McCulloch Kart Engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm interested in the idea of putting a McCulloch kart engine in one of their saws. Which models of engines fit in which saws? How much modification will be needed? Are the benefits worth the work involved?

It all depends on which kart motors your using.
The MC91 and possibly others go into the Mac 250 frame.
And the Mc75 and MC100 go into the Mac 740, 790, and 795 as well as some geardrives. The Mc101's go into the CP125 and SP125, To the best of my knowledge they all bolt
right in but you have to use the stock chainsaw intake and exhast to keep it looking stock. The kart engines do run well in the saw frames but with the resticted intake and exhaust you don't get the full benefits of the kart motor.

Others may have more experience than myself
and may chime in.

Lee

I plead ignorance

I have heard much about Kart engines, and yet know little. What are they other than engines made for gokarts, and what is special about them and how often were they used in chainsaws, and why. Any and all information appreciated. I think my SP125 has PLENTY of guts. JR

Hardest part of putting a Kart engine in a saw is having to start the SOB.. IT will test the rope tensil strength as well as your Testicular Fortitude..

Rick

Hardest part of putting a Kart engine in a saw is having to start the SOB.. IT will test the rope tensil strength as well as your Testicular Fortitude..

Rick

Second that. I recall one suggestion to add a momentary kill switch that you would have depressed as you start cranking and then release as the engine spins over. It could work. The ignition is what kicks me not the compression.

Chris B.

Rick

And yet a third..... You will know upon your first pull whether you are going to have a good or bad day and if you are on your game or not.

PM McBob.

Here's a couple of pics of his current twin 101B hotsaw build

101saw7.jpg

101saw2.jpg

and a file of it running.
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/ozflea/?action=view&current=101running.flv

Hmmm... That thing would be fun to try on the Alaskan mill!

I've never really found out the displacements of the kart engines. I assume the 101B is not 101cc, otherwise what would be the point of putting one in a 125?

Bill, was that before or after Reinbeck last fall?

Scott Mueller (McC) has a 91 in the 250 frame that runs well in Baraboo.

As I understand, the kart engines are higher compression, hotter porting, and closer tolerances in the crankcase for more oomph on the induction side.

I agree though, just starting the SP125, 740, or my 1-85 are enough adventure for me.

Mark

It all depends on which kart motors your using.
The MC91 and possibly others go into the Mac 250 frame.
And the Mc75 and MC100 go into the Mac 740, 790, and 795 as well as some geardrives. The Mc101's go into the CP125 and SP125, To the best of my knowledge they all bolt
right in but you have to use the stock chainsaw intake and exhast to keep it looking stock. The kart engines do run well in the saw frames but with the resticted intake and exhaust you don't get the full benefits of the kart motor.

Others may have more experience than myself
and may chime in.

Lee

It's easiest to put a kart engine in the earlier saws like a 250 (and related models), 1-7X series, 1-82, or a 1-86. Mounts have to be fabricated for some blocks, and some grinding has to be done on some blocks to get oil tanks, intake manifolds, stuffers, and fan housings to work. It all depends on which kart engines you want to put into which saws.

For instance, the 101 motors need to have the holes fabbed in the head for the rear vibration mount and you'll need the saw stuffer when fitting one into a 125 chassis. If you don't have the saw stuffer then you'll need the thin kart stuffer and you'd have to drill a hole in it for the oiler rod. You'd also need the correct fan housing to work with which ever starter you have.

You also need to make sure your kart engine has the tapered crank that's compatible with a chainsaw clutch.

It's easiest to put a kart engine in the earlier saws like a 250 (and related models), 1-7X series, 1-82, or a 1-86. Mounts have to be fabricated for some blocks, and some grinding has to be done on some blocks to get oil tanks, intake manifolds, stuffers, and fan housings to work. It all depends on which kart engines you want to put into which saws.

For instance, the 101 motors need to have the holes fabbed in the head for the rear vibration mount and you'll need the saw stuffer when fitting one into a 125 chassis. If you don't have the saw stuffer then you'll need the thin kart stuffer and you'd have to drill a hole in it for the oiler rod. You'd also need the correct fan housing to work with which ever starter you have.

You also need to make sure your kart engine has the tapered crank that's compatible with a chainsaw clutch.

See, I knew there was someone out there that new more than me.

Thanks for the info JJ.

Lee

Hmmm... That thing would be fun to try on the Alaskan mill!

I've never really found out the displacements of the kart engines. I assume the 101B is not 101cc, otherwise what would be the point of putting one in a 125?

MC101b is 123cc, same as 797, CP125, and SP125.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the kart engines is here:
http://macbobaust.com/mac_karts.html

That being the case, what is the advantage to swapping the original engine out for a kart one? Not to be a pest, it's just that I've heard a lot of hype about these engines but have never actually worked on any of the big old Macs to know first-hand.

That being the case, what is the advantage to swapping the original engine out for a kart one? Not to be a pest, it's just that I've heard a lot of hype about these engines but have never actually worked on any of the big old Macs to know first-hand.

What else, More power.
It was not uncommon back in the day
that loggers who demanded more power
would have there local Mcculloch dealer
swap out the original motor for a kart motor.
Especially in the 795,797 and SP125 Mccullochs.

Lee

Latest posts

Back