McCulloch Mini and Small CC Chainsaw's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know what your looking for you can find the saws that were macs last run:msp_thumbup:

Hello all,
I just picked up a mcculloch power Mac 320 at a real estate auction for 18 dollars. I don't know much about this saw or any mcculloch saws. Got it home put some fuel it pulled on it four five times and run good. It's dirty and used but in good shape. I do need a bar and chain the bar has a tiny crck in it about midway between the sprocket nose and power head. Anyone know what size chain and bar is common on the power Mac 320. Also can I still get a oem bar for this I would like to keep it original if I can if I can't then what would be the best after market replacement for the bar and chain. Last question what are the saws worth in today's market. Thanks
William

Hello all,
I just picked up a mcculloch power Mac 320 at a real estate auction for 18 dollars. I don't know much about this saw or any mcculloch saws. Got it home put some fuel it pulled on it four five times and run good. It's dirty and used but in good shape. I do need a bar and chain the bar has a tiny crck in it about midway between the sprocket nose and power head. Anyone know what size chain and bar is common on the power Mac 320. Also can I still get a oem bar for this I would like to keep it original if I can if I can't then what would be the best after market replacement for the bar and chain. Last question what are the saws worth in today's market. Thanks
William
Check the Oregon Website:
OREGON® Hand Held Chain Saw Replacement Parts

Looks like .050" gauge, 3/8" pitch, low profile chain, 54 drive links for a 16" bar. Most small engine dealers can get you an Oregon bar/chain combo. Any good saw shop carries this chain. Clean up the saw with a good degreaser. Use a tooth brush and/or scrub brush for the nooks and crannies. Tighten all the machine screws and replace the missing ones.

Good luck!

Check the Oregon Website:
OREGON® Hand Held Chain Saw Replacement Parts

Looks like .050" gauge, 3/8" pitch, low profile chain, 54 drive links for a 16" bar. Most small engine dealers can get you an Oregon bar/chain combo. Any good saw shop carries this chain. Clean up the saw with a good degreaser. Use a tooth brush and/or scrub brush for the nooks and crannies. Tighten all the machine screws and replace the missing ones.

Good luck!

I will check the oregon site Thanks for the info

If you search on Ebay you will find NOS McCulloch bars that will fit your saw. As stated above you will want a .050 gauge bar for 3/8 LP chain. Some bars are labeled "Mini pro".....these fit perfect. They come in 10", 12" 14", 16" up to 18" sizes for that saw. They have an open ended slot in them, its not closed off.

Yes you are a little confused. There are two saws with the 3516 designation - the one you posted a link to is an MC3516 made by Poulan. Husqvarna owns Poulan and had recently purchased the McCulloch name and are selling Poulans rebadged as McCullochs. These saws have vertical cylinders.

The older 3515 had a horizontal cylinder and was a McCulloch. They have no common parts.

..my bad.....but it was a McCulloch 3516 I`m working on...the question was if anyone knew of a better ignition magneto for this saw...and the link was from SEARS and what I gather is a stock replacement for 26 bucks....but after a good cleaning its running so sorry for the confusion...

Wood Doctor I`ll let you know about that one on EBAY...hasn`t got here yet but I`ll give it a good once over....and tell ya what I find

No, but it does remind me of my 3514 a little and sounds exactly the same.

BTW, the Mac 3516 that Overtrained mentioned last week that was posted on E-bay went for $83, ($57 + S&H to my doorstep) but somebody else got it. Seller said he had no idea if it would run after sitting in a basement for 5 years. Apparently, seller could care less. What an idiot! Had he said that it ran, I imagine that saw would have sold for at least another $40 more.

$57 would be great if the shipping wasn't so steep.

$57 would be great if the shipping wasn't so steep.

It is amazing what any chainsaw goes for on ebay. I bought my 3516 for $99 brand new at K-Mart in 2000. Some of these pople selling saws are so lazy they can't even tell you if they will run or not. I love my little 3516, it was a great saw for the money and I have worked the heck out of it and it keeps on running but I would not pay $87 for a used one with no idea what you are getting. These ebay sellers are something else!:bang:

If you search on Ebay you will find NOS McCulloch bars that will fit your saw. As stated above you will want a .050 gauge bar for 3/8 LP chain. Some bars are labeled "Mini pro".....these fit perfect. They come in 10", 12" 14", 16" up to 18" sizes for that saw. They have an open ended slot in them, its not closed off.

Thanks I will check it out. Do you know if this is a good saw to keep or is it one worth selling. I am a newbie when it comes to trees,chainsaws and cutting them up

Thanks I will check it out. Do you know if this is a good saw to keep or is it one worth selling. I am a newbie when it comes to trees,chainsaws and cutting them up

People swear by those power macs and like them way more then the Mini's. If its running good just clean it up and put a nice bar and chain on it, why sell it?

It is amazing what any chainsaw goes for on ebay. I bought my 3516 for $99 brand new at K-Mart in 2000. Some of these pople selling saws are so lazy they can't even tell you if they will run or not. I love my little 3516, it was a great saw for the money and I have worked the heck out of it and it keeps on running but I would not pay $87 for a used one with no idea what you are getting. These ebay sellers are something else!:bang:

Well there is an ass for every seat. We know better but some people either dont care or just dont know any better.

