Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking for a specific shop manual: go to FIND, use the pull-down for the model (ms880 in this case), then use the second pull-down for Workshop Manuals, hit Start search.

View attachment 239202
239202d1337808593-mcat-screen-shot-jpg

Last edited:
If you're looking for a specific shop manual: go to FIND, use the pull-down for the model (ms880 in this case), then use the second pull-down for Workshop Manuals, hit Start search.

I'm realizing that shop manuals aren't necessarily included for every model of saw. There's one for an 026, but not an 044?

attachment.php

Thank gawd for the folks over at the "Beg" thread, tho I often see stuff from there with a mediaCAT watermark in the background that doesn't seem to be available in the version I have. I'm guessing it's due to lack of legitimacy/no license and omitted updates over time with the chainletter versions?

No big deal. It IS a freebie version of mediaCAT, but I figured it was a bit more inclusive than what I've found it to be. The IPL's themselves are great to have.

Poge

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly how this works, but my CD is outdated and doesn't allow access to newer models and some earlier models. If someone would put my name on The List I'd appreciate it. I have something interesting to share in return ;).

I'm realizing that shop manuals aren't necessarily included for every model of saw. There's one for an 026, but not an 044?

See the MS440. There are several instances where the newer manual supercedes the older. All the old info should be there, they usually hot link to a Tech bulletin for differences.

I'm not sure exactly how this works, but my CD is outdated and doesn't allow access to newer models and some earlier models. If someone would put my name on The List I'd appreciate it. I have something interesting to share in return ;).

What version are you trying to run? Mungushume posted a date fix in one of his threads.

Here's the date fix info:

Ok lads
I've worked out a way to reset the protection on mediaCAT v3.27 (Stihl mediaCAT SCS 02-2009)
Currently if you try and run the software with todays date it will lock the software even if you set your date back to a period when it should have worked.

To apply the fix you need to edit the windows registry. CAUTION. If you don't know what you're doing this can be dangerous to the health of your computer!

Attached to this post there's a zip file that contains a .reg file with the following content
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\windows]
"Queue access"=dword:00000000

If you run this file i.e. merge it with the registry it will reset the lockout.
Let me know how you get a long
I may even build a loader.exe if there's enough interest
regards
mh

*** Update ***
The attached zip file now includes loader.exe.
Copy this to the install directory (normally C:\Program Files\eVision\mediaCAT) and run it.
Now when you load expired versions of MediaCat it automatically changes the system date, removes the expired protection then runs the program. When MediaCat exits the system time is reverted.
Hope this helps
mh
:msp_thumbsup:
View attachment 191485

MMMMMMMMnnnnnn...

Nice AAAAVVVVAAATTar.....

I am glad one of the computer gurus came on to help, as I just discovered "right-click" on my mouse here recently, I also discovered Bing Videos Unfiltered......

Well guys, I have been coming here a little bit here and there for probably a year or two now, mostly by googling for various STIHL information. Lately, I am trying to be more self sufficient by learning to repair more of my own equipment right here in our own shop. Not only for the cost savings, but also because of the down time is less. As you all probably know, we can find info online for KOHLER (and other mfr.) engines, service and parts manuals, etc. but we all know the story with the STIHL stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge STIHL fan, I bought my first STIHL stick edger and backpack blower in 1995 when I started my business (I borrowed a friend's line trimmer :)) and never looked back. Now years later I own dozens of pieces of STIHL equipment. I think they make a fine product; I just wish they would make it a little easier to look up parts, etc. online... but anyway...

So finally today, I was trying to find some parts lookups and it eventually led me to this thread, which prompted me to finally register, so I could post here. Sorry to make my first post one asking for something :bowdown: :D but wow what an incredibly useful resource this Catalog would appear to be! My understanding is that it contains shop manuals, service bulletins, as well as parts breakouts. Does it contain all STIHL products, or just chainsaws (I need it mostly for everything other than chainsaws: line trimmers, edgers, blowers, etc.)? And it contains info on old as well as newer models? If yes on both counts, please pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top add me to the list! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

In return, I promise to be a good member, and come back and contribute (as time allows of course; maybe not as much in the height of summer grass growing / rainy season here in Sunny FL ;)). In fact, one of the first things I may try to help out with is the following: Is there some particular reason these CD(DVD?)s are being circulated by postal mail? Because there exist tools to transfer them electronically as well as mount them on your computer (just like a CD/DVD), without having to actually have the physical media. Besides being a landscape contractor, I am a bit of a computer geek on the side, and this is something I would be happy to help out with, should there be an interest. The tools I am referring to are free and easy to use. If everyone here has a computer and an internet connection, why burn CDs and mail them through the mail? Or maybe the OP (and those on this site) prefer it this way? It is kind of fun, like a chain letter I suppose... although the same could still be done electronically... just my $0.02! Please forgive my ignorance if I have missed something, my only intention is to help out, I don't mean to intrude or step on anyone's toes, especially as a brand new member to the site!

