McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark. I'm very grateful for the McCulloch knowledge you've shared here. It's helped me fix up this saw along with my 10-10A, PM700, and 4600, as well as my old man's 3818. I'd gladly purchase a yellow cover from you if you've got one. Feel free to shoot me a PM when time permits.

I rescued this little guy from my buddy's scrap pile. It was a dirty mess with several parts missing. The cylinder was full of oil and the spark plug hole was stripped out. I went over the oiler and freed up the ball in the check valve. I also Helicoil'ed the cylinder, and consequently the original taper plug would no longer seal. I ended up going with a standard CJ8 plug with a crush washer. I need to modify the rear handle a bit so I can remove the larger plug easily. Of course I rebuilt the carburetor, it had a Zama so I lucked out there. The chain tensioner was missing so I modified a different one I had. She runs great! I may even invest in an uncracked air filter cover. I epoxied the old one for now.

View attachment 1148980View attachment 1148981
Nice little saws when all the bugs worked out of em. I have 2 mac 120’s in the barn I put some time into. They both fired up and ran well this morning at 10 deg.

Mine can't seem to keep bar oil in it for long, leaks out rather quickly. Seems to be a common problem. At least the cylinder isn't filling up now.

If the tank itself is not cracked and leaking, the most common issue is the connector between the tank and the saw. There are two different parts depending on the models, automatic oiler versions use 84613/217167 and manual oiler only 217156.

I just discovered there was a "CP" (Cushion Power) version of the Mini Mac with anti-vibe mounts at the front and rear handles. If anyone happens to have one they want to move along, I would be interested.

1707227450482.png

This is different from the SP40/PM510/515 type handle. I can't say that I have ever seen one like this.

Mark

Mark,

I triple checked that line but it's not the problem. It seems to dribble constantly from the bar oil hole. Would that indicate a bad check valve? Does the manual oiler plunger use any o-rings/seals?

Todd

The "check valve" in the manual only version is shown here as Item 1. It is just a little rubber sleeve that fits in the pocket before the connector plugs into the tank. I will admit I don't actually understand how it works, but I know that it must be there for the manual only to pump oil.

1707271259337.png

Mark

To update my post with findings. The Hubbards Spring Co. would have to have an order of 100 to run and they are $2.68 each as they do not have any in stock.

The Mikes carb shop link has 1/2" aluminum but a warehouse person measured and they are thicker than .0302, more like .064. But they are $6.85 for 10. Being aluminum, they should file down much quicker with less blood from my finger tip.

I bought some 1/2" aluminum welch plugs from the mike's carb shop online. Going to try them out on the next minimac 6.

welch plugs mikes carb shop.jpgwelch plugs.jpg

The plug on the far left is the aluminum Mike's carb shop, the middle is a steel McMaster Carr, and the one on the right is the original....all are 1/2".

This was my first plug removal and install....greenhorn! I just used a small socket with a small ball peen hammer. One solid hit with carb sitting on a bundled up rag. I might not should have used a socket and instead a solid punch?

Need to test it out. Afraid to pull the fuel line off and destroy it possibly.welch plug hammered in.jpg

On the Minimac 6 does anyone use a fat oring to possibly eliminate any leaks? Seems like an oddball way that it just sits in the tank recess up against the filter and not be a snug fit.

fuel line.jpg

That is an old, old fuel line. The more "modern" version has a fitting with an o-ring that plugs into the tank and allows the use of a more conventional fuel line. The fitting also clips into the housing to keep in in the saw when you pull the fuel/oil tank out.

1709949294987.png

The fuel line kits are PN 90661. Let me know if you can't find them elsewhere, I have a few still.

Mark

On the Minimac 6 does anyone use a fat oring to possibly eliminate any leaks? Seems like an oddball way that it just sits in the tank recess up against the filter and not be a snug fit.

View attachment 1160311
You'll want to replace that fuel line with the more modern style that Mark illustrated. My MM 6 had one of those and it didn't have a chance of sealing tight. You need the plastic tank pickup with the O Ring that takes a normal fuel line to the carb

Latest posts

Back