Metal vs. plastic fuel cans.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both metal and plastic and prefer the metal just on a durability standpoint but I do have about a half dozen EPA jugs and one none EPA spout that makes its way onto them when it's time to pour. If for some reason anyone is stuck on using a plastic jug with non EPA spout, there are plenty of the spouts on eBay. There is also the race fuel jugs (non epa) you can get from jegs, summit racing, eBay, etc. easy to fill, easy to pour and you can even get an inline valve on the pour hose to open, close, or adjust your flow rate.

And since we are on the subject of fuel and cans, can somebody please explain to me why there are 2.5 gallon mixes but not 2.5 gallon jugs easily obtainable? I get that you could pour 2 of the 2.5 mixes and make 5 gallons of mix, but why still have 5 gallon mixes? And I don't think I've ever seen 2 gallon mixes for sale other than online. I don't know why I'm bothered by this, but I just am.

Last edited:
fuel cans

i actually like the the ones that have no spill spouts for filling my saws and gas tank on my boat. especially for the saws when the gas can is full. other than those two, ive got rid of the "no spill" spouts on all the others. actually fount replacement flexy spouts with the pop top vents. got sick of drilling holes in the cans to vent em and putting screws in em to seal

Instead of using screws to close your vent holes, try this. Get a tubeless tire valve, remove the stem, drill the vent hole to match the size of the "groove" in the valve, & install it! It works very well in metal or plastic. You can put a little silicone sealant around the rim if it makes you more comfortable, but it is not really necessary.

I just get a new plastic fuel jug every year or second year

Like what has been said in this thread; I've used plastic fuel jugs for racing since early 80's and seen what happens to them (every year they were replaced)

For years I used the cheap red plastic jugs. Take them out for use and put it under a shade tree, and come back an hour later to see that the sun found it and it's blown up like a balloon. So now the jug is warm, and I put it back in the shed only to find it shriveled like a prune when I next see it.

I found a round 2-1/2 gallon metal can at a garage sale for $5 and loved it so much I started scrounging ebay. They can be had for $10 and a few bucks for shipping which is cheaper than the 30-50 bucks you will pay for a new metal can. 20-30 year old gas cans that have not rusted tells me that using metal is possible, just avoid storing them on the ground or moist surfaces.

I found local gas stations that sell ethanol free, so for now I don't have to worry about that problem with my metal cans.

I would go back to plastic kicking and screaming.

I just use the Stihl bar oil jugs lol. once empty I clean the bar oil out, mix a gallon of gas and I'm good to go. I suppose if I needed more than a gallon of fuel, I could probably tie both jugs together on a rope, and sling them over a shoulder but for the cutting I do a gallon can last me a little while lol

I just use the Stihl bar oil jugs lol. once empty I clean the bar oil out, mix a gallon of gas and I'm good to go. I suppose if I needed more than a gallon of fuel, I could probably tie both jugs together on a rope, and sling them over a shoulder but for the cutting I do a gallon can last me a little while lol

Does the gas eventually eat away at the thinner plastic? I've also wondered if you can re-use the clear plastic jugs that the windshield wiper fluid is sold in. Anybody try it?

Hm, i dont know what you guys are using but i never had a plastic can fail for any reason. They're a no fuss no see-through black cans, and the oldest one is probably 15ish years old.

I'm going to get a friend to TIG weld me up a combi can out of stainless to my own specs. So there!

Our shop bad a big problem with plastic cans a few months ago.they didn't have the underwriters lab stamp on em and the ethanol was breaking down the plastic,therefore when the customer kept using the can it transferred to his saw and eventually stuck the piston ring.we redone the topend twice before we really started testing.it came down to a cheap plastic china can the ethanol, Was breaking down.plastilege or something like that that.but anyways if the can doesn't say UL approved don't trust it.it can transfer and burn the cylinder ring stuck.jmo.

I am a huge fan of the Husqvarna combi cans, though they are not cheap - but are extremely well-made and very durable:

Husqvarna Combi Fuel and Chain Oil Can

They work similarly to F1 and Nascar fuel cans. You simply push the spring-loaded tip into the opening and it fills it up to the top without spilling.

5056980-55.jpg

I am a huge fan of the Husqvarna combi cans, though they are not cheap - but are extremely well-made and very durable:

Husqvarna Combi Fuel and Chain Oil Can

They work similarly to F1 and Nascar fuel cans. You simply push the spring-loaded tip into the opening and it fills it up to the top without spilling.

5056980-55.jpg

how much do they run?

Does the gas eventually eat away at the thinner plastic? I've also wondered if you can re-use the clear plastic jugs that the windshield wiper fluid is sold in. Anybody try it?

I wouldn't try the windshield washer jugs. I think they are a different plastic and would get brittle in a hurry, like plastic milk jugs do after a while. At least the bar oil jugs are a plastic that plays well with petroleum, though I'm no scientist. And with ethanol in the picture, well.....

Duane

I just get a new plastic fuel jug every year or second year

Like what has been said in this thread; I've used plastic fuel jugs for racing since early 80's and seen what happens to them (every year they were replaced)

What happens to them that they die in a year or two?

I use a pre EPA 1 gal plastic blitz can for mix. 2 gal at a time in leaf blower season. I tried a new EPA approved no spill can. Spilled more mix in two days then I had in the previous two years. I've put away a stash of old school pre EPA spouts. I also have two 5gal military style cans. Haven't used em in a while. Better for storing, chitty for pouring.

When testing plastic gas cans for leaching, did you use new cans or old? Do they continue to leach? What, if any, we're the signs symptoms of the leaching? Aside from the saw with stuck rings?

The plastic safety cans will blow up into a ball - eventually to where they will not set upright if left out in the sun.

Now if I go out to the barn with the temperature near zero, they will have their sides sunken in.

At any case, their volume is in doubt either way to continue to hold one gallon or two gallons, whatever their original size.

They ruin just from the temperature changes.

Being red, they let sunlight through which is possibly detrimental to the fuel mix in the long run.

how much do they run?

Husqvarna Gas Can Taupo NZ - YouTube

They also make a larger one, but I haven't seen it in a while. It's worth the money, Mine has lasted 2 years so far.
Almost forgot to mention, like the F1 fuel cans, they also fill up the saw very quickly. Whatever fuel spills into the reservoir pushes the air back into the combi can via the vent int he spout. So - POW. FIlls the tank in mebbe 2-3 seconds. I love 'em.

44742849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to keep gas cans in the back of a pick up with a black bedliner. Working year round in St Louis. Temps from 0-110. Never "killed" one yet. Had a trailer spare explode in the truck bed once. Sounded like a cannon, shredded tire guts all over.

I remember my last "new" steel can. I found it collapsed in the shed. It certainly wouldn't hold a gallon anymore.

As to the question of volume, don't your gas pumps have a display?

Husqvarna Gas Can Taupo NZ - YouTube

They also make a larger one, but I haven't seen it in a while. It's worth the money, Mine has lasted 2 years so far.
Almost forgot to mention, like the F1 fuel cans, they also fill up the saw very quickly. Whatever fuel spills into the reservoir pushes the air back into the combi can via the vent int he spout. So - POW. FIlls the tank in mebbe 2-3 seconds. I love 'em.

44742849.jpg

The one I have is over 10 years old and hasn't fallen apart or changed shape at all. Only thing I'v noticed is that you can't really clean the fuel spot that well when it gets gummed after a few years use. Easier to replace it ocasionally, I think I'm on my second one now

Back