McCulloch PM-340 clutch replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up this saw used and the clutch isn't disengaging because the spring in the clutch is broken. That makes it dangerous to use, so I would like to fix it up. I removed the clutch cover. The clutch in this model had a spring wrapped around the circumferance of the clutch assembly. The spring is snapped at one end where it should have an eyelet. So the spring is not doing a good job of retracting the shoes at low rpms.

Where can I buy a new clutch or new spring for this clutch?

How do I get the clutch off the crankshaft? Is it threaded on? Are there threads in the clutch hub? It doesn't seem to want to come loose and there's not a good way to graps the hub. I have removed the cover which had a left hand thread nut holding the cover down.

Are these clutches and hubs generic items? This saw is .375 pitch, 16" bar, low profile chain, #91.

Well, I got the clutch off eventually. It is on a tapered shaft I think. I found a guy on ebay who says he had the right part. I'll know in a few days when it arrives. The nut was LH threaded. I hope I didn't hurt things tightening the wrong direction with the imact wrench.

What worked to get the clutch off the shaft; I stuffed a strip of cut cloth into the plug hole to lock the piston. Then I tried to unscrew the clutch, using an open end wrench as a spanner. The clutch popped off the shaft. Hopefully, I'll be good to go in a few days.

Back