Last edited:
this thread started with a copy that you had to remember to turn the date back before using the program. A few of our resident computer
guys, who I won't name, produced some of the latest versions with no time/date restrictions, which got subbed into the chain letter.

then a fellow put the files up somewhere online, which I assume was shut down by Stihl, as they have many lawyers and a lot of money.

with this setup, there are no records, no one transmitting protected material over the internet, no one profiting from it, etc.

If anyone else wants to try any other method, go for it, but set it up on a seperate thread, I am assuming that this thread is still going,
because of the reasons stated above.

Fish,

Thanks for the background info. I figured there was some reason.

PJF1313,

I sent you a PM, then another as I realized the following (see below):

To PJF1313 (and everyone else),

Actually, I just googled for "mediacat torrent" and found my way to another thread on this site: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/177018.htm. I think maybe that was the thread you were referring to Fish?

Just to report back to any interested parties, it looks like all the hosted files have in fact been taken down, but the torrent in that thread appears to still be available (I'm downloading it as we speak). It says it contains the following:

Quarter 1, 2010 Stihl Spare Parts Lists, Technical Information, Workshop Manuals, Catalogues and Manuals.
mediaCAT v3.29 (Stihl mediaCAT SCS 01-2010)

Is that what is most currently available?

Man, I am so excited to be on the brink of being able to look up part numbers, etc. here in a little bit, even though it's after 5 and my local dealer is closed. :D I need a carb (or maybe a kit) for an FS 80R line trimmer, and the x-ref from Zama is showing (4) different carbs for that one! I am hoping that the Mediacat can do better...

Well guys, I have been coming here a little bit here and there for probably a year or two now, mostly by googling for various STIHL information. Lately, I am trying to be more self sufficient by learning to repair more of my own equipment right here in our own shop. Not only for the cost savings, but also because of the down time is less. As you all probably know, we can find info online for KOHLER (and other mfr.) engines, service and parts manuals, etc. but we all know the story with the STIHL stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge STIHL fan, I bought my first STIHL stick edger and backpack blower in 1995 when I started my business (I borrowed a friend's line trimmer :)) and never looked back. Now years later I own dozens of pieces of STIHL equipment. I think they make a fine product; I just wish they would make it a little easier to look up parts, etc. online... but anyway...

So finally today, I was trying to find some parts lookups and it eventually led me to this thread, which prompted me to finally register, so I could post here. Sorry to make my first post one asking for something :bowdown: :D but wow what an incredibly useful resource this Catalog would appear to be! My understanding is that it contains shop manuals, service bulletins, as well as parts breakouts. Does it contain all STIHL products, or just chainsaws (I need it mostly for everything other than chainsaws: line trimmers, edgers, blowers, etc.)? And it contains info on old as well as newer models? If yes on both counts, please pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top add me to the list! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

In return, I promise to be a good member, and come back and contribute (as time allows of course; maybe not as much in the height of summer grass growing / rainy season here in Sunny FL ;)). In fact, one of the first things I may try to help out with is the following: Is there some particular reason these CD(DVD?)s are being circulated by postal mail? Because there exist tools to transfer them electronically as well as mount them on your computer (just like a CD/DVD), without having to actually have the physical media. Besides being a landscape contractor, I am a bit of a computer geek on the side, and this is something I would be happy to help out with, should there be an interest. The tools I am referring to are free and easy to use. If everyone here has a computer and an internet connection, why burn CDs and mail them through the mail? Or maybe the OP (and those on this site) prefer it this way? It is kind of fun, like a chain letter I suppose... although the same could still be done electronically... just my $0.02! Please forgive my ignorance if I have missed something, my only intention is to help out, I don't mean to intrude or step on anyone's toes, especially as a brand new member to the site!

PM Sent

I want to thank the member (I'll follow the No Names policy :taped:, he can post if he so desires) who mailed the item to me.

I have a CD that covers just about every piece of equipment (mowers, tillers, buttwipers, tractors, etc.), not just two-cycle, made or rebadged by a certain company in Sweden. I don't remember the CD being date limited, but I haven't used it in quite a while. I can try to copy it, or better yet if someone here with better computer skills wants to see what they can do with it ;) send a PM.

Back