McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Zama is, in my opinion, a much better and more trouble-free design than the Walbro MDC.
Interestingly enough... I've found a healthy MDC to be easier to tune, but that's just my personal experience. Both work well when they are in good working order.

Those auto oilers are finicky contraptions, but they will pump a ton of oil when they are working correctly!

The Zama is, in my opinion, a much better and more trouble-free design than the Walbro MDC.
Interestingly enough... I've found a healthy MDC to be easier to tune, but that's just my personal experience. Both work well when they are in good working order.

Those auto oilers are finicky contraptions, but they will pump a ton of oil when they are working correctly!
You and Mark are spot on. Rebuilt a zama and tossed the MDC aside for now. Runs fine, tune it in wood. Guys, I’m addicted. 364D7F9A-2E4D-4637-9094-4945ACE25B4A.jpegE94F5DE1-988E-450D-A0BC-77B7EE522DC5.jpeg

You and Mark are spot on. Rebuilt a zama and tossed the MDC aside for now. Runs fine, tune it in wood. Guys, I’m addicted. View attachment 1118034View attachment 1118035
Oohhh you tapped those bosses in the housing for bucking spikes.... I like it.

Looks like you're addicted... These saws are so cheap and plentiful it's a tough habit to break. They are very snappy saws for their size, I'm convinced a 30cc mini Mac will outperform some 42cc saws.

Oohhh you tapped those bosses in the housing for bucking spikes.... I like it.

Looks like you're addicted... These saws are so cheap and plentiful it's a tough habit to break. They are very snappy saws for their size, I'm convinced a 30cc mini Mac will outperform some 42cc saws.
I think some came from the factory tapped. Just tapping the ones that were not.

Gents I have a problem with a couple of the Eager Beavers with the cylinder filling with oil to the point they won’t pull start until it’s cleaned out. Is this a problem with that big O ring at the base of the oil pump or something else? Thanks in advance for the help. Pig
Figured I’d post a follow up on this problem with the cylinder filling with oil. This saw would run great but would smoke out the neighborhood and required alot of bar oil, not only for chain lube, but to burn. I’m done screwing around replacing parts of the oil pump hoping to fix this. But the bullet and purchased a NOS pump pn 219989 and installed. Problem solved. Saw burned out residual oil and no smoke. Required some carb tuning once it was running on mix only.

90% of the time, bar oil seeping into the cylinder on a Mini Mac or 300 Series saw is a result of a faulty o-ring at the base of the pump. If the pump itself is badly worn from a lot of use, oil can seep directly through the pump.

Mark
Thank you Mark
I have been replacing the base o ring anytime I open the mini Mac up for the first time. I find them flat, but complete. Two of my mini’s still allowed bar oil in. I tried cleaning the pump, replacing the piston disk o ring, and still bar oil would seep in. One saw would fill to the point of locking up. I used the 219989 white colored pump on both of these saws and they are working well. Made in Mexico I think.
90% of the time, bar oil seeping into the cylinder on a Mini Mac or 300 Series saw is a result of a faulty o-ring at the base of the pump. If the pump itself is badly worn from a lot of use, oil can seep directly through the pump.

Mark

Mark
Thank you Mark
I have been replacing the base o ring anytime I open the mini Mac up for the first time. I find them flat, but complete. Two of my mini’s still allowed bar oil in. I tried cleaning the pump, replacing the piston disk o ring, and still bar oil would seep in. One saw would fill to the point of locking up. I used the 219989 white colored pump on both of these saws and they are working well.

I have another MM6 working on and need to cross the 1/2" Welsh plug #68560. Is there a go to part no I can get that youze guyz use?

Is it 1/2" exactly? I can dig in my bag of welch plugs in the next day or so and see if I have some that size.
I'm no where near a machinist skill level for measurement and this is just a HF Pittsburgh tool. This is from the first MM6 I worked on. Thanks, and @MacAttack gave me a Steins part no that he says works. I appreciate you looking but dont want to take from your stash. You may run across a gaggle of minimacs you can't resist busting open and putting back together.mcculloch welch plug 1.jpeg

Here's the Stens Welch plugs I used on an MDC carb out of a Mini Mac 35 a while back, they are indeed 7/16". Sorry if this doesn't help, I would never guess they'd be different!

I've had to take a break from working on saws, too many other things taking up my time... But I have at least one more Mini Mac and parts to rebuild it!

20240119_100458.jpg

Latest posts

Back