McCullogh pm 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got the saw yesterday. Very cheap. It has some small problems but runs. question, Is the sprocket nut a reverse thread or how do I get the ???? thing off? The chain is stuck under it due to bent parts on the protector plate thing and I would like to straighten them out a bit.

Is there a web site on how to service this thing or where i can find info out about repairing it.

Greg

Yes, it is threaded backwards.

There was fairly recent thread here re removing clutches & flywheels. Do a search, & you should find lots of good info.
Good luck.

Chris J.

On your saw, you have a reversed thread on the clutch side, and normal threads on the flywheel nut.

for stopping the crankshaft from turning, take the spark plug out, and pull the starter cord slowly, so that the piston is nearly at the top of its stroke, but just before that, then put a piece of starter rope, or other non fraying rope into the spark plug hole, to keep the piston from moving. then you are free to take a wrench, though I prefer a ratchet, with a socket, 9/16" I believe. and remove the nut on the clutch shoe assembly, then the clutch should just slide right off the shaft. followed by the drum, which will be either a rim or spur sprocket. those little metal guards on the saw are quite important, if you dont want sawdust packed all though the cylinder cooling fins.

Sorry this is so long, I'm trying to be helpful, but my methods are better demonstrated than written.

thanks guys, info was helpful. I had the thought of this being reverse threads from a previous thread but wasn't sure. I will try that.

Greg

It has a large nut holding the clutch onto a tapered shaft, so it
may not neccessarily be l.h. threads, I cannot remember, so
proceed with common sense.
I can check tomorrow, as I have one in my shop.

610,eh

That is a common problem,if running a loose chain,and derailing,on that saw.It snags the sheetmetal,that serves to keep the chips from the cylinder.Most McCullochs have the direction,in the form of an arrow,on the clutch nut,if it is the original nut.IF you hit a snag,give me a shout,I worked on 6 or 7 of them,last year.

I loved the PM 610, given the fact that you couldnt put a 3/8x8 tooth rim on one, due to the small spline configuration, but its still a very rugged and nice model.

I used to have one that started on the 1st or 2nd pull EVERY time. and I got it used.

Reliability is one thing I've learnd to expect from the PM 610, besides the fuel consumption, its a thouroghly sound design. I wish I hadnt ebayed mine.

Found out why the chain comes loose, tensioner is bent or not working correctly. i get it in the hole but it wont stay there while cutting. (that sounds awfully personal)

It is running a 3/8 chain (i think) Carlton with A1 on the raker, and the bar is an Oregon (canada) replaceable nose with 8702 GJN, 208, h009 I couldn't find much about what exactly this stuff is, didn't look long though.

Can anyone tell me if I am close and what size chain it would take? (.50, .58 whatever)

Havn't gotten to pulling clutch, worked on the bar, it was fairly beat up. thanks for the new info.

Greg

3/8" chain

These saws ,from the factory,had either a 16" bar,or 20".The chain size,is .375 by .050.A 16" would be 60 drive llinks,a 20" is 70 drive links.I have heard of,but never seen,that some of the early ones used an odd ball .357 chain.The bars for that saw are fairly inexpensive,as is the chain.If the bar is getting loose,you are not getting the bar nuts tight,or they have stripped threads,near the bar.If this is the case,a simple fix is simpley putting a flat washer,or 2 between the bar and nut so you get full thread engagement on good threads.If you didn't already know it,all the bolts,nuts etc, on that saw are metric.

I had one Mac 5 I bought 2000, it had .375 on it as standard.
The dealer here could not get chain or parts unless it was warrante.
All dealers are not like him.

Mange

I have the Mc 610. Got owners manual and general service information Specifications (complete break down on 600 series saws) from a friend in Ca. Cost $9.00 with shipping. I was glad to pay that for what I got. I have Never met him. He has been as honest and fair in all his dealings with me. I will b glad to give his e-mail address.

JR

All 610s I ever seen had 3/8ths by .050 chain.

The saws ran pretty good for that price/class of saw, and they were fairly reliable.

The negative is, they were boxy and did not have very good handling qualities.

These feelings towards the PM 610 have me confounded. I worked on one once and I never want to see one again. Without a doubt, the ugliest saw I have ever laid eyes on. And like Tony said, it doesn't handle very well.

I would never take one if was offered to me for free.

That's all I can say from personal experience.

Later, Chris B.

Chris, it was given to me free. It does start easy and runs well and has a 20" bar. It will be good enough for a second saw. I only cut firewood, and the 025 is the only other saw I have.

I have learned alot from this site, thanks for all the help everyone.

Greg

Ugly!

Now,now just because they don't sport that snazzy orange a white paint,and run at 12,00 rpm ,means they are ugly. Why,beauty is in the eye of the beholder,but,I guess ugly runs to the bone.;)

I got it sort of torn apart. as far as I am going to go. I cleaned out the fins, even took off the gas tank and it was packed tight with crap under there.

I think this bar is incorrect, too big, The oil hole is above where the oil comes out. What 20" bar would this thing take? Does anyone know the numbers or size? Cant seem to find it anywhere on the web.

I also think the chain tensioner is incorrect, It did not stay in the bar hole when I tightened it. It wiggles and pushed down out of the hole, even after the bar nuts are tight. I think a bigger washer on one end will do the trick, i may have to grind it a little to fit.

muffler or spark arrestor missing. parts are cut out. It blows right into the fins of the saw.

protector plate under clutch/sprocket is all ripped up from the chain. I will need a new one of those.

Clutch question, A metal piece that goes inside the spring like a guide is broken/missing one one side. How important is this part?

Greg

Good old 610

That saw takes the same bar [16" or 20 "]as the "10" series McCulloch saws.

pm 610

I got one like new condition for free it sat in my mother in laws garage for years original mac 20 " bar and chain was like new it just needed touching up , it cuts great and has enough power I put it to work on an elm butt log and stump that i took down , it was about 30 " on the stump and 65 ' tall . I used it just to give it some run time as I have 5 other mint saws . the only draw backs are boxy , heavyer than a dead minister and butt ugly , aside from that i"ll take my fleet of huskys on the road but really not a thing wrong with them . keep the bar tip greased, clean the bar groove out regularly and the chain sharp , air filter clean etc and you should get ok results.

Pm 610

It doesn't have to be pretty to cut wood and the 610 cuts wood pretty well. As far as the handling, I've owned several different makes of saws over the last 40 years and the 610 doesn't stand out as being the best or the worst.

Latest posts

Back