Mercury QuickSilver 2cycle oil ok for chainsaw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenacrewoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 22 Quarts of Mercurys QiuckSilver Premium Outboard 2cycle oil and
was wondering if it would be ok to use in the new chainsaw I'm buying.
I've been using this oil in my Ryobi 725 weedeater and old 240 Homelite
saw for about 3yrs with no problem,but I read (I think on Here) that you
shouldn't use outboard 2cycle oil in Chainsaws!! WHY??? :confused:

Thanks
Mike E.

oil meant for outboards is best in a water cooled engine like those outboards. our saws run a LOT hotter being air cooled. i would NOT run it in any saw of mine. you will probly end up with deposits all over and possible piston scuffing. they work super, in their intended water cooled engine purpose.
i tried some of my Johnson/evinrude oil in an old saw i had.. it ran but after 2 tanks there was more scuffing of the piston than there was before.

I'll explain this the way I understand it, anyone else *please* correct me if I'm wrong.

The main difference is air cooled engine oil vs. water cooled engine oil. An air cooled engine runs much warmer, and a water cooled engine much cooler. Oil meant for a water cooled engine will burn up in an air cooled engine without providing proper lubrication. Oil meant for an air cooled engine won't burn completely or cleanly in the lower temperatures found in a water cooled engine, leading to deposits and wear.

tenacrewoods said:
Thanks Guys I'll give oil to my Nephew since I just sold him my boat. :cry:

Mike E.

Good call!

I'm pretty sure your new saw's manual will specifically state that TCW-3 oils are not to be used. Most saw manuals can be found online.

I ran TCWII oils in my saws for severla years and had no problems-My saw mechanic actually recommended running PennZoil 2 cycle TCWII and ran it in his own saws when he had crews working on forest thinning operations. Some TCWII (and now III) oils say they are approved for aircooled use and some don't. In any case-I now am a Synthetic (Mobil Racing 2T ) user and am convinced that using the very best aircooled 2 cycle oils has merit. ---But I would not be terrified of your outboard oil.

Justin Scott...I just now noticed your avatar...are those bagpipes and is he wearing a kilt? Are you a piper?

Brad, Sorry but- no. JPS gave me that avatar and the "one man band" designation a long time ago and I like it. I love to listen to the pipes but have NO idea how to play them. I play a little guitar-badly.

Use the quicksilver in your boat and get some good aircooled oil for your saws. Two cycle oil is pretty cheap so why not use the right stuff?

Latest posts

Back