Metal Twist Drill Bits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is true, We did have a 3/4” chuck corded Milwaukee that only turned 550 rpm vs the 850 rpm for the 1/2” setup. The bigger drill was also threaded on top to take a pipe bender handle. You needed that with a bigger bit on thicker steel because you couldn’t stall that sucker.
A perfect reason for a magdrill, the milwaukee is variable in 2 speed ranges 0-250 and 0-500, its major drawback is its 75lb weight. Sometimes it takes two people 5 minutes to get it lined up for a 30 second hole. I have a smaller, lighter, evolution mag drill but it doesn't have enough stroke to run the bigger standard bits without blocking it up, so I leave it set up with the 3/4" weldon arbor for annular cutters, no matter what you do, there is always someplace you cant use what you have.

A perfect reason for a magdrill, the milwaukee is variable in 2 speed ranges 0-250 and 0-500, its major drawback is its 75lb weight. Sometimes it takes two people 5 minutes to get it lined up for a 30 second hole. I have a smaller, lighter, evolution mag drill but it doesn't have enough stroke to run the bigger standard bits without blocking it up, so I leave it set up with the 3/4" weldon arbor for annular cutters, no matter what you do, there is always someplace you cant use what you have.
I have three sets of Lawson drill bits that I’ve had for over 30 years. Sure they need sharpened once in a while but if you use PB Blaster as a cutting fluid they’ll stay sharp for a much longer time. I sharpen all my bits including my numbered and A-Z bits by hand on a fine wheel on my grinder

I have three sets of Lawson drill bits that I’ve had for over 30 years. Sure they need sharpened once in a while but if you use PB Blaster as a cutting fluid they’ll stay sharp for a much longer time. I sharpen all my bits including my numbered and A-Z bits by hand on a fine wheel on my grinder
Blaster does work fairly well as a cutting fluid. I don't know if I have ever used a Lawson drill bit, I built trailers for a while and Lawson supplied the bolt bins there and they were certainly better quality than the average. I never saw anything from them that wasn't good quality.

Latest posts

Back