metal lathe?? Is it useful for saw work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a mini grinder holder I made up tonight.

Took a couple hours to get it bored out an milled to shape, but should work well for putting final dimentions on things.

$850 for a broken down oddball? na... much better to spend more on a complete lathe you can get parts for - it will be much cheaper..

there's a 10 inch a logan on seattle CL today.....

Thanks Lake I was thinking just that. The guys says it all works but the feed. But anyway, I will pass on it. I saw that 10" but, a little far away from me. I would have to take a ferry, then worry about customs then back and on the ferry again. A day trip for a lathe??? Naaaaa. I'll keep on the lookout around here.

Here is a mini grinder holder I made up tonight.

Took a couple hours to get it bored out an milled to shape, but should work well for putting final dimentions on things.

Nice....

I got a great deal (like $300...) on a Dumore 44 Tool post grinder.... like new...

Here's my 12x30 Turnmaster...

orig.jpg

I had a customer friend trade it to me for harvesting and sawmilling some logs for him..

I run it with a 7.5 hp rotary phase converter, and it works very good!

standard.jpg

Also, the RPC allows me to pick up cheap 3 phase motors and use them for other things...

If you buy a RPC, don't buy one too small!! If you do, you will out grow it very fast!

Rob

I have been running my BP mill and my lathes and my sand muller and a few other machines all on RPC power for over 15 years now and have yet to have a problem. I may ponly have a 3 hp RPC but each other machine that it is powering adds to the toal hp that is runable by the RPC so it just multiplies so what started off as a 3 hp to run my most often used items (Lathe and mill) it does it very efficieintly. If I need to run a few batches of sand though my muller (5hp) I fire up the BP mill or lathe and that gives me sufficient power to run my muller. If anyone is interested I have plans for a good RPC built on a 3 hp motor, nbut its easy to upsize it in regards to start and run caps to kick off the idler motor to make it larger. I used a 3 hp as its what I had laying around when the need arose for a converter, and its never left me down in all these years.

Back