & was quite lucid.We must've chatted for about 20 min.I told him how Max is calling his building "McHalla" & he got a kick out of it.I was under the impression that he still had quite a few Homelite parts,but I was mistaken.He said that I got the majority of them when I bought a pick up truck load back in Aug.He said he's enjoying his retirement & said he's glad he got out of the parts business when he did.I'll keep everyone informed of how he's doing in the future.
There is a good selection of Homelite parts still at Bobs. I saw them with my own eyes. You should talk to Joan about it. She would like to see them sold as well.

There is a good selection of Homelite parts still at Bobs. I saw them with my own eyes. You should talk to Joan about it. She would like to see them sold as well.
I did talk with Joan & she said there weren't many Homie parts left.I thought that maybe you'd gotten a bunch of them along with the Mac parts.I told Bob when I talked with him that I was interested in what he had left.I asked if he had another pick up load & he said no.

As for Homie parts dealers,there's Buford Parrish in Ky. who is 86 & another guy in Ks.who has the start of dementia,Leon Crouch in Or.who has nickel & dime stuff,& another guy in Ks.who just bought Joyce Wilson's inventory from her grandson,then there's me.

Attachments

• McCulloch_Engines_Tillotson_Carburetors_.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
Roland - I've only seen a few of the older saw ring sets that included one or both chrome plated. Often times it was only the top ring that was plated.

None of the 10 Series rings (62812, 62813, 62814, 87166, 63291, 63292, 85241, 85245) were chrome plated.

Mark
Hi Mark,

The interactions of various metal's used in cylinder / piston piston ring combinations is an interesting topic. Certain combinations work very well, and it was found in the late first half of the last century, chrome faced rings extended life between engine overhauls substantially over plain iron. I know my front tank iron bore saws have chrome top rings.

When chrome cylinders came along, materials again changed, with steel top rings being common on on higher performance two strokes, iron alloy also popular too. One thing which will end badly, is chrome rings on chrome cylinders. Never do this.

My comment about cheap rings being second choice, is based on my experience with short life, inspection shows obvious surface finish, dimensional and composition deficiencies.

Hope this helps, certainly approve of your endeavour. Its worth getting it right - we know some of the replica products out there such as pistons sadly fall short, when just a little more attention could have had it right. Happy to help if I can.

Roland

hello. im wondering what you guys would value kits like this at. possibly going for a substantial trade and im wondering what others opinions are on fair market value. complete aside from hardware. no broken parts. assemblies roll freely. crank rod, chrome and pistons in good shape. tanks clean. sorry the picture is kind of crap. i appreciate you all. thanks.

Attachments

• 20221207_124855.jpg
    20221207_124855.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Are you talking about someone breaking in or like a visitor that put them in a pocket and left.
Sucks no matter.
From what I can figure,this happened back on July 3rd when my son had a party at our house.Someone must've walked into the living room & spotted the carbs & helped themselves.The parts saws were in the shed where I kept them & those came up missing sometime between March & July.I've had saws turn up missing before,but it didn't make sense because they were all non-runners that were missing a carb or just didn't run.Some people like to steal just for the thrill of stealing,then there are those who like to hurt other people.

That is not good to hear. Any time someone sees or hears about someones cool collection their is another kind of person that thinks I'm going to take it. The old friend of a friend told me where to get my next fix at. If I could help let me know.

hello. im wondering what you guys would value kits like this at. possibly going for a substantial trade and im wondering what others opinions are on fair market value. complete aside from hardware. no broken parts. assemblies roll freely. crank rod, chrome and pistons in good shape. tanks clean. sorry the picture is kind of crap. i appreciate you all. thanks.
Are you selling this or looking for a trade? Or is this something you found and a guy is asking you for a trade? If this were complete and together on ebay youd be looking at 700-1000. In its current state of course its substantially less. Id put a value of 250.00 towards 400. Id bet on ebay if listed for 400.00 it would sell.

Are you selling this or looking for a trade? Or is this something you found and a guy is asking you for a trade? If this were complete and together on ebay youd be looking at 700-1000. In its current state of course its substantially less. Id put a value of 250.00 towards 400. Id bet on ebay if listed for 400.00 it would sell.
no sir. these kits are saws from my collection. i am considering a substantial trade with another gentleman on the island and was just curious to see what people would estimate the worth for a trade..the exhaust covers alone go for 100$ on ebay. if i was to sell parts individually each saw would gross me about 1500-2000 canadian. i dont do ebay or ship anything. i deal in person. thanks for the reply.

no sir. these kits are saws from my collection. i am considering a substantial trade with another gentleman on the island and was just curious to see what people would estimate the worth for a trade..the exhaust covers alone go for 100$ on ebay. if i was to sell parts individually each saw would gross me about 1500-2000 canadian. i dont do ebay or ship anything. i deal in person. thanks for the reply.
Whats the story with that AWESOME truck?

something i put together about 6 years ago or so. 1981 chevy c60. dodge 1 ton box. stock sb350. split gear 5 speed. sold her a few years ago. she was an excellent daily driver. miss that truck. it actually went viral when i posted her because of an interaction with a fellow from vancouver. check out jalopnik.com search c60 for that, more pictures and a funny commentary. thanks for the compliment sir. i was very proud of that truck.

Back