McCulloch super 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_Campbell

Reaction score
I have a mcculloch super 250 thats in good condition except for the chain bar, i want to convert it to a 3/8 chain. is there anyone out there who has done it and can tel me what bar and sprokets i need?

There are spline/rim type clutch drums available, generally you can find them for auction on e-Bay but it never hurts to check with old McCulloch dealers as well. Others like cheapchainsawparts will have good used ones from time to time if you check his e-Bay store. I bought some new ones from a place called Li'l Red Barn in the U.S. state of Virginia but that may not be quite as convenient for you.

With the new drum, all you need to do then is get a 3/8" rim sprocket and a chain with drivers (gauge) that match your bar. I don't know if there are any manufacturers producing new bars to fit the old McCulloch saws but there are plenty of good used bars around. It will be difficult to find an original McCulloch bar with a 3/8 sprocket in the nose but there are some new bars for Stihl saws that will fit though the 3/8" bar studs in the McCulloch are slightly smaller than the 10 mm studs on the Stihl. Oregon also produced a lot of bars to fit old McCulloch saws and most of those would have a replaceable nose if you wanted to change to a 3/8" sprocket.

For what it's worth, the bars from virtually any old McCulloch saw from the D-30/D-44 series all the way up through the SP125 will work on the Super 250.

Hopefully some of the guys "down under" will chime in and get you pointed in the right direction.

Mark

Latest posts

Back