McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much? My 800 is an A. Thing is it doesn't need a piston will it ever? It gets used occasionally here n there

Edit..
The 81 IS due a piston for sure. Pretty sure it was a B
My 800 is an A also (the one I rebuilt) .
Luckily JoeyMT had an A with a small ding in it which he sent me .
Even with the cleaned up cylinder and dinged piston its a strong runner.

My 800 is an A also (the one I rebuilt) .
Luckily JoeyMT had an A with a small ding in it which he sent me .
Even with the cleaned up cylinder and dinged piston its a strong runner.
Sure do like mine, with the new 850 muffler, it’s a strong one to 👍

Been tempted to just flog the 850 engine for the 81. Why carry the heavier 850 when I have a 81??
Hey,if it'll work,why not?Make yourt life easier if ya can.I know a guy on another forum who put an 850 engine in an 805.I don't know much about either saw.I haven't had a chance to take my 850 out cutting yet,maybe won't get the chance to till this fall.I'll be going under the knife again for another knuckle replacement next month or early April.

Hey,if it'll work,why not?Make yourt life easier if ya can.I know a guy on another forum who put an 850 engine in an 805.I don't know much about either saw.I haven't had a chance to take my 850 out cutting yet,maybe won't get the chance to till this fall.I'll be going under the knife again for another knuckle replacement next month or early April.
It's just that it's a real nice 850.

Dang they love cutting you up Ed

Its yours no matter. Swap em out if you want to.

Im really debating.on what to do with a DE80 that runs great and looks great......what to do? I have another that sits alot and looks better to be honest. I dont need 2 or them. Great saw, starts and runs well. 99% complete. Just dont know if i want to keep it or not?

Im really debating.on what to do with a DE80 that runs great and looks great......what to do? I have another that sits alot and looks better to be honest. I dont need 2 or them. Great saw, starts and runs well. 99% complete. Just dont know if i want to keep it or not?
Sell the worst one... build another 81

Whats the difference between the De80 and the others?

Whats the difference between the De80 and the others?
Black and wrecker messed with the intake boot.. its a solid plastic block on the DE80.. opening in tank bottom different (bigger hole). otherwise its a 800 block. Not sure if they played with porting in the jug.

2nd what max has stated. A few differences from an 800 but not much. Change the fuel tank and get a boot and you have an 800 or 805. I cant answer to porting either but it looks the same to me. The carb on the DE80 is governed also.

Now to build another sp81....not likely. I have 4 of them. I dont need another. Ive sold a few over the years also that ive put together. Awesome chainsaws but i dont want another one.

2nd what max has stated. A few differences from an 800 but not much. Change the fuel tank and get a boot and you have an 800 or 805. I cant answer to porting either but it looks the same to me. The carb on the DE80 is governed also.

Now to build another sp81....not likely. I have 4 of them. I dont need another. Ive sold a few over the years also that ive put together. Awesome chainsaws but i dont want another one.
Besides the G70 how many gear drives do you mess around with Vinny?

I have a somewhat recently acquired DE80 with a PM8200 short block in it. This is the second DE80 with a PM8200 short block that I've had.

As Max noted, the DE80 has the carburetor hard mounted to the cylinder to eliminate the "third port boot". There is an oversize hole in the bottom of the fuel tank and a large grommet or boot surrounding the carburetor to create a seal.

20200227_135934.jpg

20200227_135748.jpg

20221112_080717.jpg

20221112_080734.jpg

The throttle trigger, throttle linkage, and oiler rod are all different as well.

Mark

I have a g70 and i have a 5-10g. The g70 i bought was a garbage engine and fuel tank. But i had a spare 7-10. So i used the 7-10 engine and g70 saw and put it all together. Its a runner. My 5-10g was fine other than a busted out keyway on the starter side. Got a new crankshaft off mark and its a great runner. Then i have a 55. Big ol heavy thing. 72cc . It needs a carb kit. But it does run. Thats all of the gear saws.

I didn't thnk the damage inside the crankcase was too bad so I cleaned everything up began reassembly. I like to pressure test before moving on and after several failed attempts (I had the block off for the intake upside down...) I realized there was a leak somewhere...

I had to resort to dunking it in water and found the problems, at some point when the crankshaft pinched the BB against the side of the case it distorted it and cracked through. The ones in the green circle were O.K. but the one in red...

View attachment 1058554

...led to this.

View attachment 1058555

I cleaned it very thoroughly and applied some JB Weld to the interior surface. I learned from Terry Ives that warming everything up first helps the JB flow out. I'll do a little grinding, filing, sanding to clean it up before putting it back together.

View attachment 1058556

Mark
where would we be without jb weld??????

I spent a couple of hours on the BP-1 again today. I remembered Brian Genrich mentioned some problems with the adhesive he used to attach the gaskets to the metering diaphragms so the first step was to remove the carburetor, disassemble, clean off the adhesive residue from the gaskets, diaphragms, and throughout the carburetor and try again. Now is was flooding, remove the plug, clean and dry, one pop and flooded again.

Removed the carburetor again, more testing, replaced the needle, seat (same rubber seat as a Tillotson HL), washer, finally I had to use a 5/16" end mill and clean up the bottom of the seat, and finally it will hold pressure. Back together again and it started and ran briefly but would not idle. At that point I noticed the starter rope is about to let go so I set it aside for today.

Mark

I spent a couple of hours on the BP-1 again today. I remembered Brian Genrich mentioned some problems with the adhesive he used to attach the gaskets to the metering diaphragms so the first step was to remove the carburetor, disassemble, clean off the adhesive residue from the gaskets, diaphragms, and throughout the carburetor and try again. Now is was flooding, remove the plug, clean and dry, one pop and flooded again.

Removed the carburetor again, more testing, replaced the needle, seat (same rubber seat as a Tillotson HL), washer, finally I had to use a 5/16" end mill and clean up the bottom of the seat, and finally it will hold pressure. Back together again and it started and ran briefly but would not idle. At that point I noticed the starter rope is about to let go so I set it aside for today.

Mark
Had that happen a few times. Almost there and bam - starter rope gone. Very frustrating.

Back