McCulloch Timerbear Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowdooer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a McCulloch Timerbear saw that never seems to start and when it does, it doesn't run for long. I recently replaced it with a Husky 455 and love the new saw, but I'd like to get the Timerbear running as a back-up.

Here's the problem:

When I can get it to start, it runs for a while then quits. After several starts, it won't fire again. I pulled it apart and the wire coming from the kill switch is tied to ground at the ignition module. I'm assuming the module has gone bad, but I want to make sure before I go and try to find one (if I can).

Any thoughts?

Wellll.... first off, pull the fuel filter up outta the tank and replace it.... if you don't have or can't get a replacement filter easily, blow back through the filter with compressed air and swish it around in a little clean gas and do it again.... then drain all the fuel from the tank.... rinse it some.... and put in fresh fuel and filter.... Try that first....

Actually, I tried all that yesterday. I cleaned the air filter and fuel filter. Check the carb adjustments and put in a new plug. I also drained the tank and put in fresh fuel.

The saw started right up and ran fine for about 5 minutes. That's when it decided to quit and hasn't started since.

have you done the basic checks? are you sure you are getting spark to the plug after it starts doing this? are you sure you are getting fuel to it? I would start with spark first and see if you are getting that when this is happening after that I would go for the fuel system, how long has it been sense a carb overhaul?

Definitely getting fuel. The plug is soaked...

I checked for spark, but didn't get any. I'm assuming it is because the on/off switch wire is grounded. I checked the wire going from the switch to the coil and it seems to be ok, which is why I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the coil.

In the past, if I'm using the saw and it runs out of fuel, I cannot get it to re-start on that plug. I have to put a new one in it and it would fire right up. Now that's not the case, it just won't fire at all.

I'm going from memory, but IIRR one lead from the coil is attached to the crankcase for a ground. The other lead is the one going to the kill switch.

Here's where I get my Mac parts:

http://www.fayettevilleequipment.com/

I've also seen the small duckbill vents in the gas cap get gummy & not open up.

Thanks for the Mac link mbopp, I didn't think I would ever find a source for my old yeller saw (PM 610). She's old and sick so now maybe I can bring her back to life and resort to using this green and purple saw for a pencil sharpener. Oh I'm so excited I gotta go clean out my drawers.
:blob2: :blob2: :biggrinbounce2: :rockn:

Thanks for everyone's help. I removed the kill switch wire from the saw last night and PRESTO! the saw runs great.:rock: Now I just choke it to shut it off and it restarts within 2 pulls.

I can't believe I have been battling a frayed wire for the last 10 years.....

Latest posts

Back