Mcculloch Pro Mac 800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Degull

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Working on my Dad's old Pro Mac 800. I have a little experience with chainsaws and I was wondering if anyone can confirm my findings.

1)The saw is not firing. Checked the on/off switch and it works properly opening and closing circuit to case ground. The ignition coil looks like it's no good. There are two wire terminals on the ignition coil. One says SW going to the on/off switch and the other is GND going to case ground. These two terminals are shorted together all the time. If you disconnect the two wires, the terminals are still shorted. Since the on/off switch provides a ground to the SW terminal of the ignition coil (when it's selected off), I can safely assume that my ignition coil will never work because the SW terminal is internally shorted to the GND terminal.

2)Anyone know where I can find a replacement ignition coil for this Pro Mac 800? I checked Ebay and no luck. Is there any other compatible model I can rob from? It's in sweet shape, hate to see it rot because I can't find a part. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have that coil, I have a PM 850 in a box and I'll check for it tomorrow.

Hi everyone. Working on my Dad's old Pro Mac 800. I have a little experience with chainsaws and I was wondering if anyone can confirm my findings.

1)The saw is not firing. Checked the on/off switch and it works properly opening and closing circuit to case ground. The ignition coil looks like it's no good. There are two wire terminals on the ignition coil. One says SW going to the on/off switch and the other is GND going to case ground. These two terminals are shorted together all the time. If you disconnect the two wires, the terminals are still shorted. Since the on/off switch provides a ground to the SW terminal of the ignition coil (when it's selected off), I can safely assume that my ignition coil will never work because the SW terminal is internally shorted to the GND terminal.

2)Anyone know where I can find a replacement ignition coil for this Pro Mac 800? I checked Ebay and no luck. Is there any other compatible model I can rob from? It's in sweet shape, hate to see it rot because I can't find a part. Thanks in advance.

can you take a photo of that coil and post it

Those are pictures of the coil off my Dad's saw, I just took a picture of it. When you say expensive, how bad is it?

The ignition coil is just that, actually two coils of wire; a primary and a secondary.

You are measuring (I assume) the resistance between the two terminals on the primary side which would normally be very low resistance. Try measuring the resistance bewteen the plug lead and the ground, should be several thousand ohms (2-4K is typical).

If lawnmowertech can't set up up with a coil, try Pes+, he was able to find a CDI coil for my EB2318 very reasonably priced.

Mark

I'm pretty sure I have that coil, I have a PM 850 in a box and I'll check for it tomorrow.

biker since these coils are hard to find and if you have one laying around it might be wise to hold on to it for your saws cause im afraid that they are becoming extinct on the coils that is i have checked alot of places around the country and none have it but i did find someone that does have at least 4 so if i were you i would not get rid of the one you may have cause it looks like they are gold now since there is very few in production and i mean very few

that particular coil fits more than the pm800 series it fits many 10-10 series etc.

Last edited:
LOL, does it look like the one in the ebay auction? If so I'll take it as well. Let me know so I can get a payment off to you. Thanks.

i want you to read this what someone wrote on my testimonial page on my site i am kind of surprised on what they said

Calvin got me the exact part that I needed to keep my 25 year old chainsaw running.It took several emails to make sure that I was getting the correct part.Received it today and it's just what I needed. Funny that other parts suppliers charging much more would not take the time to help me out....I'm hooked on CM.

I pm'd you. Thanks so much for the help. My Dad was told that the saw could not be fixed because parts were no longer available. I'm sure the local repairman could not be bothered trying to source parts.

I don't know. How can you can tell if it has points?

Look and see if there are wires coming from behind the flywheel. If there are, it is the points/condenser wiring. MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE POINTS BEFORE YOU ORDER A NEW COIL!!!!! I buy alot of old saws that "need a coil" only to clean/adjust the points, and have a nice runner. You are wasting your money and a perfectly good (and rare) PM800 coil if this one has points on it.

Well I looked and I do have a coil but if Calvin can hook you up then go for it. Just for future reference, it is the same coil as a pro mac 610 coil but with a shorter plug wire. I actually have half a dozen pm 610 coils and they ohm out the same as the pm 850 coil and have the exact same mount and wiring terminals.

Look and see if there are wires coming from behind the flywheel. If there are, it is the points/condenser wiring. MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT HAVE POINTS BEFORE YOU ORDER A NEW COIL!!!!! I buy alot of old saws that "need a coil" only to clean/adjust the points, and have a nice runner. You are wasting your money and a perfectly good (and rare) PM800 coil if this one has points on it.

200 i looked at the ipl for the pm 800 and it shows no pts but he can check to make sure

Latest posts

Back