...well I`ve had several of the yellow demons....now my choice is the anti-vibration handle equipped 3516...light enough to fill up a pickup without feeling give out and its now been running 20 years...dollar for dollar it worked for me.....until the other day never a hiccup other than primer bulbs and fuel lines....thought the ing magneto was going bad...still might be I haven`t gave it a good work out since I gave it a tear down cleaning...but it fired right up so we`ll see....got this other one off ebay...it looks new,chain and bar look original,but in dire need of sharpening...flushed fuel tank for insurance.blew the dust off..fresh gas...fired first pull..runs like a champ....sorry Wood Doctor but this one has found a home...only thing this one doesn`t have the anti-vibration handle like the older one has......don`t remember what I paid for my first one,but I`m thinking 175-200 back in the mid to late 90s...sooo 87 bucks was a great deal "if" I get the service I`ve got from the first one....

Last edited:
...well I`ve had several of the yellow demons....now my choice is the anti-vibration handle equipped 3516...light enough to fill up a pickup without feeling give out and its now been running 20 years...dollar for dollar it worked for me.....until the other day never a hiccup other than primer bulbs and fuel lines....thought the ing magneto was going bad...still might be I haven`t gave it a good work out since I gave it a tear down cleaning...but it fired right up so we`ll see....got this other one off ebay...it looks new,chain and bar look original,but in dire need of sharpening...flushed fuel tank for insurance.blew the dust off..fresh gas...fired first pull..runs like a champ....sorry Wood Doctor but this one has found a home...only thing this one doesn`t have the anti-vibration handle like the older one has......don`t remember what I paid for my first one,but I`m thinking 175-200 back in the mid to late 90s...sooo 87 bucks was a great deal "if" I get the service I`ve got from the first one....

In my experience either the coil is band or its good, there is no inbetween. If your spark seems questionable change the spark plug. Also make sure the magnetic contacts on the flywheel are clean, hit it with a scotchbrite pad to remove rust and corrosion. The mag pick up should also be cleaned from any dirt and oil buildup.

These saws are worth $50 easy running. If you flipped it back on ebay you would get your money back. Not a bad investment at all.

I recommend doing a muffler mod and retuning the carb accordingly after the mod's.

Dennnis, all you guys, crack me up. for years I cursed the little yellow demons, my dad owned several and were a major PITA compared to the cheap homelites that we used.
But alas years later, a buddy GAVE me his Mini mac 6, not running but looked great under the buildup of grime from his shop. It took a couple months to get the courage to break it open, and see about making spark. Dusted off the points, bought a used clutch and sprocket, cleaned everything on the inside and did a couple of retakes getting it put back in the case. I wish I had watched Rich Dougan's video first. But, got it done finaly, ran a couple of tanks thru playing with the carb settings, now it starts up good when cold and pulls hard, tho the idle wanders quite a bit. It looks like im tuned a bit rich, checking the spark plug. I'll keep it that way. It drools oil from the tank when sitting overnite, damn, I'll just remember to run it dry, befor parking. Thanks for this thread, and all of the repair tips. DS
PS Now Ive got my eye on a 32cc plastic Mac, Damn you guys.

Dennnis, all you guys, crack me up. for years I cursed the little yellow demons, my dad owned several and were a major PITA compared to the cheap homelites that we used.
But alas years later, a buddy GAVE me his Mini mac 6, not running but looked great under the buildup of grime from his shop. It took a couple months to get the courage to break it open, and see about making spark. Dusted off the points, bought a used clutch and sprocket, cleaned everything on the inside and did a couple of retakes getting it put back in the case. I wish I had watched Rich Dougan's video first. But, got it done finaly, ran a couple of tanks thru playing with the carb settings, now it starts up good when cold and pulls hard, tho the idle wanders quite a bit. It looks like im tuned a bit rich, checking the spark plug. I'll keep it that way. It drools oil from the tank when sitting overnite, damn, I'll just remember to run it dry, befor parking. Thanks for this thread, and all of the repair tips. DS
PS Now Ive got my eye on a 32cc plastic Mac, Damn you guys.

lol you've been bit by the small saw bug.....enjoy.:jester:

In my experience either the coil is band or its good, there is no inbetween. If your spark seems questionable change the spark plug. Also make sure the magnetic contacts on the flywheel are clean, hit it with a scotchbrite pad to remove rust and corrosion. The mag pick up should also be cleaned from any dirt and oil buildup.

These saws are worth $50 easy running. If you flipped it back on ebay you would get your money back. Not a bad investment at all.

I recommend doing a muffler mod and retuning the carb accordingly after the mod's.

...thanks...but its found a home...yeah did the muffler mod today,does seem to to really jump now....for what it is
cc for cc I`d like to see a comparison...father has a husky,in-law has a couple Homelites and a Echo..,imhho,not swayed.. but I keep fresh sharp chains and that for me makes the difference...but would like to toy around porting and raising the compression as a project...

Im willing to bet it will hold its own against a brand name saw. I dont think it will be faster stock but im willing to bet its as durable if not more. If you do some more mods post some pics!

Back