Metal detectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been following this forum for a few weeks now and have gleaned a great deal of valuable information during my visits. I am new to milling and have just invested in an Alaskan small Log Mill and purchased a new Stihl 72cc chain saw with 20" bar. I have already milled a small amount of lumber. However, on my first outing I found the dreaded nail that most probably entered the tree about 20 years ago. I have a small metal detector which has rolled over and put it's legs in the air. Before investing in a new one I would like to find out what others are using and how happy thay are with their particular device. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AS! First batch and found a nail huh? Stinks. Then again you didn't mention actually hitting the nail, so maybe you made out OK?

I actually have been braving it so far with out a detector. Know I should get one though. There are a couple pretty inexpensive ones on HF last time I checked. Not sure of anyone uses any of them on here that can provide a review? I would like to know if the security wand one works...that would certainly be the most portable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43149
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43150
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94138

Hi Bob,

I have one of These. It's very sensitive and can detect a vertical paper staple under 3mm of wood, a vertical 2" nail under about 2" of wood. It's my understanding that is uses the exact same circuitry as used in some of those larger wandlike metal detectors as used by security guards etc. Those detectors have a few extra stickers on them and cost twice the price.

I have mainly used it for finding nails in salvaged timber that I put through my thicknesser. It's found at least 3 nails I did not see so I figure it has already paid for itself I have not found anything yet in any logs but I also have not hit any nails yet either. My guess is its gonna come in handy when I see stains in wood and hopefully can use the detector to suss out whether there is anything associated with these stains. So far so good.

The other thing we have used it for was to look for a great aunt's wedding ring she lost while baking party cakes - we didn't find it, some cakes already had been eaten - gulp!

Cheers

Last edited:
Metal detector

I have the expensive version of the Centech detector, above, cost about $95 a couple of years ago, works well. My experience with HF is that they copy things very well, if that one had been available when I bought mine, I would have bought the HF model!:blob2: :blob2:

Metal detector

I think that's what I have. Might have a roman numeral thrown in, too, but still misses some stuff. Generally I scan if I have any suspicion of metal, such as a stain or smell. Last things I found were a ceramic insulator, and about 25 22 cal bullets in 2 different trees. I still think the HF one would work about as good, for $30, how bad could it be.:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back