Metal in logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey v

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am concerned with hitting nails, etc, in logs that I am milling with an Alaskan Mill. What if anything can be done to lessen the liklihood of this? Never mill the butt section of a suspicious tree? What damage can a nail do to the saw chain? To the mill operator?

Thanks casey

From the 200 plus cords of wood I have bucked and plit from tree guys dropping of at my house I can say I have hit 2 nails so far. If you look at the log you'll generally see if a nail, spike, cable or clothsline hook was in the tree from the bark seaming over it. There's a post on the chainsaw forum where a guy cut through a railroad spike :)

Become a good filer and you won't have to worry about your chain.

I have heard that debarking the tree can help to spot areas that might have embedded metal.

I bought and use a mid grade metal detector ($109) and it has saved me several times already. Only bad part is that you get going, get milling, scan the log, and then go to work, and forget to keep checking. I have found tramp metal deep in some yard trees, that did not get picked up by initial scaning, which only goes down 5-8 inches or so. With the 395XP on the Alaskan mill, its just a matter of a few minutes sharpening when I hit a nail, but with my Ripsaw, it means my bandsaw blade is toast... finis.

Thanks All,

I am new to milling and am concerned about doing damage to myself and my equipment. My brother is having five Doug Firs taken out of his back yard. The faller will take the tops out and fall the last 40 feet as a log. I will be milling the trunks. My brother says he hasn't hammered any nails into the trees, but you don't know what the previous owners did. I will be milling the wood into mostly 2x4 for the construction of a wood drying shed. I already have more than enough W. Red Cedar for the siding and the roof.

Thanks Mike

You wont hurt yourself normally. I have never heard of someone getting hurt by hitting a nail in a cut.

Your chain will need to be filed, thats about it.

Back